5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to set trailer gain? Ram 1500

country4life

Reaction score
Hi I have a 2020 ram 1500 and I’m towing a u haul motorcycle trailer and on my dash it says 5.5 gain I’ve never towed with this truck before what should the gain be? It’s a light u haul motorcycle trailer

RockYacht2020

Reaction score
Does it have electric trailer brakes? If no brakes, it doesn't matter. If it's super light and you don't own it, just put it on 5 and be done with it. There's a specific way to set it outlined in the manual, but for something light it will never matter, especially if you're borrowing something. Someone on here will disagree, but that's the easy way for now.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Does the uhaul trailer have electric brakes? I rented one of their small bike trailers a few years ago and I dont remember it having brakes.

country4life

Reaction score
Does the uhaul trailer have electric brakes? I rented one of their small bike trailers a few years ago and I dont remember it having brakes.
I don’t think so how do I check it for electric brakes ? It’s a 4x9 motorcycle trailer

n8zcc

Reaction score
I don’t think so how do I check it for electric brakes ? It’s a 4x9 motorcycle trailer
First look at the trailer's electrical/lighting connection to the truck, if it is a four-pin connector you are done looking and the trailer likely has surge braking. Surge braking has a tongue in the hitch that puts hydraulic pressure on the trailer's brakes when the trailer hitch puts forward pressure on the ball. Looking at the trailer's hitch, you can easily see surge brake components.

If the trailer has electric braking, your truck will recognize that and the DIC will tell you it detected a trailer connected.

If it has the seven-pin lighting connector, look at the inside back of the wheels, look for a wire. I highly doubt the trailer has electric brakes simply because the majority of vehicles do not have a trailer brake controller. I believe most states do not require trailer brakes until the trailer reaches a GVWR of 3,000 pounds, other states specify 1,500 pounds.

Check this document for your state's requirements;

country4life

Reaction score
First look at the trailer's electrical/lighting connection to the truck, if it is a four-pin connector you are done looking and the trailer likely has surge braking. Surge braking has a tongue in the hitch that puts hydraulic pressure on the trailer's brakes when the trailer hitch puts forward pressure on the ball. Looking at the trailer's hitch, you can easily see surge brake components.

If the trailer has electric braking, your truck will recognize that and the DIC will tell you it detected a trailer connected.

If it has the seven-pin lighting connector, look at the inside back of the wheels, look for a wire. I highly doubt the trailer has electric brakes simply because the majority of vehicles do not have a trailer brake controller. I believe most states do not require trailer brakes until the trailer reaches a GVWR of 3,000 pounds, other states specify 1,500 pounds.

Check this document for your state's requirements;
Thanks for the reply yes it’s a four pin connection

RockYacht2020

Reaction score
Great. Then you have nothing to worry about. Just hook it up and tow it away!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
As mentioned. Uhaul trailers have surge brakes.

As you stop the trailer pushes against the truck activating the brakes on the trailer.

Look at the tongue of the Uhaul trailer. You will see the system.

For future reference...if a trailer has electronic trailer brakes....you will be using the 7 pin plug.

Users who are viewing this thread