5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you wash your truck?

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
First wash and I don’t want to **** it up with swirl marks and what not. How do you guys wash your car? Touch less car wash, hand wash? If you hand wash, what do you guys use? Planning to do hand wash but with autozone products. Figured microfiber towels and hand mitt (taking off the tags so it won’t scratch). Meguiars car soap, tire cleaner, and whee cleaner. Then just a wheel shine product.

jkratze1

Reaction score
I had the same worries about swirl marks as well since my truck is dark blue. I've washed my truck by hand twice so far and no noticeable swirl marks yet. I use a power washer with soap bottle attachment to wet and apply Meguiares car wash to the truck so applying soap is touch-less. I use a clean wash mitt to scrub areas as needed. I have a bucket of clean water to rinse off the wash mitt as I go. Finally, I power wash off the soap. I use clean microfiber towels to dry the truck.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck is ceramic coated so I only hand wash. I give it a rinse with a pressure washer then foam it using a pressure washer / foam cannon and reset car shampoo. Let it flash, rinse it and foam it again. I then use a large hand mitt to wash it, no circles! straight up and down, some side to side as needed, rinsing the mitt thoroughly between panels in a bucket of clean water. I’ll re-foam if needed as I work my way from top to bottom.

Wheels and tires get a separate mitt as well as one that is flat to get in the back of the wheels. I’ll rinse it and foam the whole truck again to get rid of any spots that may have occurred. Let it flash and then a final rinse just using an open ended hose. You’ll be surprised how little drying you will have to do when you use a free flowing hose as water will shear away.

I grab 2 large micro fiber towels and dry it. One is the “worker” if you will and the other the finisher.

Sounds like a lot and maybe a little over the top but it takes me a little over an hour from walking back to the shed to get the pressure washer, do the deed and put the pressure washer away.

I do not use wax or anything as it is ceramic coated and looks like it just left the detailer after a wash. I will shine the tires as needed.

Oh, forgot to mention, do not wash in direct sunlight. Only shade, early mornings or evenings. Sun and water do not mix with paint well and create stubborn spots.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I hand wash my truck, I use a microfiber mitt and microfiber towels to dry. I must have washed it half a dozen times so far and no swirls yet.

syddog 2000

Reaction score
My local car wash with a monthly subscription. The wash equipment is new. My truck is a lease so every three years new. no worries!

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Only thing to add is use 2 buckets. One with soap and the other to rinse the mitt off before it goes back into the soap.

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Only thing to add is use 2 buckets. One with soap and the other to rinse the mitt off before it goes back into the soap.
That’s what I’m thinking about doing. Going to a self serve car wash. 2 buckets. Mitt. Just use the power washer for rinsing and filling buckets.

Yedi

Reaction score
I've become a believer in these waterless car wash products. I'm in auto body and very picky. When I first heard of this, I thought, what a joke. The stuff i use is made by "predator" but is no longer available, I've see similar products that look the same, it's blue with a white sediment that needs to be shaken. It's some kind of acrylic technology. It beads water like you wouldn't believe and fills swirls.... seriously.

I spray this on, then buff off without 2 microfibers. My 99' Tahoe, Black looks immaculate, and no swirls, I rarely wash it.

I did my 19' Rebel with this stuff when I first bought it, and when I had my windows tinted the tint guy commented how slick my truck was and what did I do to it... lol. Science is cool. The days of waxes are gone.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181112-114446.png
    Screenshot_20181112-114446.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 102

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Only hand wash. One bucket with grit guard if not too dirty. If I can't get to it and have to skip a week because of rain, etc, then two buckets.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One bucket of rinsless wash like Optimum No rinse, Ultima Waterless, or Echo2oh. I fill it full of microfibers in the water, and use one towel per section, depending on the dirt level. Fresh microfiber to dry each panel. As I'm using a new microfiber for each section, I don't have to use a grit guard. If I"m using a grout sponge or something similar, I'll stack two grit guards on top of each other in one bucket.

If really dirty, I"ll hit with a hose to knock off the obvious caked on stuff, and then do the same process.

Some times in the summer I'll do a two bucket wash that requires rinsing, but I always wonder why afterwards. If the truck has a ceramic or sealant on it, the washing process goes extremely fast.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hand wash, 2 buckets as mentioned. I wash twice then claybar on the first wash with a new car. I instruct the dealer "DO NOT TOUCH" on delivery. I take off the plastic, protective films, etc. After the first wash comes a good polish, then wax. A slick clean paint takes wax better and doesn't hold impurities that accumulate from Detroit acid rain and railroad metalic particles. You can actually feel that stuff in the paint...until after you claybar. Then it's smooth as silk.

Last edited:

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I also make sure the service advisor puts a note in my file that's says "Do Not Wash". And then I still put a post note ony steering wheel that says the same thing when leaving it.

Lakewake

Site Supporter and Tracking
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Reaction score
Two bucket method, soap buck and rinse bucket. Since the ceramic coating, its quick and easy.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Two bucket method, soap buck and rinse bucket. Since the ceramic coating, its quick and easy.
Did you apply the Ceramic Coating yourself? I've been considering giving it a try if it's fairly low risk for a detailed person to do.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did you apply the Ceramic Coating yourself? I've been considering giving it a try if it's fairly low risk for a detailed person to do.

I'm not Lakewake, but I did my ceramic coating myself. It was my first ceramic. Not that different than doing a sealant honestly. I went with Cquartz UK 3.0. It was a little on the cold side when I applied, so that caused slower flashing. The product was more grabby than I anticipated as well. I love the results, but I might try out a different coating on my wife's car in the spring to compare the two, likely PolishAngel.

Lakewake

Site Supporter and Tracking
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Reaction score
No, I went with the Ultra, which is only available to pro detailers. You can get the Serum light, but the reviews was tilted to the ultra. Plus I was a Chicken to do it myself:whistle:

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No, I went with the Ultra, which is only available to pro detailers. You can get the Serum light, but the reviews was tilted to the ultra. Plus I was a Chicken to do it myself:whistle:
Lol. I'd be scared too if the product is difficult to apply. Perhaps the Ultra is super tough but applies and dries like Krazy Glue? Yikes.

I've just read up and the Cquartz UK 3.0 is fairly forgiving for the careful DIY'er. Looks like prepping before application is the most important part.

ptrnfan

Reaction score
I've become a believer in these waterless car wash products. I'm in auto body and very picky. When I first heard of this, I thought, what a joke. The stuff i use is made by "predator" but is no longer available, I've see similar products that look the same, it's blue with a white sediment that needs to be shaken. It's some kind of acrylic technology. It beads water like you wouldn't believe and fills swirls.... seriously.

I spray this on, then buff off without 2 microfibers. My 99' Tahoe, Black looks immaculate, and no swirls, I rarely wash it.

I did my 19' Rebel with this stuff when I first bought it, and when I had my windows tinted the tint guy commented how slick my truck was and what did I do to it... lol. Science is cool. The days of waxes are gone.

Wow!!!! That thing looks clean as hell. Is there a replacement for the product made by them?

immersivenc

Reaction score
Search out the “JunkMan” on YouTube. I’ve been using his two bucket wash method with grit guards for years now and it always works out great.

Yedi

Reaction score
Wow!!!! That thing looks clean as hell. Is there a replacement for the product made by them?

thanks man, I **** you not, that's the original paint too! 2nd owner. Originally the product was made by Bullet, then they changed the name to Predator, now its gone...even their website....weird. Ive seen similar products that have the same color, that must be the same thing.. I bought a gallon of this stuff so it last a while.

Users who are viewing this thread