5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hemi throttle hesitation

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Been noticing since I picked up my truck a few weeks ago it has a little hesitation when taking off from a dead stop.

At first I attributed it to start/stop but noticed it also does the same when it’s disabled. Only way I can explain it is a slight hiccup when the gas pedal is first pressed just right. Easing into it it’s not bad but moderate and hard throttle from a stop it’s definitely noticeable. My last two Hemi’s had a very slight hesitation but this one is much more pronounced.

It’s pretty annoying so I’m planning on taking it in but just wanted to see if anybody else has experienced this as well.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I don't notice a hiccup, but when I first got my truck, the gas pedal felt a little lazy. Compared to my 2008 Tundra, it felt like I had to move the gas pedal twice as far to get the same result. It bothered me enough that I ordered a Banks Pedal Monster. By the time I got the Pedal Monster, I got used to the stock gas pedal, so I sent it back before I installed it.

If the above isn't your problem, you might be able to recalibrate your drive by wire. I have not tried any of these myself, but they seem to work based on the responses.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is a sublte delay, and there is no way around it. People will tell you throttle controller, but all that will do is make the pedal more sensitive (i.e. you don't need to get into it as far to make it get up and go) - it will not make the truck actually get moving from a dead stop any quicker. To fix that would require some kind of actual tune.

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve experienced this and it not what I expected from etorque. The earlier versions did not act this way. They were very smooth and almost imperceptible to me. This version really is not smooth at all.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Been noticing since I picked up my truck a few weeks ago it has a little hesitation when taking off from a dead stop.

At first I attributed it to start/stop but noticed it also does the same when it’s disabled. Only way I can explain it is a slight hiccup when the gas pedal is first pressed just right. Easing into it it’s not bad but moderate and hard throttle from a stop it’s definitely noticeable. My last two Hemi’s had a very slight hesitation but this one is much more pronounced.

It’s pretty annoying so I’m planning on taking it in but just wanted to see if anybody else has experienced this as well.
I had a 19 and now a 21 both etorque. I recently had a 22 loaner, and the new system on the 22 is much different, when I let off the brake, it was dead, no movement at all, my 21 is rolling as soon a I let of the brake! Also the 22 would shut off before completely stopped, my 21 won’t shut off until the truck is completely stopped! In my opinion the older system operated much better!

Dewey

Reaction score
I currently have an Autostop Eliminator. Start/Stop has been turned off so I can eliminate that from being the problem. From what understand the eTorque is now disabled so any issue now is completely related to the motor and throttle response.

I’ll try the calibration procedure listed above tomorrow and see if that makes any difference.

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Be curious to hear what your thoughts are on the reset. I did try it as listed above and it did not help much that I could tell. I also got the update from RAM and I think there is a slight difference. I tell you, the surging/hesitation sucks, especially when trying to creep close in to something like my garage door. The engine will shuts off while still rolling a but then kicks on and lurches ahead. Makes things exciting. The hesitation when taking off is just annoying. I wish I had test driven a 2022 before ordering mine as I might have reconsidered the Etorque. I wish @RamCares would chime in as I think it is simply a programming issue.

Dewey

Reaction score
I didn’t have much hope it would work but the calibration trick seems to have made a nice improvement. Throttle sensitivity seems to be much more accurate than before. I almost bought a Pedal Commander but think I am pretty happy how it is now so will hold off. Thanks for the tips guys. I appreciate it.👍🏻

Dewey

Reaction score
Which method did you use? #2?
Yes. Just did a 70 mile drive with a lot of stops then harder acceleration up to 60 mph and no doubt it’s much improved.

RamCares

Reaction score
Be curious to hear what your thoughts are on the reset. I did try it as listed above and it did not help much that I could tell. I also got the update from RAM and I think there is a slight difference. I tell you, the surging/hesitation sucks, especially when trying to creep close in to something like my garage door. The engine will shuts off while still rolling a but then kicks on and lurches ahead. Makes things exciting. The hesitation when taking off is just annoying. I wish I had test driven a 2022 before ordering mine as I might have reconsidered the Etorque. I wish @RamCares would chime in as I think it is simply a programming issue.
Hey there!

We can assist with this if you've taken your vehicle to the dealer! If you'd like, send us a direct message!

Callie
Ram Cares

mlj

Reaction score

Hey there!

We can assist with this if you've taken your vehicle to the dealer! If you'd like, send us a direct message!

Callie
Ram Cares
I'm having the same problem. Took it to the dealership and they did a RAM update. No luck. What kind of calibration are ya'll talking about? I didn't see anything on these posts.

dmitryDS

Reaction score

Try this link

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
The throttle relearn helps, but it will go back to “normal” if you drive conservatively as it will “learn” your habits.

Ron_Burgandy

Reaction score
My 19 has the same hesitation. Very annoying. Not an E-Torque model, though. Had it since driving off the dealer lot new. Had the dealer check it then, but said there was nothing wrong. Here I am 5 yrs later, and still having same problem. Guess I will try the relearn and see if that helps.

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine seems to have gotten worse and I thought it was the e-torque shutting off but canceling the engine stop made no difference. Kind of sucks when I am rolling forward to make a turn across traffic and there is a lag in throttle response. Once it does go the damn thing is jerks ahead. Feels dangerous when you are planning to make that turn during heavy traffic and it just sits there. Feels like forever but it probably is half a second.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Mine seems to have gotten worse and I thought it was the e-torque shutting off but canceling the engine stop made no difference. Kind of sucks when I am rolling forward to make a turn across traffic and there is a lag in throttle response. Once it does go the damn thing is jerks ahead. Feels dangerous when you are planning to make that turn during heavy traffic and it just sits there. Feels like forever but it probably is half a second.
My 22 Limited has had that since new.
Nothing fixes it. Air intake, tune, disable start\stop, throttle controller.
Ive almost been tboned at least 20 times since I have had this truck.
Only way to get it to respond normal is to set a throttle booster to a huge amount, and then it acts like you are going pedal to the floor, which is whole different problem.

It's almost like the truck wants to wait and retard the throttle thinking we might of hit it by mistake.

Alejandro_Andretti

Reaction score
I think it’s the traction control. No idea why but when I turn mine off via the switch under the aC it’s much better when taking off from a stop..

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I think it’s the traction control. No idea why but when I turn mine off via the switch under the aC it’s much better when taking off from a stop..
What truck do you have?
There are a few differnet transfer cases with different types of traction control, and different methods on how to turn them off.
None of them adjust how my truck handles the "lag"

Insanity

Reaction score
Mine hesitates also, sometimes I wonder if it is a torque converter or transmission issue.

Users who are viewing this thread