5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to install Update on 12" when not Factory installed

Nozzleman

Reaction score
So, I have the 12" that I installed in my truck, a 2021 Big Horn.
I don't see a way for me to do an update. I'm assuming it has a built in radio/receiver.

Appreciate any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You will not receive an over the air update because your VIN says that you have a different radio.

Two things you can try is first, call Uconnect and see if there is any way to update the record for your truck (doubtful) or second, see if a dealer will flash your radio...for which he'll likely charge you.

If you purchased the radio from one of the infotainment companies, contact them.

Nozzleman

Reaction score
Thanks for those suggestions. I'll reach out to MVI, I purchased it all from them.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Isn’t it possible to install an update via a USB stick? Not sure if @Nozzleman can download it, but perhaps someone else?

Nozzleman

Reaction score
That's a good question. Maybe someone will chime in on the update via USB.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
With my '15 and 8.4 we used to be able to download the image but not so once they updated the software for OTA updates. With the 12 I think it is likewise OTA only unless you can get the dealer to flash it.

Dandodge

Reaction score
Curious as well , I have a 12inch and would also like to get the updates

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Circling back on this. Can anyone with a 12" screen try this, and see if you're able to successfully download the update (using your VIN)?

Nozzleman

Reaction score
Circling back on this. Can anyone with a 12" screen try this, and see if you're able to successfully download the update (using your VIN)?

I did it, but it said no.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody know if the Uconnect software is the same for 8.4" as it is for 12"? Or do they have two different parallel versions for each screen size?

If so, I was thinking that someone with an 8.4" screen could successfully download the update from the site, then FTP you the file. If the 12" screens will even accept a USB update.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anybody know if the Uconnect software is the same for 8.4" as it is for 12"? Or do they have two different parallel versions for each screen size?

If so, I was thinking that someone with an 8.4" screen could successfully download the update from the site, then FTP you the file. If the 12" screens will even accept a USB update.
8.4 and 12" are different and there are multiple versions for both 8.4 and 12 depending on the model year and hardware version. I'm pretty sure Uconnect abandoned the USB updates once everyone got the update to allow OTA (they sent everyone a usb stick to update their radios) so I don't think that a consumer would have one. The dealers can download the software but I believe that they flash via their wifi tool but I'm not sure.

Users who are viewing this thread