5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Height of receiver hitch

Ram408

Reaction score
I currently have a 2016 Ram 1500 Sport 4x4 Crew but plan to order a 2019 (or 2020) when my current lease is up. My father just bought a boat and of course he needs me to tow it. I'm looking at different adjustable hitch setups. The one that has caught my attention is the Weigh Safe product. It comes in 4", 6", and 8" drops. When I measure from the ground to the middle of my receiver hitch I get 19.25" and my truck is stock. Could someone with a limited 4x4 do that same measurement when the air suspension is in normal mode? I think a 4" drop will pretty much cover me for just about all trailers, but just want to make sure that I don't need more. Thank you!

WeighSafe.png

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I currently have a 2016 Ram 1500 Sport 4x4 Crew but plan to order a 2019 (or 2020) when my current lease is up. My father just bought a boat and of course he needs me to tow it. I'm looking at different adjustable hitch setups. The one that has caught my attention is the Weigh Safe product. It comes in 4", 6", and 8" drops. When I measure from the ground to the middle of my receiver hitch I get 19.25" and my truck is stock. Could someone with a limited 4x4 do that same measurement when the air suspension is in normal mode? I think a 4" drop will pretty much cover me for just about all trailers, but just want to make sure that I don't need more. Thank you!

View attachment 5046

I haven't measured it but I have that exact receiver..6 inch model.

RT70808

Reaction score
My boat trailer had a tag with it stating 16” from ground clearance for optimal towing, gotta love Ranger. Anyways, I bought a drop hitch for my grand Cherokee that gave me the recommended height and when I checked it in my Ram I took these photos. 3.5” drop

AEAB08DB-5CE8-4E86-AF69-2B7CBA1C83E2.jpeg 04A523A7-D0F3-4A6F-986F-3A1954BDBC18.jpeg

Ram408

Reaction score
My boat trailer had a tag with it stating 16” from ground clearance for optimal towing, gotta love Ranger. Anyways, I bought a drop hitch for my grand Cherokee that gave me the recommended height and when I checked it in my Ram I took these photos. 3.5” drop

View attachment 5049 View attachment 5050
RT70808, it looks like the height from ground to the top of the inside of receiver is about 21". But since you have the off road group, I think your truck is 1" higher than normal right? I'm glad you mentioned your trailer requirement of 16". I didn't think trailers were that low. The father's boat trailer recommends a centerline of between 18"-21". So maybe I should go with the 6" adjustable drop so I will have no problem in the future. I know you said 3.5" drop, but I think what you have is technically a 5"drop. It probably says it on the sticker if it's still legible. Looking at your measurements, it would be 21"-16"= 5". Thank you for your help.

Ram408

Reaction score
I haven't measured it but I have that exact receiver..6 inch model.
Snowman, how do you like the Weigh Safe hitch? And slightly off topic, but could you tell me what your yellow load capacity sticker says for payload on your truck? I think I'm going to order exactly what you have, but maybe minus the 22's. Thank you!

RT70808

Reaction score
RT70808, it looks like the height from ground to the top of the inside of receiver is about 21". But since you have the off road group, I think your truck is 1" higher than normal right? I'm glad you mentioned your trailer requirement of 16". I didn't think trailers were that low. The father's boat trailer recommends a centerline of between 18"-21". So maybe I should go with the 6" adjustable drop so I will have no problem in the future. I know you said 3.5" drop, but I think what you have is technically a 5"drop. It probably says it on the sticker if it's still legible. Looking at your measurements, it would be 21"-16"= 5". Thank you for your help.
Now that you say that you’re right, i think it was a 5 or 5.5. Don’t know why I had 3.5 in my head. My boat is a ranger aluminum RT178 single axel. But yes I do have the off-road group.

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Snowman, how do you like the Weigh Safe hitch? And slightly off topic, but could you tell me what your yellow load capacity sticker says for payload on your truck? I think I'm going to order exactly what you have, but maybe minus the 22's. Thank you!

I've only towed once with it so far and I had no issues. I ordered the keyed alike receiver pin , as well as a 1-7/8 ball for it also

My cargo capacity is 1389lbs

Ram408

Reaction score
I've only towed once with it so far and I had no issues. I ordered the keyed alike receiver pin , as well as a 1-7/8 ball for it also

My cargo capacity is 1389lbs
Snowman, if you get a chance, could you measure from the ground to the inside top of your receiver hitch? I'm curious to see what it will be for a 4x4 limited (without off road package) in the normal air ride position. Thank you in advance!

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Snowman, if you get a chance, could you measure from the ground to the inside top of your receiver hitch? I'm curious to see what it will be for a 4x4 limited (without off road package) in the normal air ride position. Thank you in advance!

Here are some quick rough measurements for you..not perfect but give you an idea...suspension in normal

Bottom of hitch - 16 7/8 inch
Center of hitch - 18 1/2 inch
Top of hitch - 20 1/8 inch

Karls-a-Rebel

Reaction score
You should measure the height of your trailer tongue when it is level on level ground and add 2 inches to the height of that to determine the correct height for your ball, then buy a receiver and ball to match that....

All trailers are different, for example my setup has me using a rise for a correct ball height.

Users who are viewing this thread