5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Idea for Dual Battery Setup

stlxzerox

Reaction score
I've been doing some research for a while regarding dual battery setups for my 2022 Ram 1500 Rebel and I've come to pretty much the same conclusion as everyone else here: aftermarket support is limited and there's very few ways to easily add a 2nd battery to the Ram without a lot of work like @RAM Patriot had to do.

I came up with one idea, however, that might need some validation from this community as I'm very new to Ram (6 months). I got the idea after I came across this YouTube video of someone gaining access behind the 2nd row of seats of their 4th gen Ram. I then did a search for thin Lithium batteries and came across this guy: 12V RAZORBACK- LiFePO4 - 138Ah - 1.76kWh - BigBattery.com
So, it got me thinking, would that battery be able to fit behind the 2nd row seats? It would solve the temperature issue of having a lithium battery in the engine bay. Wouldn't need to take up truck bed space (also extreme temp issues if in the cold). I think there's some drain holes or other areas you could run cables to/from the battery.

So, first question: can you get access to behind the 2nd row of a 5th Gen like you can in the video for the 4th Gen? Secondly, will that battery fit behind there somehow if you can gain access to it? If so, it would be simple to find a spot to mount a DC-DC charger and keep your battery in temp regulated environment.

Thanks!

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Access behind the rear seats will take a bit of modification unless you have reclining rear seats. And depending on the way your truck is equipped space may be limited. The e-torque battery and subwoofer are behind the rear seats along with a few smaller modules.

stlxzerox

Reaction score
I do have the e-torque 5.7 hemi, so I guess that would complicate things. I don't want to put the battery in the bed because I plan on getting a camper sometime in the future (like a Four Wheel Slide In Camper). Unless I can find some other spot in cab to mount a battery, I may look back at doing the engine bay again.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What about dual lithium batteries in the storage boxes under the rear floor? They aren’t insulated well if at all from the factory, but you could easily insulate them and run all wires under the truck.

stlxzerox

Reaction score
What about dual lithium batteries in the storage boxes under the rear floor? They aren’t insulated well if at all from the factory, but you could easily insulate them and run all wires under the truck.
Now there's an idea....why didn't I think of that before! I'd have to take some measurements but ya, that's got merit.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I then did a search for thin Lithium batteries and came across this guy: 12V RAZORBACK- LiFePO4 - 138Ah - 1.76kWh - BigBattery.com

So, first question: can you get access to behind the 2nd row of a 5th Gen like you can in the video for the 4th Gen? Secondly, will that battery fit behind there somehow if you can gain access to it? If so, it would be simple to find a spot to mount a DC-DC charger and keep your battery in temp regulated environment.

Others have already addressed your first question, but for the "if so", seems to me this would only be a temp regulated environment if you leave the truck running or have other modifications to heat/cool the interior. Or if you live where temperatures are moderate you might just get away with it.

Other thoughts:
This is a neat component. 💲
Not sure I want something in the back seat that might spontaneously combust. :unsure:

Jase

Reaction score
so I'm working along same idea train of second battery (very thin lithium) behind rears seats,
I do have e-torque and have checked and there is enough room, just (on mine anyway), brackets may become interesting

So searching on here I found schematic below in this thread E-Torq battery benchtop troubleshooting
am struggling to 100% read screen capture, but if I read correct e-torque battery Pin 1. is Fused B+ (12VDC)- supplied from 300amp fuse F202 in Engine Compartment, other docs I found on this forum confirm that also
I can't see anything on schematic, so am assuming this is a high current direct connection to 12v battery under hood, does anyone know if there any e-torque circuitry involved or is this pin 1 direct to battery, am thinking I can use this connection on e-torque as supply to my auxiliary battery charger , save me running high current cable back to engine bay
thoughts ?

thanks
Jase

. 1674251766613.png

Blackduck

Reaction score
so I'm working along same idea train of second battery (very thin lithium) behind rears seats,
I do have e-torque and have checked and there is enough room, just (on mine anyway), brackets may become interesting

So searching on here I found schematic below in this thread E-Torq battery benchtop troubleshooting
am struggling to 100% read screen capture, but if I read correct e-torque battery Pin 1. is Fused B+ (12VDC)- supplied from 300amp fuse F202 in Engine Compartment, other docs I found on this forum confirm that also
I can't see anything on schematic, so am assuming this is a high current direct connection to 12v battery under hood, does anyone know if there any e-torque circuitry involved or is this pin 1 direct to battery, am thinking I can use this connection on e-torque as supply to my auxiliary battery charger , save me running high current cable back to engine bay
thoughts ?

thanks
Jase

. View attachment 149364
I've asked the same question on a number of sites with no real answers. I can't see why it can't be done as long as the correct circuit protection is in place. From what I make out the only thing you are doing is taking your 12v supply from the other end of the start battery charge cable. You will need to remove the second row seating to access the battery.
Another thing I'm struggling with is locating a general wiring schematic with wiring colour ID. Are they available?

Jase

Reaction score
I've asked the same question on a number of sites with no real answers. I can't see why it can't be done as long as the correct circuit protection is in place. From what I make out the only thing you are doing is taking your 12v supply from the other end of the start battery charge cable. You will need to remove the second row seating to access the battery.
Another thing I'm struggling with is locating a general wiring schematic with wiring colour ID. Are they available?
sorry no colour ID here, above screenshot of screenshot is best info I've found to date, am not sure the colours on it are correct, am new to ram (only got it 2 weeks ago) so still learning

Users who are viewing this thread