5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Inexpensive bed mat for RamBox

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wanted a bed mat for my RamBoxes. I couldn't find anything online that I liked. I did not want to buy a bed mat for a non-RamBox bed and then have to trim all the "wings" off. I am pretty confident that would have left me with edges that didn't look "factory", that I would see every time I opened the tailgate (and hate). I found this for $29.97 at Home Depot:

A 4' x 6' recycled rubber commercial door mat. The specs say it's 3/8" thick, which seems correct. The specs also say it weighs 29 #. That also seems correct. I was surprised at how heavy it is. I'm not too worried about it flying out of my truck if I'm driving with it in the back, nothing on it, and no cover on the bed. However, I will be putting a bed cover on, so that should never be an issue.

I put it in the bed upside down, marked it at the end by the tailgate, put a fresh blade in my utility knife and cut off roughly 5" from the end, flipped it over/around, and voila! I suppose it's not everyone's cup of tea, but it is just about perfect for what I wanted. A RAM logo in the center would be cool, but I guess you don't always get what you want. LOL I just wanted something that would cushion my knees a little bit, give better slide resistance than the Line-X spray-in liner I have, give a little bit of extra protection against dents in case I drop a scuba tank in the bed, and have some texture so that dirt and water that gets on it can fall down into the channels and not be held right up against whatever is in the back of my truck. This gives me all that.

I also went to Lowe's and they had one similar mat, with a "chevron pattern". But, the one at the front of the rack had a chunk ripped out of one side and I "felt" it. It continued to rip pretty easily. So, that was out. This one, being recycled rubber, may rip just as easily. We'll see. For $30, I won't complain.

I also went to Tractor Supply. They had a 4' x 6' x 3/4" rubber mat for a horse stall (I guess). It was $45. I didn't go for that because it was actually too thick (at least, for what I want). But, if this one tears up easily, I may get one of those. Trimming the end off that one would be a bear! They also had 3' x 4' x 1/2" mats for $26. If they had had that same mat in 4' x 6', I would have gotten it. But, I didn't want a 2 piece arrangement.

I put it in my 5'7" bed. Personally, if I had the 6'4" bed with RamBoxes, I would probably put this same mat in and just have 2" of exposed bed floor at each end. But that's just me - and it's just talk, since I don't have the 6'4".

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's better quality than anything designed for the bed. Brilliant idea.

Thanks! I figure I can't really go wrong for 30 bucks. If I replace it once a year, I'll be okay with it. But, I suspect it will hold up a lot better than that. At least 13 months. Ha ha...

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
StuartV,

Great idea!!!!!

I have the 6'4 bed. Does it slide much or pretty firm/in place???

Well, keep in mind that I just put it in and haven't even driven with it yet. But, putting it in and sliding it forward, it seemed like it was going to be pretty firmly in place.

ALSO keep in mind that I have a Line-X Standard spray-in bed liner. I can't really say what it will do if it's on top of a painted bed. But, it's recycled rubber.... I think it will still stay in place pretty well.

Also, it's from Home Depot. You could always go grab one, put it in, and return it if you don't like it. At least you wouldn't need to trim it to fit in your 6' 4" bed.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got myself curious, so I tested the piece I cut off. On the finished side it's the full 3/8" thickness. I could not rip it - but I'm no Ahhnold.

On the side where I cut it, the grooves are only about half as thick. I was able to rip it along a groove without too much trouble.

Based on that, I imagine a good hit on a part that has a channel in the bed right under it *could* rip a hole in it. Or even a hard glancing blow. We shall see. I'm pretty gentle on my stuff. My 10 year old 4th Gen did not have a bed liner of any kind. Only a regular rubber bed mat. It had no dents anywhere and not that many scratches.

I'll think of it as a $30 experiment.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any word on how your "experimental" bed mat is working out?

