5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Holes in Front Bumper

x50

Reaction score
From the looks of it, all RAMs come with 4 holes on the front bumper for a front license plate. I'm in a state that does not require a front license plate. Anyone using plugs or are they just putting any front plate on?

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Plugs on mine. About $5 for 4 plugs at Lowe's. These are just plain ol' Christmas tree style fasteners found in the "automotive fasteners" drawer by the screws and nails. With a white or red truck I may be inclined to spend $25 for a painted set, but for darker colors I think the black plastic blends just fine.

From 10-20 feet they aren't even noticeable on mine.
IMG_20211104_1129125.jpg

If you're right up on it, you see them but they don't really look out of place.
bumper hole plugs.jpg

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Plugs on mine. About $5 for 4 plugs at Lowe's. These are just plain ol' Christmas tree style fasteners found in the "automotive fasteners" drawer by the screws and nails. With a white or red truck I may be inclined to spend $25 for a painted set, but for darker colors I think the black plastic blends just fine.
From 10-20 feet they aren't even noticeable on mine.
View attachment 110290

If you're right up on it, you see them but they don't really look out of place.
View attachment 110291
OP- This and a less than $10 bottle of duplicate color touch up paint would probably be good enough if you wanted to do the labor yourself.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Good gawd you guys are cheap. The painted plugs are $25 not $2500. 🤣
The difference in price could pay for this!

Idahoktm

Reaction score
The difference in price could pay for this!
The only chick dropping her panties for that start button is some lot lizard at a Tulsa truck stop. 😂

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
From the looks of it, all RAMs come with 4 holes on the front bumper for a front license plate. I'm in a state that does not require a front license plate. Anyone using plugs or are they just putting any front plate on?

I bought a bag of 100 black plastic plugs that you can leave black, or color match with a rattle can …. I paid $4 for the whole bag …. Lol …. PM me your address, and I’ll send ya 4 of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good gawd you guys are cheap. The painted plugs are $25 not $2500. 🤣
The average hourly wage for private sector worker in a non-supervisor position (ie the average American worker) is $25.83 per hour.
The painted set cost $25. So what you're saying is that if your boss said, "hey the company is running a little short on funds this week but we'll trade you these four plugs if you work the next hour" you'd take that deal? Because that is essentially what you're doing when you buy stuff.
If your boss said "or we'll trade you these four black plugs and some touchup paint for 15 minutes of work instead", wouldn't that be preferential? I don't know about you, but I'm working 15 minutes instead of the hour for the same outcome.

It's not about being "cheap." It's about not being frivolous. Just because you have money, doesn't mean you should waste it. The most frivolous people I've met are those who can least afford it. Wealthy people who slowly amassed their fortune (not celebrities/athletes who've had millions handed to them in a windfall) will tend to do the $5 fix over the $25 option if the outcome is essentially the same. Honestly, the wealthy person would probably just leave the holes alone and not waste any money on it since it doesn't affect the function of the truck.

Anyway, the point is, it's a difference of $20. You're right, it's not going to break the bank for most people, but why not save that extra $20 for something else?

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
I just bought the gm part number plug that was posted here a while ago, I think they were $5 at auto zone

x50

Reaction score
I bought a bag of 100 black plastic plugs that you can leave black, or color match with a rattle can …. I paid $4 for the whole bag …. Lol …. PM me your address, and I’ll send ya 4 of them

Looks like @Acogs91 sells painted ones for a good price so I think I am going to go that route. Thanks for the offer though.

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone who thinks they’re going to prime, spray with Mopar color matched paint and hit with three coats of clear coat for $25 shipped to your door for a set of 4 is kidding themselves.

Those materials, gas to and from the parts store and your time will cost you more than $25. Based on the $25 per hour theory above after you spend the time going to get all the materials, setting up, then doing the work you’d probably be lucky to break even just on your time.

I’d rather support the entrepreneurial spirit of a fellow forum member (who does an excellent job) and the US Post Office.

But hey if “just fine” or “good enough” was the look you were going for when you bought your $50K - $70K truck then knock yourself out.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought mine from Acogs, they fit well although I just noticed the paint is completly peeled off one of them, but you can barley tell since my truck/bumper is black.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm all for supporting a local seller and/or forum members. However, if someone has a night edition (like I do) they've already got a ton of black accents all over the truck. There's no need to pay for a painted plug when black plugs match all the other trim. If you call that "good enough" or "just fine" then I guess you need painted plugs to be satisfied with the look. It's your money, spend it as you see fit. I was only offering insight to a potentially overlooked option which costs a fifth of the price. Obviously everyone has their own opinion on what looks good, and that's okay, so do what you think looks best for your truck.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought mine from Acogs, they fit well although I just noticed the paint is completly peeled off one of them, but you can barley tell since my truck/bumper is black.
I'm surprised you bought painted with a black truck. The difference has got to be negligible.

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm surprised you bought painted with a black truck. The difference has got to be negligible.

I painted the bumper plugs on my daughter’s metallic black CX-5 …. Matte black plastic plugs on metallic black didn’t look good to me …. To each his own

Acogs91

Reaction score
Thanks for the support everyone! [mention]Biga [/mention] send me a message and I will send you out another plug!

Users who are viewing this thread