5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to properly break in an engine?

kmck94

Reaction score
First time poster, just got a 19 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab. This is my first new vehicle and was wondering how you can properly break in an engine. Should I be doing 0-60 runs or keeping it below 3k rpms? When does everyone change their oil for break in. I know manual says around 5k miles but I won’t be waiting that long.

1Raider

Reaction score
I would go out and run several 0-60 runs and 60-0 to bed the brakes in. Then I would take it out and run it up to the speed limiter a few times safely...

Not sure if anyone knows where the speed limiter is set at on these new ones yet. This is just what i'm gonna do with mine.

On my diesels I usually hook them up to something heavy to build some heat in them and cool off a few times and call it good.. Seems to work good for me as I haven't had much troubles out of the trucks I do this procedure with...

Kramersp

Reaction score
The procedure is in the manual. It basically says no full throttle low gear runs, vary your RPMs and 50mph is preferred with jabs at the throttle. All for the first 300 miles.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I put about 150 miles on mine to see if there was any glaring problem then the next night I drove 1200 miles in a 19 hour period. I now have about 2200 miles on and fixing to make the 1200 mile drive home Sunday. This time it'll be a 2 day trip because I'll have my 86 year old mother in law with me. She'll be spending her first winter away from Michigan...... About time.... ;)

Ramajama

Reaction score
I’ve been doing it the same way for over 25 years. For awhile, first 300-500 miles, I vary my speed on the highway some. I’ll also give it some hard accelerations on the highway then let it coast back down.
In town I don’t baby it but I don’t drive it like I stole it either. I’ve always believed that an engine needs load and plenty of heat/cool cycles during “break in”...
However I do not tow until after roughly 1000 miles. Always worked for me.

Well, only thing I do differently is that I used to change the oil at about 2k miles. For the past several years I’ve just waited for my first scheduled oil change. Again, no issues.

Last edited:

Flot

Reaction score
I would go out and run several 0-60 runs and 60-0 to bed the brakes in. Then I would take it out and run it up to the speed limiter a few times safely...

That's practically the opposite of what the owners manual tells you to do. Even towing - no towing first few hundred miles. Running up to the speed limiter a few times is a terrible idea.

Common sense applies here. Don't take it TOO easy on the truck but don't flog it either. Drive like a reasonable human being the first few hundred miles. Vary your speeds. Avoid long interstate trips (or anything) at a constant RPM. If you have the ability to let it heat cycle, (IE driving for 20-30 miles, letting it cool, driving another 20-30 miles) let it heat cycle. The occasional 80% throttle run (say from 10 mph to 50 mph) isn't going to hurt it and will probably help.

Drive it the way you'd like a friend to if you loaned it to him. After the first 300-500 miles, flog away.

Internal engine problems are pretty rare these days across any brand. But there's no reason not to follow a reasonable breakin schedule, although I wouldn't count on the average consumer even thinking twice about it.

Personally, I prefer to change the oil the very first time around 1000-1500 miles.

PTRAM

Reaction score
If your driving down the Interstate before the first 300 miles do what I did. Exceed the speed limit by about 3 mph and hope you still don't get run over.

787BigHorn

Reaction score
Just hit 303 on my BigHorn all highway miles. Had to push her to 100mph today to make it to the airport without missing the flight

787BigHorn

Reaction score
If your driving down the Interstate before the first 300 miles do what I did. Exceed the speed limit by about 3 mph and hope you still don't get run over.
Lmao that’s what happened to me on day one but exceeded the speed limit about 10mph lol

cnote

Reaction score
Drove off the lot in my first ever Ram, previous Ford owner, only had 15 miles on it. Had to drive down I-70 to get home, drove a little over the speed limit. Have driven around town a little. Going to South Dakota on an ice fishing trip at the end of the month. Should I set the cruise and speed up slow down every 50-100 miles? Probably do first oil change when I get back.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Drove off the lot in my first ever Ram, previous Ford owner, only had 15 miles on it. Had to drive down I-70 to get home, drove a little over the speed limit. Have driven around town a little. Going to South Dakota on an ice fishing trip at the end of the month. Should I set the cruise and speed up slow down every 50-100 miles? Probably do first oil change when I get back.
You are probably going to get a number of different opinions, but now is the time to really get to know your new vehicle and research the manual. I would recommend following Rams instruction.

