5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hemi performance plug in tuners ... any experience?

Tommydent

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has experience with a performance tuner on the 5.7 hemi. I have a 2023 GT on order and may look for a tune for it. I had one on my 2014 F150 for almost 10 years and was very happy with it.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has experience with a performance tuner on the 5.7 hemi. I have a 2023 GT on order and may look for a tune for it. I had one on my 2014 F150 for almost 10 years and was very happy with it.
It has more to do with who is doing your tuning more than what device you use

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The canned tunes on my i3 were really good. Didn't notice much difference more then that after getting a custom tune.
I only have a ram air intake and Borla Exhaust for performance upgrades though so I think the truck was just well tuned at the factory unlike other cars\trucks.
You will need to unlock your ECM, and it might not be possible on a 2023 yet. I had to wait several months after getting my 22 before I could ship mine off to get unlocked.

Tommydent

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. What about the piggyback throttle response improvers? Any experience with one of those?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. What about the piggyback throttle response improvers? Any experience with one of those?
I have a sprint booster. It changes the throttle curve. Claims to make the throttle body open quicker but I don't believe it. It helps a little but not a huge deal. Other people swear by them.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have a sprint booster. It changes the throttle curve. Claims to make the throttle body open quicker but I don't believe it. It helps a little but not a huge deal. Other people swear by them.

Sprint booster and devices like that (banks pedal monster) which piggy back onto the pedal harness, they don't actually change the speed that the throttle body opens. All they change is the sensitivity of the pedal, so that you need less pedal travel to get the same reaction out of the computer/engine. So you could tehnically get the same effect out of your truck by just mashing the pedal a little faster/further.

This is the oldest trick in the book, I remember driving a 1992 VW jetta that was so jumpy off the line it was pretty annoying around parking lots. It felt strong off the line just because of how much power was being delivered vs how little pedal was being pressed. But mash the pedal for a 0 to 30 and I could probably outrun it on my pedal bike (<-- wee little joke), it was actually completely gutless.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Sprint booster and devices like that (banks pedal monster) which piggy back onto the pedal harness, they don't actually change the speed that the throttle body opens. All they change is the sensitivity of the pedal, so that you need less pedal travel to get the same reaction out of the computer/engine. So you could tehnically get the same effect out of your truck by just mashing the pedal a little faster/further.

This is the oldest trick in the book, I remember driving a 1992 VW jetta that was so jumpy off the line it was pretty annoying around parking lots. It felt strong off the line just because of how much power was being delivered vs how little pedal was being pressed. But mash the pedal for a 0 to 30 and I could probably outrun it on my pedal bike (<-- wee little joke), it was actually completely gutless.
Yes I know.
They change the throttle body position vs peddle distance curve if you think of it as a graph. with the X\Y access of throttle physical position vs throttle digital position. They are not 1:1 from the factory
I checked my throttle position and when I adjust the Sprint Booster settings it does adjust what it thinks the peddle is at any given point but it still starts at 0-5% position and goes all the way up. On the highest setting I am getting around 14% when I just touch the throttle, with it turned off I am at 7%. With it all the way up I can get to 7% but it's much harder. It does feel like it's increasing the range of motion settings at a linear rate vs the stock where you need to go far further on the peddle to get the same %, ie 50% throttle is not 50% open.

Just because the peddle is 50% pushed down doesn't mean the computer is saying you are at 50% throttle and it's easy to see if you connect into the trucks systems.

The claims about opening the throttle body is the manufactuer claims and could possibly be true if the signal is getting retarded to the actuator, but I believe that is done on the other side so the SB can't change the delay I have.

Nowhere does it say it makes your car\truck faster or anything of that sort nor does it cut out low or high end throttle positions on the peddle.

That said I don't think they are worth $300. $100 sure.

Users who are viewing this thread