5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I need configuration advice?? ORP and Air Ride???

robbiele

Reaction score
I am looking to order a longhorn with off road package. I am also interested in the air suspension. I saw someone referring to the air suspension leveling the truck. Does air suspension level the truck? My other question is should I option a truck with both off road group and air suspension or does it make sense to have both? (I understand ORP adds more options other than just the 1" lift) THANKS

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It 'levels' the truck based on weight in the bed or if you are hauling a trailer. It does not 'level' the truck like a leveling kit if that is what you are asking.

I have both the ORP and Air suspension... I think it rides just fine.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am looking to order a longhorn with off road package. I am also interested in the air suspension. I saw someone referring to the air suspension leveling the truck. Does air suspension level the truck? My other question is should I option a truck with both off road group and air suspension or does it make sense to have both? (I understand ORP adds more options other than just the 1" lift) THANKS

I've got both and love it. The ORP is a great value, especially if you plan to keep the Falkens on it. I thought I'd give them a try vs. immediately replacing them and have been pleasantly surprised with them.
I wish my Aero height were lower but think I like the 4 position AS better than 5. Less to think about. You may have read it elsewhere, but the ORP lowest and highest positions are identical to a non-ORP AS truck. The programming is just changed to eliminate one intermediate position and remap the other two (Aero & Normal) to 1" higher than the non-ORP model. Rides great and I can offroad as much as I need to and still fit into the parking garage at the airport.

Oh, and the Entry/Exit mode from the keyfob is awesome when loading 80# bags in the bed!

cruz-in

Reaction score
Love my LongHorn with Air suspension and ORP. Although ORP does add weight, decreasing payload. Somewhare I read about 150 pounds. Not sure if that is accurate.

I too was surprised at how the Falken Tires did on the road. Thought I would be replacing them, but think I will hang onto them for awhile.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Oh, and the Entry/Exit mode from the keyfob is awesome when loading 80# bags in the bed!
Amen to that. It still surprises me (and everyone else) how low the truck gets when you hit that button. Makes a huge difference. You have to make sure you're not too close to a curb, as those side steps deploy pretty low!

robbiele

Reaction score
I don't intend to take the truck off road. However, I would like to put at least 34" tires on it. So, should I just not get the ORP and get air suspension?

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've got both and love it. The ORP is a great value, especially if you plan to keep the Falkens on it. I thought I'd give them a try vs. immediately replacing them and have been pleasantly surprised with them.
I wish my Aero height were lower but think I like the 4 position AS better than 5. Less to think about. You may have read it elsewhere, but the ORP lowest and highest positions are identical to a non-ORP AS truck. The programming is just changed to eliminate one intermediate position and remap the other two (Aero & Normal) to 1" higher than the non-ORP model. Rides great and I can offroad as much as I need to and still fit into the parking garage at the airport.

Does ORP cause Aero to be higher, compared to Aero in a non-ORP truck?

S

Smashy71

I’m biased. Airride is the shlt. I tow and hauled a decent amount and I cannot imagine not having it now that I have it.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, 1" higher. I can't figure out the logic there. IIRC, it makes E/E to Aero a 2.5" difference.

Yeah something odd is happening. In addition to Aero is it also true that ORP causes E/E to be higher, compared to E/E in a non-ORP truck?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah something odd is happening. In addition to Aero is it also true that ORP causes E/E to be higher, compared to E/E in a non-ORP truck?
There would be no need for that, if indeed the height increase is simply due to a programming adjustment to set Normal 1” higher. If that is true, then there’s no reason E/E can’t be just as low as a non-ORG air truck. I guess I’ll have to go measure at some point...

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sounds right, Speedy. But what I'm trying to get at is why the [3.21 axle + eLocker] is only available with a suspension lift.

If something is causing [3.21 axle + eLocker] to require a lift, then how is it that this setup can drop to E/E which is as low as any other truck. Or is that not true?

I'd hate to think the [3.21 axle + eLocker] has a different E/E height than a [3.92 axle + eLocker] truck. I mean this is already complicated enough.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds right, Speedy. But what I'm trying to get at is why the [3.21 axle + eLocker] is only available with a suspension lift.

If something is causing [3.21 axle + eLocker] to require a lift, then how is it that this setup can drop to E/E which is as low as any other truck. Or is that not true?

I'd hate to think the [3.21 axle + eLocker] has a different E/E height than a [3.92 axle + eLocker] truck. I mean this is already complicated enough.
Are you referring to the online configurator? Because we know it’s had many, many errors over the past year.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are you referring to the online configurator? Because we know it’s had many, many errors over the past year.

The online configurator, the feature guide, and two dealerships have been unable to configure [3.21 + eLocker] unless I get the ORG lifted suspension.

2019-01-19 20_41_55-2019 Ram 1500 - Feature Guide_ - PDF-XChange Editor.png

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score

No. I measured my running board heights to a non-ORP AS and E/E and max height was the same. Also, E/E is on the rear bump stops on my truck. It can't go any lower. No idea if non-ORP AS trucks have different bump stops but I doubt it.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No. I measured my running board heights to a non-ORP AS and E/E and max height was the same. Also, E/E is on the rear bump stops on my truck. It can't go any lower. No idea if non-ORP AS trucks have different bump stops but I doubt it.

Thank you. Is this picture right then... all settings for ORG trucks are higher... except E/E?

I see you have 3.92... but I'd assume a 3.21 with ORG would also lower to this same E/E height. So why in the world does it need a raised ride height??

Confused about that. Maybe related to why Aero is higher...?

2019-01-19 21_53_51-Ram Order Notes.docx - Microsoft Word non-commercial use.png

Last edited:

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you. Is this picture right then... all settings for ORG trucks are higher... except E/E?

I see you have 3.92... but I'd assume a 3.21 with ORG would also lower to this same E/E height. So why in the world does it need a raised ride height??

Confused about that. Maybe related to why Aero is higher...?

View attachment 14059

Yes, except max height is the same. The lowest and highest positions are the same, just the intermediate ones are higher.

ORG vs. Non
E/E = same
Aero = 1" higher
Normal = 1" higher
OR = OR2 (same)

There is no OR2 on ORG trucks but due to the remapping Normal = OR1 height and OR = OR2.

Webbd30

Reaction score

Are you running aftermarket wheels and tires? if so what size? I ordered this package and want to go as big as possible on that set up

Users who are viewing this thread