5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How long does it take for your doors to lock when driving away?

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
When I first got the truck the doors locked very quickly when I started to drive. Lately, I've noticed it may take me driving over 20 MPH or sometimes 1/4 mile or more before the doors lock. It's not consistent, but not at all like it was a month ago. Anyone else?

LincolnSixAlpha

Reaction score
When I first got the truck the doors locked very quickly when I started to drive. Lately, I've noticed it may take me driving over 20 MPH or sometimes 1/4 mile or more before the doors lock. It's not consistent, but not at all like it was a month ago. Anyone else?

Never bothered to read the manual, however, I think it's a function of speed, vs time. I wanna say 10 mph but don't quote me.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Very inconsistent for me. Usually quickly, but sometimes not until I'm 1/4-mile down the road (like you wrote).

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Maybe when you first got the truck you had a lead foot? All jokes aside mine lock at 15mph.

Baron74

Reaction score
^^This. Have to hit 15 mph to engage locks.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have noticed mine to act the same as OP and few others. I never put much thought to it other then maybe it the loose nut behind the wheel. Now I see others saying same. I’ll keep a eye on it

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have noticed mine to act the same as OP and few others. I never put much thought to it other then maybe it the loose nut behind the wheel. Now I see others saying same. I’ll keep a eye on it
Yeah, I’ll be doing at least 35 downhill sometimes when I notice it happen. But it’s rare...like the occasional ’running board fails to retract until I’m driving away’ issue. Not a big deal, but a little glitchy.

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
Mine are all over the place. I'd say probably 75% of the time they lock at the right speed, other times I'll be near 40mph by the time they finally lock.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I thought of a couple of fixes, probably easier than going to the dealer:

1. Don't try to open the door if you're moving, or
2. Don't try to open the door until you're driving at least 20 MPH or have gone 1/4 mile, whichever comes first, or
3. Just hit the "Lock" button with the finger closest to the "lock" button before you start driving.

:p OK, I'm fooling around, but seriously: when was the last time you tried opening the door when you were driving? If I had kids or mental patients in the back, that I was afraid would try to exit while in motion, I'd lock the truck myself before I got moving rather than worrying they might try to exit while the vehicle was going 10 MPH.

JimC

Reaction score

2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn. Doors lock around 17 -18 MPH. Speed is normal back country road acceleration.

Users who are viewing this thread