5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to lowring on air ride suspension

Flufdk

Reaction score
Update Sep. 2023 and 82.000 miles later.

Yes I did it :)

I manage to drop my RAM 4/6" with air ride, and it is so much that you can not have your fingers between the tire and inner fender, and it still have the same driving comfort as OEM air suspension. I do not know how much weight it can handle now, but I have not had a problem it could not handle yet.

If you only want to level the rear suspension, is my recommendation to make 1, 2, 3, 7 and 9.

It is at my own risk to use my guide and I am just a ordinary man with lot of ideas in my head. And remember this is not a walk in the park, but requires you to know what you are doing.

Front:
Update:

I have replaced the IHC control arm with Belltech drop spindles and it is 200% better. Everything is like factory, just lower :love:

Here I have only used lower control arm from IHC suspension. + adjustable links. There is no link at IHC some you have to call or whrite to Johnny Link to IHC
And get a proff to align the front wheels.

Rear:
Now it gets very nerdy and difficult.

1. Here I have made my own air supension, where I have 3D printed top & bottom, which I have placed the files at Thingiverse. Between the 3D printed part I have bolted Firestone 9000 air suspension bags. I am happy to help with it, but it is at my own risk to use my parts. (see picture below) Guide to replace the air suspension with ALFAOBD Air spring replacement.

2. Firestone 9000 air suspension bags. Link to eBay And Connect Tube Fitting

3. Shock is switch with MaxTrac 4 "Drop Rear Shock. Link to Maxtrac

4. Control arms are move 7 " down with IHC suspension cut kit. Link to IHC

5. Sway bar links change with IHC suspension. Link to IHC

6. Trac bar bracket also shift with IHC suspension. I unfortunately ordede it for gen 4, but I fixed it by extending it. Link to IHC Gen 4!!!!

7. Bumpstop completely away.

8. Core4x4 Tier 3 adjustable control arms - rear set to correct the angle the driveshaft correctly. Link to Core4x4

9. Raising the gearbox. More photos coming soon.

10. Adjustable links. Link to Revel Performance

Picture at entry/exit mode, on a beach in Denmark.
20211021_152355496_iOS.jpg

20211017_131135841_iOS.jpg
20211017_125046452_iOS.jpg
20210811_180522324_iOS.jpg
20211018_135937275_iOS.jpg

Attachments

• 20211018_135937275_iOS.jpg
    20211018_135937275_iOS.jpg
    439.5 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

popstatwo

Reaction score
Any issues with rubbing? Are you planning on keeping those wheels?

Bay Area RAM

Reaction score
Yes I did it :)

I manage to drop my RAM with air ride so much that you can not have your fingers between the tire and inner fender, and still have the same driving comfort as standard OEM. I do not know how much weight it can handle now, but I have not had a problem it could not handle yet.

Front:
Here I have only used lower control arm from IHC suspension. + adjustable links.

Rear:
Now it gets very nerdy and difficult.

1. Here I have made my own air supension, where I have 3D printed top & bottom, which I have placed the files at https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5027123. Between the 3D printed part I have bolted Firestone 9000 air suspension bags. I am happy to help with it, but it is at my own risk to use my parts.

2. Shock is switch with MaxTrac 4 "Drop Rear Shock.

3. Control arms are move 7 " down with IHC suspension cut kit.

4. Sway bar links change with IHC suspension.

5. Trac bar bracket also shift with IHC suspension. I unfortunately ordede it for gen 4, but I fixed it by extending it.

6. Bumpstop completely away.

7. Adjustable links.

Picture at entry/exit mode, on a beach in Denmark.
View attachment 108718

View attachment 108720
View attachment 108721
View attachment 108722
View attachment 108724
ER du dansk ?

that’s gotta be a danish backdrop….. looks like a typical working farm. Nice truck by the way….

Drivinfast247

Reaction score
I see an outer tie rod failure in the near future.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Flufdk

Reaction score
I see an outer tie rod failure in the near future.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Woo spot on.
I knew it did not aligned properly, because I want to be absolutely sure of what height at normal level I want it to be, before I had the front wheel alignment. So today I got it aligned and with a little bit over positive caster on purpose. I am so happy for my lowrider truck

1635273873459.png

Normal Level
Åbn billede

Flufdk

Reaction score
Just a little update.

I have for some time had very small vibration when I drive over 80 mph, which I have found out was the rear axle being angled incorrectly in relation to the driveshaft after I add the IHCs cut kit. I have ordered the Core4x4 Tier 3 adjustable control arms - rear set to correct the angle correctly again.

But otherwise run my RAM like a dream, even with full load on bed is there no problems at all. :)

Last edited:

avooocado

Reaction score
I just got a 1500 big horn. Wife and it do not like how hard it is to reach/load the bed. Would like to lower temporary while parked . It would make things so much easier. This looks like what I may need. Just the air bags. I will run stock height when driving

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flufdk

Reaction score
I just got a 1500 big horn. Wife and it do not like how hard it is to reach/load the bed. Would like to lower temporary while parked . It would make things so much easier. This looks like what I may need. Just the air bags. I will run stock height when driving

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately, if you lower the rear so your wife can easily load it, it will not get the same height as it has now in normal.

Flufdk

Reaction score
Just a little update.

I have for some time had very small vibration when I drive over 80 mph, which I have found out was the rear axle being angled incorrectly in relation to the driveshaft after I add the IHCs cut kit. I have ordered the Core4x4 Tier 3 adjustable control arms - rear set to correct the angle correctly again.

But otherwise run my RAM like a dream, even with full load on bed is there no problems at all. :)

I manage to remove the vibrations at high speed, by raising the gearbox and adjusting the rear axle. I have added pt 8 in my description.

Last edited:

Terrible_One

Reaction score
So did you get this to work with the stock air control system so you still have full raise/lower functionality from the factory?

Terrible_One

Reaction score
Yes full functionality as it was the day i got it from new, even the driving comfort is perfect as factory.

Badass. Thank you so much for posting this. I'm also willing to bet someone like IHC or Air Ride will make a kit like what you built. If not, I'm doing what you did, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread