5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to verify Bilstein 5100 setting

apexodus

Reaction score
I had the Bilstein 5100s installed at setting #5 on the front of my Rebel, but now the front is an inch higher than the rear, which does not seem to be the normal stance most people are reporting. How can you verify the position? When I look underneath the truck, there are four rings visible on the shock body, making it appear that it is set to the 5th ring. Is this what other members on setting #5 see? Any other way to verify the position?

GRB60

Reaction score
There are seven ring grooves cut in the body of the shock. Counting is the only way to verify where they're set. If they're at setting 5, you'll see2 above and 4 below.

apexodus

Reaction score
It looks like it is on the correct setting, I just ended up being high in the front. Now I need to look at a spacer for the rear I guess.... Always more money lol.

I found a pic going through the 5100 thread that shows there are 7 rings. Thanks for the response!
bilstein.jpg

MarkB67

Reaction score
The new Bilstein 5100s are actually lifting higher than the instructions say, my Bighorn is about 1/2" higher than it should be on setting#6 , but what most people don't understand is that just because your fenders might measure the same that means the truck is 1" higher in the front, put a 4 ft level underneath the doors and you'll see for yourself

steve1982

Reaction score
Make sure the spring seat is not flipped upside down. Easy mistake to make.
The 5th ring should be around 2” and it should be a tad lower in the front still.
But if you’re looking for a reason to spend money... ;)

apexodus

Reaction score
I read through the entire Bilstein thread that has over 40 pages trying to determine why mine is so high. I just don't want it to be an issue later. Clearly something is different about mine.

5thGenRebel_AMK mentioned that the Rebel does not use the included adapters that are sent with the bilsteins, and that they could have possibly been used. Below are a couple pictures of my setup, and they do appear to be sitting on an adapter.

shock2.jpg shock2.jpg

Attachments

• shock3.jpg
    shock3.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 101

cory1223oh

Reaction score
My understanding is that the adapters should not be used on a Rebel because they use a different spring seat from the stock Bilsteins than non-Rebels that need the adapter. Yours definitely has the adapter on there. If you take them out that will probably bring you down 1/2”. If you are a full inch high I’d consider also dropping down to the 4th circlip position as well.

apexodus

Reaction score
I’m dropping it off at the shop as we speak. I’m 25 5/8” from hub to fender in front. I’ve got 35s, so the front total is 42 1/4” and rear is 41”. Hoping front drops to atleast 40 3/4”

steve1982

Reaction score
Yeah. Pulled a tire and checked mine today. I put my Bilsteins all the way up on that 7th ring (the back is lifted too). See how the bottom of my spring is around the 5th ring? Yours is ~1 RCH higher than that since the spring seat is different. So whatever these are when maxed out, 2.7/2.8/whatever, yours is up higher than that.
I used the stock spring seat from my stock strut. My Bilsteins didn’t come with their own spring seat. I assume the Rebel comes with a different lower spring seat for some factory lift.

Attachments

• F1081D13-8EE6-4126-B99E-3EBF471D9D02.jpeg
    F1081D13-8EE6-4126-B99E-3EBF471D9D02.jpeg
    139.9 KB · Views: 203

apexodus

Reaction score
Hopefully this will help someone else out. It was a long process today, but it got resolved. I have a Rebel, so it already comes with Bilstein shocks, and the spring seat sits on the same snap rings that are used for the stock shock as well as the 5100s. (Stock shocks only have one groove for the snap ring, but the 5100s have 7 different grooves to allow height adjustment. Setting #5 is just the fifth groove).

As others have pointed out, Bilstein sends an adapter for non-Rebel models that allows the non-Rebel factory spring seats to sit on top of the snap rings. This should be discarded for Rebel models. In my case, the shop did Not do this and instead installed the adapters with the spring seats (on position #5), so it was pushing the front end up very high. I explained to them that the spring seat sat directly on he snap ring and they said they could fix it, no problem.

3 hours later, they tell me they are about to do an alignment and that the truck is now completely leveled by moving the 5100s down to position #4 (41 1/4” in front and back). This still seemed odd, so I ask them if they removed the adapter, and they said “no” because it had to be used with the shock. ...

luckily I had copied pictures from some of the threads here and online, and was able to show them that the adapter wasn’t needed. Another 2 hours later and the adapter was removed and the snap ring back at position #5, but the spring perch was now upside down lol. What else would you expect at this point. We got that fixed and finally did the alignment. It now sits with .5” of rake, which is what most people have reported.

Here she is, sitting at 40 3/4” up front and 41 1/4” in the rear.
50B325D3-839B-4A97-85FD-BADAE3ABA324.jpeg
4B3177D1-B003-4066-9258-B2B80D75DC9B.jpeg

Here are some of the pictures I used. The arrow is pointing to the adapter that had to be removed.
5857AF31-13AC-4A66-B693-69F3D92EE9E5.jpeg
This is an excellent picture that shows the stock Rebel Bilstein shock with the spring seat and snap ring.

