5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hemi tick

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That’s lifter noise. Has it sat for a long time recently, what weight oil is in it, is the oil low, and how long is it been since an oil change?

if you have fresh oil, you could try a dose of hotshot’s fr3 or stiction eliminator. I’m not guaranteeing that will work, but it’s worth a try.

RichRios

Reaction score
That’s lifter noise. Has it sat for a long time recently, what weight oil is in it, is the oil low, and how long is it been since an oil change?

if you have fresh oil, you could try a dose of hotshot’s fr3 or stiction eliminator. I’m not guaranteeing that will work, but it’s worth a try.
The truck does sit in the garage a lot sometimes a week or two without running. Put it this way I got the truck in September 2018 and I only have 10,000 miles. The oil was not low and the oil change was done two months ago by the dealer. And they use 5W 20

Mr.Grid

Reaction score
The truck does sit in the garage a lot sometimes a week or two without running. Put it this way I got the truck in September 2018 and I only have 10,000 miles. The oil was not low and the oil change was done two months ago by the dealer. And they use 5W 20
When you’re driving 50 mph down the road with the windows closed and sound system off what does it sound like inside ????

RichRios

Reaction score
When you’re driving 50 mph down the road with the windows closed and sound system off what does it sound like inside ????
I hear nothing….only hear it while under the hood

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Under the hood, that's what it should sound like being so close. If you can't hear that with the hood down from the outside of your truck or inside while at idle, than I don't think there is an issue.

Hemi tick is pretty loud with the hood down, it's pretty obvious.

silver billet

Reaction score
To me that sounds like injector noise, they all do it. The injectors have that slight ticking too but it's a higher frequency than lifter tick, and also softer. Probably completely normal but taking another video with the hood closed and walking around the front of the truck would help confirm that (to me anyway).

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's the injectors cycling, nothing to be alarmed about. The two main causes of the more serious versions of the "hemi tick" are caused by failed lifters or cracked headers (which goes away when the engine warms up)...both of which are much louder and will be very noticeable over the regular injector cycling noise.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
To me that sounds like injector noise, they all do it. The injectors have that slight ticking too but it's a higher frequency than lifter tick, and also softer. Probably completely normal but taking another video with the hood closed and walking around the front of the truck would help confirm that (to me anyway).
That’s a good point, those are pretty similar. Guess a stethoscope may help in finding the source, but I think that’s iffy also. I really don’t think it’s an issue either way though.

Mr.Grid

Reaction score
I hear nothing….only hear it while under the hood
Perfectly Normal what you hear under the hood at idle. Don’t even give it a second thought. If there was an engine valve train problem you’d hear it at driving speeds, acceleration or deceleration, not idle.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I noticed a similar sound to this the other day, did someone say it's more likely to happen if your truck has sat for a couple of days?

I wasn't worried cause I couldn't hear it in the cab unless my window was open, and even then it was pretty faint. Only standing outside my truck near the engine.

RichRios

Reaction score
cold start….seating for 3 days…..let me know what you guys think

RichRios

Reaction score
Definitely 100% normal from the outside. Once you get close, it sounds like fuel injectors to me.
I wish I could hear it from someone else’s truck in same gen….might go to a Ram dealer to acted like I want to buy a new truck just to compare a new one…lol

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I wish I could hear it from someone else’s truck in same gen….might go to a Ram dealer to acted like I want to buy a new truck just to compare a new one…lol

That sounds like a good idea, maybe just ask a bored looking sales guy and maybe he would help you out with starting a truck on the lot. Or maybe some guy at the Walmart or Home Depot parking lot and ask if you can hear it, most I think would be cool with it.

Just to be clear, did something change in the sound of your truck that made you wonder if this was an issue? I've heard plenty of RAMs, and yours sounds exactly how it should, at least based on your videos. Hemi tick is loud and obvious, did you watch some of the videos of actual ticks? Not suspected ones, but ones confirmed as ticks? They sound very different.

RichRios

Reaction score
That sounds like a good idea, maybe just ask a bored looking sales guy and maybe he would help you out with starting a truck on the lot. Or maybe some guy at the Walmart or Home Depot parking lot and ask if you can hear it, most I think would be cool with it.

Just to be clear, did something change in the sound of your truck that made you wonder if this was an issue? I've heard plenty of RAMs, and yours sounds exactly how it should, at least based on your videos. Hemi tick is loud and obvious, did you watch some of the videos of actual ticks? Not suspected ones, but ones confirmed as ticks? They sound very different.
I did the worst think you can do and watched a video that showed up on my YouTube feed about hemi tick. So then I went to my truck and started it to see if I could hear anything. And down the rabbit hole I went!!!!!!

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I did the worst think you can do and watched a video that showed up on my YouTube feed about hemi tick. So then I went to my truck and started it to see if I could hear anything. And down the rabbit hole I went!!!!!!

Lol, been there. Let me say, Hemi tick sounds obvious, yours sounds like regular injectors firing. But no one is going to convince you until you probably hear another truck or two or three.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The last time I googled toe pain, Mayo Clinic told me I have 6 months to live…

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
cold start….seating for 3 days…..let me know what you guys think
Truck sounds fine. Those are the injectors. If you had a cracked manifold or a lifter tick it would be very noticeable from outside the truck.

Users who are viewing this thread