5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hitch mount bed step?

antwon412

Reaction score
Anybody have any experience with one of these? Seems like it might be a nice option. Cheaper than the Undermount, pull out bed stop by far. Obviously wouldn’t work with the tailgate down, it would be nice to step up on if you’re reaching over into the back of the truck

B6335099-3EE2-4625-B490-518473108BE4.jpeg B6335099-3EE2-4625-B490-518473108BE4.jpeg

BiGJZ74

Reaction score
I actually love it, folds up out of the way. Others are huge and always there. Without it stepping on to the bumper could scratch the painted edge. With the step u can stand on the step then step into the protected surface on the bumper so it doesn’t get scratched as much. My step is made by Carr but pretty similar. Plus the step is a little further away from the tailgate so it gives u more room to maneuver. Unlike other opinions by people who don't use it, it serves my purpose. I don't tow, so hitch would be unused otherwise...I now use my tailgate pad for my mtb instead of bike rack. Step helps me climb in to truck with gate up. I am also gonna get an AMP bed step2 so I can step up from side then on to tire to get in bed. For me the corner bed step although i'm 6ft tall wasn't a comfortable climb with my short legs LOL. It works perfectly for my needs of making use of an unused space and making it easier to climb into truck with tailgate up, collision protection was a bonus. If you need more from it, then its not for you.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 130
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:

BiGJZ74

Reaction score
I actually love it, folds up out of the way. Others are huge and always there. Without it stepping on to the bumper could scratch the painted edge. With the step u can stand on the step then step into the protected surface on the bumper so it doesn’t get scratched as much. My step is made by Carr but pretty similar. Plus the step is a little further away from the tailgate so it gives u more room to maneuver
On another note, I got rear ended at a traffic light and the hitch step (folded up) protected my bumper from any damage at all. collision was about 10mph

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use one of these, bought it from amazon.

thebluegoat

Reaction score
I actually love it, folds up out of the way. Others are huge and always there. Without it stepping on to the bumper could scratch the painted edge. With the step u can stand on the step then step into the protected surface on the bumper so it doesn’t get scratched as much. My step is made by Carr but pretty similar. Plus the step is a little further away from the tailgate so it gives u more room to maneuver. Unlike other opinions by people who don't use it, it serves my purpose. I don't tow, so hitch would be unused otherwise...I now use my tailgate pad for my mtb instead of bike rack. Step helps me climb in to truck with gate up. I am also gonna get an AMP bed step2 so I can step up from side then on to tire to get in bed. For me the corner bed step although i'm 6ft tall wasn't a comfortable climb with my short legs LOL. It works perfectly for my needs of making use of an unused space and making it easier to climb into truck with tailgate up, collision protection was a bonus. If you need more from it, then its not for you.
Can confirm the plastic rubs through the paint when you step on the bumper to get into the bed. My 4th gen is doing it and rusting where the plastic meets the paint

Bo3liwe

Reaction score
Hello
Where did you get this step? Any link please

BiGJZ74

Reaction score

rebel without a cause

Reaction score
Looks like it's a cheaper alternative and will do the job. Why couldn't Ram have just built a step on both sides of the bumper like Chevy!

Stony0604

Reaction score
I have the bump step from weather tech. It's a nice step, and added protection from people looking at their phones pulling up behind you at lights.

Hockeygod1225

Reaction score
Any pictures of this? really Like to see how bright the lights are.
Sorry it took so long. They are definatley brighter than the oem lights at night.

Attachments

• 20200419_145706.jpg
    20200419_145706.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 87
  • 20200419_145659.jpg
    20200419_145659.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 85

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
with all due respect I'm a little confused here. Aside from the hitch step I recommended which can be used with tailgate up and down, all other posts here show a hitch step that once the tailgate is deployed is useless. ??

Users who are viewing this thread