5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with Tire Decision

ktl5005

Reaction score
Hello everyone. 2019 Ram 1500 Limited here.
Just about time for new tires. Keeping the 275/55/20
I have it narrowed down to the following :
-Cooper AT3 4S
-Toyo AT3

Primarily becuase both of them meet requirements for the mountain symbol for winter month.
Falkens I can't get locally.

Need help deciding between the two. Thanks

1D32319

Reaction score
Are you looking for P or LT tires? I refuse to put P tires on my trucks as tires are the last thing I ever want an issue with and I typically overdo them-heck I had E rated Wildpeaks on a Tacoma.

I also upsized one inch in diameter to 275/60/20.

I wanted the Toyo AT3s, but not available in D or E rated.

My local options ended up being D rated BFG ATs, D rated Falken Wildpeaks(unobtanium), or E rated Cooper AT3 XLTs. I'm not a BFG fan as I've had too many issues with their older designs.

I ended up ordering and installing E rated Nokian Rotiiva AT Plus in 275/60/20. https://www.nokiantires.com/all-season-tires/nokian-rotiiva-at-plus/ Simple, utilitarian tires.

All four of the above mentioned tires have the 3PMSF.

If you're not familiar with Nokian, they are a northern part of the world tire brand. The make tires in Finland(their HQ), TN USA, and Russia. My tires are vodka flavored.

My local dealers couldn't source them, so I ordered from Amazon-Simple Tire shipped for Amazon. All four tires had May 21 date codes. Bonus that i get 5% cash back for shopping at Amazon.

No longer term reviews from me as I've only had them on since Friday.

ktl5005

Reaction score
Are you looking for P or LT tires? I refuse to put P tires on my trucks as tires are the last thing I ever want an issue with and I typically overdo them-heck I had E rated Wildpeaks on a Tacoma.

My local options ended up being D rated BFG ATs, D rated Falken Wildpeaks(unobtanium), or E rated Cooper AT3 XLTs. I'm not a BFG fan as I've had too many issues with their older designs.

I ended up ordering and installing E rated Nokian Rotiiva AT Plus in 275/60/20. https://www.nokiantires.com/all-season-tires/nokian-rotiiva-at-plus/ Simple, utilitarian tires.

If you're not familiar with Nokian, they are a northern part of the world tire brand. The make tires in Finland(their HQ), TN USA, and Russia. My tires are vodka flavored.

My local dealers couldn't source them, so I ordered from Amazon-Simple Tire shipped for Amazon. All four tires had May 21 date codes. Bonus that i get 5% cash back for shopping at Amazon.

P rated is fine. If i upsize from 275/55 to 275/60 the load rating drops.

JBV

Reaction score

i'll be curious as to your longer term perceptions of these tires as they are on my short list but in the LT275/70/18 size, along with the Yokohama Geolander G015 and the Sumitomo Encounter AT. the Sumitomo is the older parent of Falken tires and though they are not that common, the local pro shop (huge place, well regarded) uses the Encounter on their service trucks and they rate them very highly. they also sell the Nokian brand and the Rotiiva are also growing in popularity.

1D32319

Reaction score
Living in BC, I'm sure you're familiar with the Nokian brand. They (especially their Haks) were hugely popular when I lived in AK. While I don't get AK or Canada snow cover here, we're at least five months out of the year covered and will be more once I move an hour north of here. I found a whole bunch of positive anecdotal reviews hunting around forums which included folks from Alberta, BC, Montana, ND/SD, etc. I'm looking forward to trying them out this winter.

It seems like the AT Plus should be an upgrade over the ATs in the form of advertised better wear and slightly redesigned tread. I have no experience with the Sumitomos or Yokohama. When I was in AK, I ran BFG ATs in the summer and studded Hankook RW11s in winter. I'm trying to stick with the one tire for all seasons down here in the L48. Considering the amount of salt used to deice the roads here, I'm sure I'll have no problem. The Nokian AT Plus were also a good $25 per tire less expensive than the Cooper AT3 XLT or BFG ATs I looked at.

Last edited:

Blue Streak Ram

Reaction score
Hello everyone. 2019 Ram 1500 Limited here.
Just about time for new tires. Keeping the 275/55/20
I have it narrowed down to the following :
-Cooper AT3 4S
-Toyo AT3

Primarily becuase both of them meet requirements for the mountain symbol for winter month.
Falkens I can't get locally.

Need help deciding between the two. Thanks
I just installed the AT3’s on my ‘19 Laramie in that size. So far I like them a lot. They are just slightly louder than stock but not much. I hate a noisy tire and I would have taken them back if they were loud. They handle fine on road and I haven’t been in any wet or off road conditions yet. They look great on the truck, I only wish they had white letters.

cervelo15

Reaction score
Toyos a terribly hard to find. That was one of my options and everywhere i called said the same thing, Toyo plants have been sporadically shutting down, so they have a huge backlog of tires to make.

Users who are viewing this thread