5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hitch with integrated scale

morrpar

Reaction score
Greetings!
I am moving from a 2500 to a 1500 (on order...) and as I peruse the forums, I have become aware that tongue weight is critical for these smaller trucks. Has anyone used the receiver hitches on the market that have a scale integrated into them? I am curious as to the accuracy of these units. Any recommendations?
The max trailer I plan to tow is about 6K. I would like to be able to know the tongue weight and load the trailer for best results.

Thanks,

wsutard1

Reaction score
Greetings!
I am moving from a 2500 to a 1500 (on order...) and as I peruse the forums, I have become aware that tongue weight is critical for these smaller trucks. Has anyone used the receiver hitches on the market that have a scale integrated into them? I am curious as to the accuracy of these units. Any recommendations?
The max trailer I plan to tow is about 6K. I would like to be able to know the tongue weight and load the trailer for best results.

Thanks,
I was about to purchase one but then started looking at reviews. Tons of reviews that state the load gauge fails after a short while. Even the warranty is very short on it.

Ended up sticking with a dumb hitch.

bombaman

Reaction score
Better to get an eTrailer or Shureline hitch weight scale if your concerned about tounge weight. I have the eTrailer and was worth the investment. Even with my non-standard hitch (ProPride/Hensley) I can still measure hitch weight using the tounge jack.

The weight safe hitches are good, but a dynamic load is going to eventually cause issues with the hydraulics

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I purchased one of these Weigh Safe Hitches.

The price difference between the $!00 and $125 versions is if it comes with Ball Already.
I have a 2 5/15 SS ball to go on mine so i got the cheaper version. I also have a 2" SS Ball.

Malodave

Talon4U2NV

Reaction score

only brand that comes to mind.. I think the concept is cool... thought about it but have not any issues with my B&W stuff..... I came from a 1 ton diesel myself... i'm not sure if this half ton will stick yet with me... I have not owned a gas truck in over 20 years. But I like the truck and it is comfy.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Greetings!

Thanks,
I’ve used the Weigh Safe 6” drop hitch with scale for well over a year and I love it, the scale is pretty accurate from what I’ve found, it is a bit pricy but well worth it to me, it’s saved me a few times from being way over payload.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve used the Weigh Safe 6” drop hitch with scale for well over a year and I love it, the scale is pretty accurate from what I’ve found, it is a bit pricy but well worth it to me, it’s saved me a few times from being way over payload.
It's an interesting concept, but it looks like they made no provision to lock out the gauge once you've weighed. Seems to me that bouncing around while driving will be very hard on the gauge and possibly cause pretty quick failure. My thought was that you could use one of these while loading, but swap in a solid hitch for the drive.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's an interesting concept, but it looks like they made no provision to lock out the gauge once you've weighed. Seems to me that bouncing around while driving will be very hard on the gauge and possibly cause pretty quick failure. My thought was that you could use one of these while loading, but swap in a solid hitch for the drive.
Yeah that’s a good point, I don’t know how many miles I’ve driven with the hitch, probably only a few thousand last year, still seems pretty accurate. If you want a scale for just a reading I think something like this might be of interest!

Users who are viewing this thread