5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I just don't get it.

Kramersp

Reaction score
Hopefully the speech police dont think I'm being a "negative Nancy". I just dont understand how a 325hp/ 400tq 2.7L turbocharged V6 will blow the doors off of a truck with a 395hp/ 410tq 5.7L NA V8? I get the 10 speed vs 8 speed but there really isnt much difference in the gear spread. And you can get the hemi with a 3.92 rear. I cant wait for my Ram to arrive but does anyone have an answer as to why the same company that makes a 707hp Jeep makes such a lethargic truck?

RBRK

Reaction score
Turbos make power. I’m fine with the power of the Hemi, I’ve had 5 so far 03,09,11,13, 19. Do I think they should have come out with a new engine? Yes, but I am kinda glad because I know what I have is proven and I was worried for the first year issues of a new engine.
I think the runour of a straight six turbo might be what’s you will see. The Hemi looks back awful far and looks to be plenty of room forward for a long straight 6. Hopefully it’s good when it or whatever comes next. I predict either an option of the new engine in 2020 if it isn’t the norm by then.

Personally I want a V8 but I think those days are going away.

Kramersp

Reaction score
I get that, but a 395hp V8 shouldnt be so slow. Seriously. It should be neck and neck with the Ford 5.0 and just a tick slower than the GM 6.2L. It's not. It's only faster than that weak GM 5.3L and all of the base V6 motors. That's it. The 5.7L puts down some good numbers that the performance doesnt back up.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I haven't driven my 2.7 in almost 2 months and I don't really miss it. No turbo lag and unless your 0-60 back to back, not sure you'd notice much of a difference.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Weight, coupled with a way flatter torque curve due to turbocharging.

Agitated

Reaction score
I get that, but a 395hp V8 shouldnt be so slow. Seriously. It should be neck and neck with the Ford 5.0 and just a tick slower than the GM 6.2L. It's not. It's only faster than that weak GM 5.3L and all of the base V6 motors. That's it. The 5.7L puts down some good numbers that the performance doesnt back up.

This is a prime example of what happens when people only look at peak hp/tq numbers, instead of a power curve. Marketing is a powerful thing

Blazn

FifGen
Reaction score
You out here drag racing stock trucks? I could see if you're talking about a SRT 10 but that's not what this truck was made for. You want a fast V8 look at Dodge or Jeep or wait for the TRX. The 5.7 wasn't meant for all that. The 6.4 and the supercharged 6.1 are your answer for that.

Or slap a procharger on the 5.7 and boost <10 on stock internals and enjoy.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score

Look at the Ram getting whipped. :cautious: For the record My friends 2.7 Ecoboost Lariat crew never beat either my Ram or my friends Ram Rebel in a drag race. That said we both have 3.92s and I don't know what rear end the F150 had, I also know technically the F150 is faster but real world testing it didn't work out that way. Also the 2019 Rams are faster than the 2018s in these videos.

Against my brothers 2013 5.0 Supercab F150 I get him by a few truck lengths, a newer 10 speed one would get me though. As would the 10 speed 2.7 and 3.5.

It's not like a Ram racing any of these other trucks is like comparing a Yugo to a Corvette, they're all still pretty close. As for finding a Titan vs Ram drag race, well nobody buys Titans so....

And they're trucks. A Hemi Ram has a higher towing capacity than a 2.7 EcoBoost F150, 5.0 F150, Any Titan besides XD, All the GM 1500 trucks, any Tundra, thats a little more relevant.

EDIT:

2017 Nissan Titan
Accel 0-60 MPH: 7.33 seconds
Quarter Mile: 15.96 seconds @ 92.77 mph

2019 Ram 1500
Accel 0-60 MPH: 6.1 seconds
Quarter Mile: 14.7 seconds @ 93.7 mph

Both specs from Motor Trend.

Also from Motor Trend regarding the 2018 F150:
On the track, the F-150 Lariat 2.7-liter twin-turbo V-6 hit 60 mph in 7.0 seconds and the quarter mile in 15.5 seconds at 89.5 mph. -Admittedly one of the slower times I've seen from the 2.7 but all the specs are from Motor Trend so that keeps continuity. Car and Driver said the 10 speed 2.7 they tested was slower than a 2015 6 speed 2.7 they previously tested as well.

This did impress me though, but it's a 2wd very lightly optioned XLT so quite a bit lighter.