However, in lieu of that, just take it easy for the first 500-600 miles or so. Keep the RPMs low, avoid passing other vehicles, vary your road speeds if possible, no full throttle!

Best of luck with the new ride.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 027898 miles.

barr0208

Reaction score
bought mine in barrhead alberta drove to lloydminister up and down hills 40 to 60 mph went from lloydminister to st paul alberta up and down hills same speeds twice then drove to winninpeg Manitoba at 65 to 70 mph total miles around 800

mvfjet

Reaction score
I bought my RAM about 90 miles from home so I had to drive home all highway. Pretty much the whole way I was varying RPM with 50-90 MPH pulls by rolling into the throttle slowly followed by engine braking. Probably did that 20+ times since I had plenty of miles to eat up. I also drive in tow/haul mode to not let MDS kick in. Actually I always drive in tow/haul mode to not let MDS kick in. My commute is all street traffic so there is a lot of varying RPM daily.

I was pretty happy my truck only burned 1/2 quart of oil on its first oil change at 2000 miles. I was even happier that at 5000 miles it didn't move a MM on the dip stick on the new oil. Now at 7,000 miles the oil level still hasn't moved. I'll be going from PYB to PUP at my 10000 mile oil change.

PTCnole

Reaction score
New Rebel owner here. I drove it off lot with 12 miles on odometer. Had 170 miles to home. Tried to stay off interstate for as much as I could (120 miles)...only knew to keep it under 55 mph for the rest of the trip. Didn't vary the speed on the interstate in effort to not get run over LOL. Remainder of my 300 miles has been spent local driving so lots of varied soeeds and acceleration.

two Qs:
1) should I hit another 150 miles of break in with varied speeds to make up for the long trip home that had little variation?

2) How long should I wait to tow my bass boat? I'm dying to fish...weather is amazing.

Kend7737

Reaction score
I just picked up 2022 Longhorn 5.7L MDS VVT e-torque Hemi, 3.92 diff. 27K package, HUD and safety option, level 1 package with Coil spring suspension. My first truck was a Ram back in 1980 (yes I'm that old, lol). my second was a 360, all were 1500s. It's good to come back home, and I'm not disappointed! Yes, it is essentially a 2021 with a few bells.

Engine Break-n from the manual.
"A long break-in period is not required for the engine and drivetrain (transmission and axle) in your vehicle. Drive moderately for the first 300 miles (500km). After the initial 60 miles (100km), speeds up to 50 or 55 (80-90km) are desirable. While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the limits of local traffic laws contribute to a good break-in. Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental and should be avoided." p151.

So my best guess is:
So, some brief spurts of acceleration (after 60 miles I assume) seating of the rings as usual. I assume the vehicle should be driven on the gentle side for the first 300 miles. I have taken it on the freeway twice within the first 60 miles (my bad), but kept the speed at or below 60. I'm assuming from the manual, it may be best to keep the vehicle at 50-55 or lower until I get 300 miles on it. A.K.A. stay off the freeway for your first 300 miles.

While I've read others feeling things being a bit rough on the low end, I have been gentle with the low end from the beginning. Mine had 12 miles on it before I got it, has about 60 on it now. I've noticed that as I continue to be gentle with starts from a dead stop, It is smoothing out. I was glad to hear someone else mention that they probably have a chip that is learning how I drive but also trying to optimize everything that is going on. The MDS VVT trying to work with e-torque is a very sophisticated system that contributes to your fuel economy, power, and smoothness of ride. Seems reasonable to give it a chance to figure out a few things before I start putting my foot into all that torque.

Users who are viewing this thread