5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with rust from aftermarket parts..

Reaction score
I bought bushwacker flares for my Laramie which came with stock flares. Took it to a local body shop to paint them body color. Then said, you guys might as well install them.

I get a call from the clowns and they say, the provided screws are too short for the bushwacker flares. I go there to look at what they're talking about.. turns out the rivited screws are 100% cosmetic. The flares attach to the wheel well and stick on to the fenders with tape. These idiots drilled new holes for the riveted flares into the body of my truck. I bitched then think oh well, what's done is done. I guess I can just never take off the flares. I went to hardware store and picked up longer black screws and nuts. They installed them. About 2 weeks ago. Now those black screws I brought them are starting to rust. I'd rather not take it back. Damage is done and I provided the parts. We already parted ways on a bad note.

My question: what are my options for these rusting screws? Could I just buy some black rust proof paint and carefully paint over them ? Or should I pull them and put new screws in? I know the holes they drilled into the truck were painted to prevent rust. I saw it.
Much appreciated

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191117-085510_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20191117-085510_Gallery.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 100
  • Screenshot_20191117-085515_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20191117-085515_Gallery.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 99
  • Screenshot_20191117-085504_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20191117-085504_Gallery.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 96

Lit_AF

Hardware Geek - Pro Detailer
Reaction score
Why on earth would they use black oxide steel screws. :confused:
Get some stainless (paint them) or anodized screws.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
OP I’ll make you feel better with this one. Picked up a CORSA catback exhaust for my 4th gen Ram. Dropped it and that Ram at the exhaust shop. Two hours later exhaust place contacts me to say hey this exhaust you brought to us doesn’t fit. We cut it up and are pretty sure it will work, just need you to see it first. I rush over there to see what the F happened. They take me to the work area to show me what they pieced together. I’m like how can it not even fit as it was made for these trucks. I then look over in the next bay that had a F-150 and lo and behold there was MY CORSA exhaust.
Those people had taken the exhaust from the F-150 and thought it was for my Ram. Never even looked at the side of the box that specified exactly what vehicle it was for. Needless to say my truck and my CORSA rolled out of there to a new shop....

GreatWhite

Reaction score
Oh man oh man oh man...... I'd be hot! I guess the guys at the body shop didnt care to read the very simple instructions that were provided in the box! But to answer your question, ditto on the stainless screws... you can also paint them if youd like.

Amazing93

Reaction score
I'd be more concerned with the body of my truck rusting out now that they drilled holes in it.

Fmrchvy

Reaction score
I'd be more concerned with the body of my truck rusting out now that they drilled holes in it.
Exactly, now your truck is going to definitely have issues with rust. Flares are already known to contribute to rust development, but now that will be even worse due to the holes in your fenders. I’d say that they have done substantial damage to your truck.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Were these a bunch of young teenagers who haven’t worked on vehicles for a long time? What in the hell made them think drilling holes into the body of a truck without the owners go ahead was ok. I don’t know if I could leave that shop without them fully agreeing to replace the panels.

Users who are viewing this thread