Why We Tested It and How It Performed: This lightly optioned crew-cab version ended up being an unlikely and unassuming hot-rod truck, equipped as it was with the optional 395-hp 5.0-liter V-8 engine, rear-wheel drive, and the 10-speed automatic transmission that was added for 2018. With a zero-to-60-mph time of 5.5 seconds and a quarter-mile run of 14.0 seconds at 103 mph, it was the quickest F-150 we’ve ever tested -Car and Driver 2018 F150 5.0 2wd Crew.

Last edited:

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The F150 crew cab is 4,529 to 5,265 lbs and the Ram Crew Cab is 4,798 to 5,372 lbs. believe it or not a couple hundred pounds makes a significant difference. Also as was mentioned the gearing of the rear end. Do they mention that or discuss it. That could be a huge difference in short versus long race. Just the weight alone though if we were to pretend the horsepower and torque were equal to each other the truck that weighed less was going to win.

I have 395 horse power and thats plenty for me. I think RAM was trying to have the 19 release be as smooth as possible. Not trying any new engine configurations that could really affect confidence in them. The fact they went with an engine that was in my 13 that I had no issues with was a big part of why I went ahead and did not wait on 2020.

The 2.7 is a cool engine option no doubt for those that want a truck but need some fuel economy and do not need a V8 pulling power and reliability but Ford is preying for a 10 speed fix right about now. RAM had the ECO Diesel but had to put it on the shelf due to some EPA issues. That was their fuel economical option. I really was wanting that engine in my new truck but couldn't wait.

I don't see a RAM lose a race to a V6TT and get too disappointed. There are many videos on the internet of cars beating other cars from a dig that we think should win.

Phoon

Reaction score
The new laramie is hitting 14 second 1/4 mile, and low 6 second 0-60. This might not be best in class but it is hardly lethargic. Similar to a vw GTI or other similar hot hatches. The eco-boost trucks feel fast at part throttle but dont have much more to give top end, non turbo v8 needs a little more revs, but sounds great and pullls hard. All the leather and wood and metal in the Ram interior must be heavier than the crappy plastic in the other trucks as well. If you want a hot rod truck get a 6.2 chevy or a regular cab r/t ram, even the 4th gen short box reg cab would hit 60 in 5.5 or so.

TalibanHater

Reaction score
Just to add my .02 cents. I currently have a 2011 Titan Pro 4X, Because it was the best value for my money at the time. I towed from dc to Phoenix and it handled that job superbly. When i stomp on it, it goes. Passing on the highway works. If the new 1500s are "quicker" than my Titan, that's awesome.

I'm looking at this new Ram for a lot of reasons, but quickness isn't one of them. I'm sure its quick enough to pass the snowbirds driving 65 when everyone is doing 80. That's good enough for me!

RT70808

Reaction score
Just to add my .02 cents. I currently have a 2011 Titan Pro 4X, Because it was the best value for my money at the time. I towed from dc to Phoenix and it handled that job superbly. When i stomp on it, it goes. Passing on the highway works. If the new 1500s are "quicker" than my Titan, that's awesome.

I'm looking at this new Ram for a lot of reasons, but quickness isn't one of them. I'm sure its quick enough to pass the snowbirds driving 65 when everyone is doing 80. That's good enough for me!
I stomp it when I need to pass someone, it goes. That’s all that’s required.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm extremely happy with my 16' with 3.92's... I'm sure I'll be even more happy with my 19.

The 5.7 has never left me wanting for more power. I'm a Mopar man, right or wrong, good or bad.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Get the 3.92 gears for sure

Mopar21222

Reaction score
Don't fear the gear :) I too was hoping for a Turbo-6 with the 2019 launch, I wonder if they are doing the same thing as in '02 when they launched the new truck with the old 360, then debuted the Hemi the next year. With the huge undertaking of back to back launches of totally new trucks, I suspect the next generation of engines will be pushed-back till at least 2021.

This will be my 4th Hemi, which is plenty adequate of an engine and the rest of the truck, especially the world class interior and rear suspension more than makes up for the lack of new engines. While I like the torque of the Ecoboosts, the interior and leaf springs are so far behind the 2019 Ram, I won't even consider an F150 or GM.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I wonder if they are doing the same thing as in '02 when they launched the new truck with the old 360, then debuted the Hemi the next year.
Some one payed attention to how Ram does this.

Plenty of good things are still coming...and there are some great surprises too I am sure

Kamikaze6780

Reaction score
I think the etorque is a great start for RAM, they can keep tweaking both the tried and true hemi and the hemi with etorque. Just keep on refining these engines as they get better and better.

As for turbo, when those suckers go out they are expensive as heck.

Users who are viewing this thread