5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hellwig sway bar and towing

klammer

Reaction score
I have a 2022 Laramie Sport. I'm considering a Hellwig sway bar in the rear for a few reasons (body roll and slight trailer sway).
For input for those those that have a Hellwig sway bar to see if it makes any difference while towing. I understand what the purpose of the sway bar is but some of the threads I have read here it's mentioned that the Hellwig helped out while towing.

I tow a 7.5x14, tandem axle, V nose, aluminum trailer with 1 or 2 Harley's inside at times. Trailer has tongue weight set (no WDH or sway device on the trailer). Only feel a small bit of sway at times. I personally think it's due to the large 5' V on this trailer catching wind. I had a 7x12, Aluminum tandem, with shallower V nose prior to this new trailer and that was rock solid going down the road. I towed the new 7.5x14 home with my prior 2017 Ram Sport and immediately noticed a difference with that truck also.

Thanks,
klammer

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2022 Laramie Sport. I'm considering a Hellwig sway bar in the rear for a few reasons (body roll and slight trailer sway).
For input for those those that have a Hellwig sway bar to see if it makes any difference while towing. I understand what the purpose of the sway bar is but some of the threads I have read here it's mentioned that the Hellwig helped out while towing.

I see the term "sway" misused a lot on forums, where what they are actually talking about is "yaw". I usually just keep it zipped, but there seems to be a hint that you might actually know the difference, so IMO a heavy duty sway bar will probably reduce roll or lean, but have little or no effect on yaw.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I see the term "sway" misused a lot on forums, where what they are actually talking about is "yaw". I usually just keep it zipped, but there seems to be a hint that you might actually know the difference, so IMO a heavy duty sway bar will probably reduce roll or lean, but have little or no effect on yaw.
Body roll was the main reason that I got mine, but I think it also helps sway/yaw to some extent because of the air suspension. Probably not a huge difference, but some. There will always be a certain amount just because a bumper pull puts the pivot point well behind the axle, and tire type, sidewall height, and air pressure play a huge part.

klammer

Reaction score
It could actually be some slight yaw induced by some wind. The large, deep V is nice for some storage but really messes a bit with the aerodynamics imo.

klammer

Reaction score
Body roll was the main reason that I got mine, but I think it also helps sway/yaw to some extent because of the air suspension. Probably not a huge difference, but some. There will always be a certain amount just because a bumper pull puts the pivot point well behind the axle, and tire type, sidewall height, and air pressure play a huge part.
Agree on the tires. The oem Goodyears on my 2017 were horrible. I replaced them with BF Goodrich KO2's and made a world of difference. I canned the oem tires on the 2022 and replaced with the 275/60-20 KO2's. I do play with the pressure on the truck when towing.

Mr.Grid

Reaction score
I purchased the Hellwig when I got my truck new prior to towing because it was cheap and everyone raved about it. My 2011 Ram didn’t have Hellwig and did fine towing the same 7k# 24’ x 8.5’. This 2022 tows exact same and I’m using the 20” Dueler tires that came on the truck inflated to 42# now.

If your trailer is presently level when attached to the truck, try lowering the front of the trailer so that it’s 1” lower in front than rear of trailer. Maybe shift some weight slightly forward also. Initial tongue is just a starting point for towing. Moving weight and lowering front could very possibly help. Easy to try. My trailers have always towed best with front slightly lower, same as the one I listed.

runamuck

Reaction score
I swapped the sway bar on my laramie for the Helwig and I have it on the middle setting. It helped take some of the shimmy out of the rear end when towing our 28' 6000# travel trailer. I also run a few more # air in the tires and I have airbags on the rear which I put 25# when towing.

pkman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I purchased the Hellwig when I got my truck new prior to towing because it was cheap and everyone raved about it. My 2011 Ram didn’t have Hellwig and did fine towing the same 7k# 24’ x 8.5’. This 2022 tows exact same and I’m using the 20” Dueler tires that came on the truck inflated to 42# now.

If your trailer is presently level when attached to the truck, try lowering the front of the trailer so that it’s 1” lower in front than rear of trailer. Maybe shift some weight slightly forward also. Initial tongue is just a starting point for towing. Moving weight and lowering front could very possibly help. Easy to try. My trailers have always towed best with front slightly lower, same as the one I listed.
I would caution lowering the front of the trailer if the axles are individual rubber torsion suspended. Lowering the front will put more weight on the front trailer axle and effectively shorten the wheelbase. If you have leaf springs with tandem axle suspension it should have an equalizer and the weight pivot point should not change.

klammer

Reaction score
I would caution lowering the front of the trailer if the axles are individual rubber torsion suspended. Lowering the front will put more weight on the front trailer axle and effectively shorten the wheelbase. If you have leaf springs with tandem axle suspension it should have an equalizer and the weight pivot point should not change.
It is a torsion axle and I run it level.

klammer

Reaction score
Got the Hellwig today from American Trucks. Install took about 40 minutes. Easy deal to mount. Actually used the stock bolts to bolt to the frame (same size and length) as I didn't have access to my hex sockets to use the supplied socket head bolts. Thanks for the info.

Mr.Grid

Reaction score
The OP is asking about Hellwig because his first post says “small bit of sway at times” with new larger V nose 7.5x14 when compared to the previous 7x12 that was rock solid. Now that he has Hellwig installed, he’ll probably find it won’t reduce this sway as I initially posted.

Dropping the trailer front slightly (up to 1” front to rear) from level can improve the trailer tow whether torsion or leaf. When measured at the axle carriage the height will be almost exactly the same no matter the trailer length. Moving weight can also improve as well.

Raising the height of the front of the trailer even slightly (1/2" or less) will have poor towing results. If the difference in where the truck ball height is 1/2” to high, or 3/4” too low from level, use the lower setting. It will make for the best tow handling. Most will choose the higher ball setting and then try and fix their tow problem with other settings or add ons.

Towing trailer level and having 10-15% tongue weight is just a starting guide line. Most times multiple small adjustments are needed to get the best tow results.

My Ram has the 33 gal fuel tank. When towing 7k# and down to 3 - 5 gallons prior to making my fuel stop, I can feel the difference in the tow slightly than from having the tank full. I’m using a WDH, 10.6% tongue weight, nothing else and traveling 65- 67 mph.

VegasRob55

Reaction score
Got the Hellwig today from American Trucks. Install took about 40 minutes. Easy deal to mount. Actually used the stock bolts to bolt to the frame (same size and length) as I didn't have access to my hex sockets to use the supplied socket head bolts. Thanks for the info.
Has it made a big difference in daily driving?

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/