5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heat question

1lowcab

Reaction score
I've never really been satisfied with the heat in this truck. I bought it used with 30k miles on it, 43k miles on it now.
This is my first winter with it and the heater puts out not great heat...thank god for heated seats.

I have the heat on hi, not auto, and the fan setting on 6 for there to be any heat. I have it set like this on my whole trip to work, all 16 miles and never get hot in the cab, just warm.

When I check the display its showing my coolant anywhere from 179 to 183 at 60 mph with an outside temp of 33.
If I really get on it the coolant will climb to 190ish, when this happens the heat really rolls out in the cab but the coolant temps drops right back to the 180ish mark as soon as I let off.

What are you guys showing for coolant temps in your 3.6 and how is your heat in cab?
Also, whats the stock thermostat temp, 195?

Bigbags85

Reaction score
If I remember when I get out of work I will check those levels. I do not have any issues with my heat as of yet. I set it to 68F and leave it and I am usually unzipping my coat.

1lowcab

Reaction score
Awesome, please do!

I always have my coat zipped up and I wear gloves while I'm driving, something has to be wrong with my thermostat.

Bigbags85

Reaction score
So otw home last night I checked my stats and my coolant temp was at 204F (it may be different because I have the V8). I have about a 30min drive from work and speed limits go from pretty much 55 to 65MPH. It was warmer last night than it had been recently at 17F.

1lowcab

Reaction score
Thanks!

So I called the service dept today and asked what the temp should be. They said its a 195 thermostat in them and should be maintaining that or above.
So I take it in next week to have it looked at and probably the thermostat replaced.

It will be awesome to have hot heat again!!!!!!!!

AV8OR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Try old school until you can get it checked, crank the temp up to max high and then very the fan speed to keep you comfortable.

I keep one of these in the driver’s side vent stuffed in a thumb size piece of foam so I can monitor the output of the HVAC system.

1645055417340.jpeg

Last edited:

1lowcab

Reaction score
So I just went ahead and replaced the thermostat myself, easy peasy....can't believe they were going to charge me almost $400 to do it.

And now I have HEAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bigbags85

Reaction score
So I just went ahead and replaced the thermostat myself, easy peasy....can't believe they were going to charge me almost $400 to do it.

And now I have HEAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nice! Good that it's easy, I have had to change the thermostat on my 99 civic and it's pretty easy to get to. Takes like 10mins maybe to change.

1lowcab

Reaction score
The hardest part of this one was taking the damn sensor connector off, lol!

1lowcab

Reaction score
And my garage is still all iced up, can't get in it.
So I did it caveman style in the driveway.

Bigbags85

Reaction score
And my garage is still all iced up, can't get in it.
So I did it caveman style in the driveway.
Ouch, hopefully it wasn't too cold out! I've been holding off on installing anything. I am waiting for at least a 30F day on a weekend haha.

1lowcab

Reaction score
It was 24 out with a feels like temp of 19, and the sun was setting fast.

Users who are viewing this thread