5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello, and what about buying out-of-town?

Reaction score
I'm ready to roll on `19, but am really conflicted about where to purchase my new RAM. My local dealers only have a handful of 19s, but if I drive a couple hours the dealers have hundreds of them - and the discounts off MSRP are $6K+.

If I purchase out of town and have a warranty issue what is my local dealer going to say when I try get service on clunk, leak, and shimmy?

Does anyone here know California Lemon Law? Do I need to take my lemon back to the dealer where I bought it?

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here is what my friend, who is a service department manager, said when I was looking...

In practice, the service departments and sales departments function independently. It’s not likely that the salesman goes to service and says, “this is my customer, take good care of him.” Even if he did, it wouldn’t make a difference. You will be fine getting service and warranty work done at any dealer.

Lonestar21

Reaction score
You can purchase anywhere and take your truck for service anywhere for warranty, your local dealer-service department can’t deny a warranty or service due to you not buying it there.

As far as a lemon your already hoping for the worse don’t base your purchase off that, thats a whole different process. Don’t even think about that it’s just a handful of trucks that qualify to being a ‘lemon’.
Buy your truck first and then enjoy it the 2019’s are really nice and fun to drive.

Last edited:

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Unless the laws of CA have changed dramatically, the process involves arbitration and a lot of effort. I had a VW Passat with bad tranny, bad engine, faulty ABS, another bad tranny, sunroof flew off, mirror fell off (denting door). At 6000 miles, the arbitrator simply got the dealer to repair or replace everything that I felt was not right and throw in a set of new tires since they were wearing poorly due to the ABS issue. The car did get repaired at we drove it 38,000 more miles before trading it in.

67 RT

Reaction score
I bought out of town simply for price. My locals wanted MSRP or MSRP minus 3k, plus they low balled me on my trade. This was after purchasing a Grand Cherokee the prior year for my wife from one of them (who would not budge off sticker). I know the local dealer will service anything, so I went with the 10K off and the 2k extra on my trade. Sorry local folks.....

RT70808

Reaction score
Having bought several fca vehicles here’s what a previous dealer told me;
There’s a 50 mile radius for the local market and they won’t trade. If you find the one you want outside that and the dealer is willing they will trade with an out of market dealer. I bought a 2012 Charger this way, I wanted the “Blacktop Edition” and it was 4 hours away outside Houston. A couple of days later my Charger arrived on a flatbed.

Reaction score
Wow! Thanks for all the great info. Can I expect the same discount off msrp when I order a truck versus buying off the lot?

I want a Laramie with an anti-spin diff, and that's turning out to be hard to find.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm ready to roll on `19, but am really conflicted about where to purchase my new RAM. My local dealers only have a handful of 19s, but if I drive a couple hours the dealers have hundreds of them - and the discounts off MSRP are $6K+.

If I purchase out of town and have a warranty issue what is my local dealer going to say when I try get service on clunk, leak, and shimmy?

Does anyone here know California Lemon Law? Do I need to take my lemon back to the dealer where I bought it?
Wisconsin lemon law you can take it to any certified Ram dealer. If you purchase a ram any ram dealer will work on it

syddog 2000

Reaction score
Wow! Thanks for all the great info. Can I expect the same discount off msrp when I order a truck versus buying off the lot?

I want a Laramie with an anti-spin diff, and that's turning out to be hard to find.

If that is all you are looking for it should be esay to find. Most of these truck come with limited slip. As to ordering, I ordered mine and negotiated the discount from MSRP at the time I placed my order. Any incentives from the manufacture that were in force at delivery were applied.

Ramlax

Reaction score
Having bought several fca vehicles here’s what a previous dealer told me;
There’s a 50 mile radius for the local market and they won’t trade. If you find the one you want outside that and the dealer is willing they will trade with an out of market dealer. I bought a 2012 Charger this way, I wanted the “Blacktop Edition” and it was 4 hours away outside Houston. A couple of days later my Charger arrived on a flatbed.
i dont think the 50 mile radius trade market exist. i found the truck i wanted but they wouldn't come tot he price i wanted. i went to another dealer 12 miles away and they made the deal with me and got the truck from them the next day.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome.

There is a lot of good info here from learning what the build in price is missing, locating or ordering your truck, how to get a great deal, what issues to watch out for, modifications, dealership issues and the good ones.

Remember that this forum does put a spotlight on the problems. There are a few threads that state the great ownership experiences too.

Thanks for joining us

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online