5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How I Put a Dog Kennel Inside the Crew Cab

jent

Reaction score
The primary job for my 1500 is hauling my dog and dog training gear. When I only have one dog I would prefer them to be in the cab with me, but I think a kennel is a must for the dogs safety. The Ram 1500 Crew Cab luckily has plenty of space to work with. I thought I would share my modifications in case it gives anyone else with a similar need ideas.

What I did was I took dense insulation foam and cut it in layers. Each layer would be cut so that it holds to the floor as much as it can. Then building up with another custom cut layer. This let me produce a solid foundation that is holding to the truck, and also allowed for a gap so the rear storage divider can remain folded out. I also cut the foam so that the portion close to the door has an angled slope cut in, allowing access to the floor storage bin still. In total it was 4 layers of foam glued together, and then it was topped with a sheet of 1/2" plywood (only needing a couple cuts in the corners for the seat bracket to fit at this height). After the glue all dried I then wrapped the foam and wood in bulk spandex fabric and also covered the folded up seat to help protect it.

The kennel I used is from TNC Crates, they were able to custom make exactly the size I needed to fit into this space. This one is 34in long, 24in wide, 28in tall. Their dimensions are interior dimensions so the exterior of the kennel is slightly over that. In all it's pretty much as big as it could be for the space.

I am really happy with how this came out. It can be easily removed if I need full use of the truck (rarely). I still have one fully usable rear seat and the storage underneath it. And for me the dog being able to easily exit both sides was a huge plus.

I know my needs are atypical, but hopefully this gives someone else some good ideas. And if anyone has ideas for improvement, I am all ears!

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The primary job for my 1500 is hauling my dog and dog training gear. When I only have one dog I would prefer them to be in the cab with me, but I think a kennel is a must for the dogs safety. The Ram 1500 Crew Cab luckily has plenty of space to work with. I thought I would share my modifications in case it gives anyone else with a similar need ideas.

What I did was I took dense insulation foam and cut it in layers. Each layer would be cut so that it holds to the floor as much as it can. Then building up with another custom cut layer. This let me produce a solid foundation that is holding to the truck, and also allowed for a gap so the rear storage divider can remain folded out. I also cut the foam so that the portion close to the door has an angled slope cut in, allowing access to the floor storage bin still. In total it was 4 layers of foam glued together, and then it was topped with a sheet of 1/2" plywood (only needing a couple cuts in the corners for the seat bracket to fit at this height). After the glue all dried I then wrapped the foam and wood in bulk spandex fabric and also covered the folded up seat to help protect it.

The kennel I used is from TNC Crates, they were able to custom make exactly the size I needed to fit into this space. This one is 34in long, 24in wide, 28in tall. Their dimensions are interior dimensions so the exterior of the kennel is slightly over that. In all it's pretty much as big as it could be for the space.

I am really happy with how this came out. It can be easily removed if I need full use of the truck (rarely). I still have one fully usable rear seat and the storage underneath it. And for me the dog being able to easily exit both sides was a huge plus.

I know my needs are atypical, but hopefully this gives someone else some good ideas. And if anyone has ideas for improvement, I am all ears!

Nice looking setup, thanks for sharing it with us!

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Forgot to mention, feel free to post some pictures of your dog and your setup in this other thread we have going here as well. We always love seeing people share their pictures of their best friends!

yellowboy

Reaction score
Man I get frosted when I see a moron driving with his dog walking around in the bed of a truck, tied or not, covered or not. I think some people think they are "cool" doing it - no you are an ahole. When you have to stop suddenly or get hit where are these dogs going to end up. It should be made illegal on the public roads PERIOD !

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Man I get frosted when I see a moron driving with his dog walking around in the bed of a truck, tied or not, covered or not. I think some people think they are "cool" doing it - no you are an ahole. When you have to stop suddenly or get hit where are these dogs going to end up. It should be made illegal on the public roads PERIOD !

Yeah, me too. I’ve never understood why someone would do this. Surprise, dogs don’t have thumbs and cannot grab ahold of something to keep from flying out of the truck bed. Also, if tied up with a leash, the dog would most likely be strangled or decapitated in an accident. And, next time they put their dog in the bed, they should remove their shoes and walk on super hot metal in the bed like the dog has to. If you don’t like dog hair in your vehicle or nose art on the windows, don’t take the dog with you. It’s that easy.

Users who are viewing this thread