FB8785D4-96CA-4385-A9B8-3B9BF62B0E97.jpeg

I will say that the shop worked with me on this and made it right without trying to charge me anything else. I’m sure they never want to see my truck again though lol.

As far as the ride, man it’s awesome Now!! With the adapters and high front end, it was rough as hell. I was regretting messing with the trucks suspension at all. So I was very happy to find that after correcting the problem the smooth ride is back! Also, I have no rubbing on stock sport 22s with Nitto Ridge Grappler 35x12.50s (no spacers). I didn’t have to do any wheel well modifications.

Mikemarshallau

Reaction score
Hopefully this will help someone else out. It was a long process today, but it got resolved. I have a Rebel, so it already comes with Bilstein shocks, and the spring seat sits on the same snap rings that are used for the stock shock as well as the 5100s. (Stock shocks only have one groove for the snap ring, but the 5100s have 7 different grooves to allow height adjustment. Setting #5 is just the fifth groove).

As others have pointed out, Bilstein sends an adapter for non-Rebel models that allows the non-Rebel factory spring seats to sit on top of the snap rings. This should be discarded for Rebel models. In my case, the shop did Not do this and instead installed the adapters with the spring seats (on position #5), so it was pushing the front end up very high. I explained to them that the spring seat sat directly on he snap ring and they said they could fix it, no problem.

3 hours later, they tell me they are about to do an alignment and that the truck is now completely leveled by moving the 5100s down to position #4 (41 1/4” in front and back). This still seemed odd, so I ask them if they removed the adapter, and they said “no” because it had to be used with the shock. ...

luckily I had copied pictures from some of the threads here and online, and was able to show them that the adapter wasn’t needed. Another 2 hours later and the adapter was removed and the snap ring back at position #5, but the spring perch was now upside down lol. What else would you expect at this point. We got that fixed and finally did the alignment. It now sits with .5” of rake, which is what most people have reported.

View attachment 56059
View attachment 56060

Here are some of the pictures I used. The arrow is pointing to the adapter that had to be removed.
View attachment 56061
This is an excellent picture that shows the stock Rebel Bilstein shock with the spring seat and snap ring.

View attachment 56062

I will say that the shop worked with me on this and made it right without trying to charge me anything else. I’m sure they never want to see my truck again though lol.

As far as the ride, man it’s awesome Now!! With the adapters and high front end, it was rough as hell. I was regretting messing with the trucks suspension at all. So I was very happy to find that after correcting the problem the smooth ride is back! Also, I have no rubbing on stock sport 22s with Nitto Ridge Grappler 35x12.50s (no spacers). I didn’t have to do any wheel well modifications.
Hey thanks for the summary I have been following this thread for a while and am planning to do this mod hopefully soon.
Did you do the UCA as well? or just the Bilsteins?
I have the Laramie with no ORP so plan to go setting 6 or 7 to get the additional lift to get to the rebel equiv height
You have the same wheels as I do so good to know that if i wanted to go with 35 12s i can do it no problems. Although i am thinking to go for some rebel take offs to get a bit more side wall
thanks to all the posts here

apexodus

Reaction score
MikeMarshallau, no I didn’t do UCAs. The balljoints look pretty good on my rebel at #5. If I planned on flexing it out, I probably would upgrade.

And yes, you should be fine with the 35s. There is a sticky on this section of the forum that tells you how to modify the wheelwell if you end up with a rub. Thankfully I havent had to do that.

Last edited:

ddssanchez

Reaction score
Wait I only have five notches on my bilsteins did I get the wrong ones?
Bilstein B8 5100 0-2.6" Front Lift Adjustable Shocks for 2019-2020 Ram 1500 New body style

Zoompastu

Reaction score
Bilstein B8 5100 0-2.6" Front Lift Adjustable Shocks for 2019-2020 Ram 1500 New body style
It’s possible you got the ones for the fourth GEN ram… 2019 2020 classic. Those have five positions only. A true fifth GEN ram 5100 has seven positions. Rebel and off-road package are not to be set higher then position five because their spring is longer then the non Offroad package

Last edited:

apexodus

Reaction score

Definitely should be 7 rings as this picture shows.
F1CBC063-7FA9-4815-9340-7264F92A8557.jpeg

Atlantic Blue

Reaction score

View attachment 56059
View attachment 56060

View attachment 56061

View attachment 56062

Glad you got it figured out. I know how frustrating issues can be.

And thanks for confirming that 5100s only ride rough if installed incorrectly.

apexodus

Reaction score
Glad you got it figured out. I know how frustrating issues can be.

And thanks for confirming that 5100s only ride rough if installed incorrectly.

Yes sir, troubleshooting this stuff is stressful when a shop doesn’t have much experience with a particular model. This forum is a great resource and hopefully this situation contributes to its value.

And the ride is fantastic. For my truck, it is as good as stock, and that is very important to me.

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
I have a ORP truck, so would I need to use the adapters on setting #5 to level the truck?

Users who are viewing this thread