It is still in good shape. But, I have verified that if you're not careful with what you drag across it you can tear it up. For me, it's fine. I put my motorcycle in there sometimes, and carry lots of scuba gear frequently. It's holding up fine to that. But, if you're going to be carrying around bricks or concrete blocks, maybe you want something tougher.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I wanted a bed mat for my RamBoxes. I couldn't find anything online that I liked. I did not want to buy a bed mat for a non-RamBox bed and then have to trim all the "wings" off. I am pretty confident that would have left me with edges that didn't look "factory", that I would see every time I opened the tailgate (and hate). I found this for $29.97 at Home Depot:

A 4' x 6' recycled rubber commercial door mat. The specs say it's 3/8" thick, which seems correct. The specs also say it weighs 29 #. That also seems correct. I was surprised at how heavy it is. I'm not too worried about it flying out of my truck if I'm driving with it in the back, nothing on it, and no cover on the bed. However, I will be putting a bed cover on, so that should never be an issue.

I put it in the bed upside down, marked it at the end by the tailgate, put a fresh blade in my utility knife and cut off roughly 5" from the end, flipped it over/around, and voila! I suppose it's not everyone's cup of tea, but it is just about perfect for what I wanted. A RAM logo in the center would be cool, but I guess you don't always get what you want. LOL I just wanted something that would cushion my knees a little bit, give better slide resistance than the Line-X spray-in liner I have, give a little bit of extra protection against dents in case I drop a scuba tank in the bed, and have some texture so that dirt and water that gets on it can fall down into the channels and not be held right up against whatever is in the back of my truck. This gives me all that.

I also went to Lowe's and they had one similar mat, with a "chevron pattern". But, the one at the front of the rack had a chunk ripped out of one side and I "felt" it. It continued to rip pretty easily. So, that was out. This one, being recycled rubber, may rip just as easily. We'll see. For $30, I won't complain.

I also went to Tractor Supply. They had a 4' x 6' x 3/4" rubber mat for a horse stall (I guess). It was $45. I didn't go for that because it was actually too thick (at least, for what I want). But, if this one tears up easily, I may get one of those. Trimming the end off that one would be a bear! They also had 3' x 4' x 1/2" mats for $26. If they had had that same mat in 4' x 6', I would have gotten it. But, I didn't want a 2 piece arrangement.

I put it in my 5'7" bed. Personally, if I had the 6'4" bed with RamBoxes, I would probably put this same mat in and just have 2" of exposed bed floor at each end. But that's just me - and it's just talk, since I don't have the 6'4".

View attachment 29869
Great idea.

I've bought something similar for my truck. Very thick and grippy. Still looks brand new after a year and a half:

Here's the link if interested:

C81A7964-CD82-4D8B-AD68-8755A4358AB6.jpeg F6C186F3-5E41-49F7-99E9-F798114F3CFE.jpeg

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Great idea.

I've bought something similar for my truck. Very thick and grippy. Still looks brand new after a year and a half:

View attachment 45236 View attachment 45237

That looks nice. But, for half the price and thicker (3/8" - per specs, anyway), when mine tears up, I'll get another one from Home Depot.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Great idea.

View attachment 45236 View attachment 45237
You've got the 1/4-inch version? That sure looks to be thicker.

derp

Reaction score
I cheesed it. I used a scrap of carpet from my house on top of the spray in. it keeps stuff from rolling as easy as on the bedliner, and I can pull it out and throw it away as soon as I am not satisfied.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got one of these at my local feed store - they make an 8' one also

Bulletproof and thick enough to toss metal w/o any worry of dents etc

1580326512857.png

Lowly Jimson

Reaction score

View attachment 29869
Thanks for the tip, man. I ran right out to Home Depot and got one like yours but with the non skid sheet metal star design for $5 more , less my Veteran discount, and it works and looks super. It could be damaged by a sharp corner of something or a snag but I don't carry much. Again, thanks for the info.(y)

Users who are viewing this thread