5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hemi broken manifold bolts

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Hey. So apparently I have the broken manifold bolts issue.

I'm going to the dealer tomorrow to get it fixed under warranty(still under powertrain warranty).

Do you guys think by any chance they can tell me that my muffler delete caused that issue?
I want to make sure before I go there so I'll put the muffler back on haha
The muffler is the only thing that was removed and a straight pipe was installed in its place.

Video of the sound(can be heard on passenger side only):

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Depending on your dealership, they can blame anything they want to. "Sorry sir, you didn't check your blinker fluid. Failure to change that regularly can cause broken exhaust manifolds, voiding your warranty."

If you have a good dealership, no, they should not say your muffler delete did that.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Depending on your dealership, they can blame anything they want to. "Sorry sir, you didn't check your blinker fluid. Failure to change that regularly can cause broken exhaust manifolds, voiding your warranty."

If you have a good dealership, no, they should not say your muffler delete did that.
I mean... yeah they can say that about anything... but common sense, is it something that's related to the issue?

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I mean... yeah they can say that about anything... but common sense, is it something that's related to the issue?
Some more mechanically inclined folks can chime in and correct me if I am mistaken, but if it was related, there would be a loooooooot more issues with it. Many, many people swap their muffler for aftermarket, swap to cat-back system (including muffler), or do a delete.

Many whom are completely stock (4th gen and now 5th gen) also have had this occur, from what I read.

Conclusion: No, from the evidence so far, I'd say muffler delete does not cause this. :) (y)

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Some more mechanically inclined folks can chime in and correct me if I am mistaken, but if it was related, there would be a loooooooot more issues with it. Many, many people swap their muffler for aftermarket, swap to cat-back system (including muffler), or do a delete.

Many whom are completely stock (4th gen and now 5th gen) also have had this occur, from what I read.

Conclusion: No, from the evidence so far, I'd say muffler delete does not cause this. :) (y)
Thanks for your help Mr. Chew toy

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
No problem Mr. Manny Man. :)

Had the broken bolts (not quite as loud as yours though) on my 2014 due to warped manifolds. Manifolds and bolts replaced under powertrain warranty.
Do you know if they use better bolts when they fix it or is it something that's gonna happen every certain amount of miles?

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Cannot say on the 5th gen.

For the 4th gens, many FCA mechanics claim the bolts were a different part # than the factory units, so they were supposedly improved. However, I saw mixed results. Some had it time and time again, some had it fixed once and never had symptoms again.

On my 2014, I did not hear the classic leaking/tick noise again until I traded her in. For some reason, I did not save the receipt for the warranty work on the 2014 in my normal place, so I cannot recall how many miles I had it after the fix (before trade), but it was definitely in the tens of thousands of miles.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Well... Got to the dealer today...
The conversation went like this:

DL: What's up?
ME: I have this ticking noise, I think the manif....
DL: OKAT LEAVE IT IN PARK AND COME BACK IN 4 HOURS, I'LL REPLACE YOUR MANIFOLD BOLTS!
ME: 😲

Problem solved... they extracted the broken bolts(two of them) and installed new manifold and bolts on the right side of the engine.. That was simpler than I thought it would be haha

Ramjack

Reaction score
Would it make sense to replace the stock bolts with ARP bolts when the truck is new to avoid this?

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Would it make sense to replace the stock bolts with ARP bolts when the truck is new to avoid this?
I guess... Preventive maintenance is always good, I just don't think it's a big deal, if it breaks, replace it. It's covered under warranty(I've heard sometimes up to 150k miles)

Ramjack

Reaction score
I guess what I'm thinking is: If the bolts break after warranty, it's kind of an expensive fix. It might be cheap insurance to replace the bolts with ARPs early. On the other hand, using ARP bolts might cause the manifolds to break?

Burnzie

Reaction score
When I had my 09 Ram it was in the shop many times for this issue (lifetime warranty) so they were having this issue back then.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
When I had my 09 Ram it was in the shop many times for this issue (lifetime warranty) so they were having this issue back then.
How can you sell a Lifetime-warranty Ram?????

I guess what I'm thinking is: If the bolts break after warranty, it's kind of an expensive fix. It might be cheap insurance to replace the bolts with ARPs early. On the other hand, using ARP bolts might cause the manifolds to break?
There's so much stress on this area, something will break. idk if replacing the bolt is going to fix anything...

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's why I said that... You can't get that anymore, so how can you get rid of it? I'd make the first Ram 1500 to hit a million miles if I had one haha

Never thought I’d give up the Lifetime warranty on my Durango either, but ended up selling it to get the Ram. Oh well.

Burnzie

Reaction score
How can you sell a Lifetime-warranty Ram?????

There's so much stress on this area, something will break. idk if replacing the bolt is going to fix anything...
It came standard in 09, last year they had it. Was a huge selling point for me. My first Hemi, im now on my 4th.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online