5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Headrest too far forward

Liay

Reaction score
Is there any way to tip the headrest a bit backwards or another that can be purchased? They are too far forward and I feel sick after sitting with them for too long.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree! So does my wife. This is my second 5th gen Ram & I wish you could tilt the headrest back more than it already goes. I’m not sure where to turn for the same solution you seek as of yet though. Hopefully we can find answers by this thread.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Is there any way to tip the headrest a bit backwards or another that can be purchased? They are too far forward and I feel sick after sitting with them for too long.
Push them forward more and they will spring back. Or maybe that's the wife's Traverse

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Push them forward more and they will spring back. Or maybe that's the wife's Traverse

You’re right, the Ram headrest will spring back when pulled forward also, just doesn’t reset as far back as we’d like. At least that’s what I’m understanding from the OP’s post. I wish I could still tilt mine more rearward that it allows after resetting. Hopefully there’s a hack for it. I’ve even thought about removing them but would rather not go that far into the rabbit hole if I can avoid.

Watts

Reaction score
I have a long torso, so mine were too low at the highest setting - I added another slot to the mounting posts to move it even higher (angle grinder and a file). Interested to see if they can move back further as well - I’d bet there is some way to open the cover and modify the mounting.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have found that too many people today have the seat back too upright, causing the headrest to be uncomfortable. I can't believe the number of people I see on the roads that are sitting too close to the wheel or they have the seat back straight up, or both.

I took a road course years ago and they discussed the proper seat placement. You should have your knees slightly bent, with the back of your legs fully in contact with the bottom seat cushion. The back of the seat should be set in a way that both shoulders are touching the seat back, the head rest is about an inch behind that, and when reaching for the steering wheel, the bend of your wrist should be on the wheel with arms fully extended (both shoulders still flat on the seat back). This allows the arms to be slightly bent when you grab the steering wheel and puts you far enough away from an airbag being deployed. This is the proper driving position.

Now, if that still doesn't work, remove the headrest, take it down to it's frame, place on the ground or in a vice and use a hammer or mallet to remove some of the bend in the posts. I had to do this to the back seat head rests as the seat doesn't recline, like the front, and back seat passengers commented on the headrest leaning forward. I adjust all posts equally and the back seats are now comfortable for my passengers.

1660764506059.png 1660764539847.png

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yup. I recline the seat back a bit until the headrest is in the sweet spot. I find it to be perfect for me as is.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For myself, I try to lean back as far as possible for my degenerative discs/arthritis/bulge. But I’m short & the wheel doesn’t telescope out as far as I’d like like it did on my Silverado. I find a happy medium, but even tilted back the headrest pushes my head/neck more forward that it should be. Might have to try the modification method mentioned.

Sanders

Reaction score
On my 4th gen the headrests bothered me so I swapped the front ones with the back seat. The 5th gen doesn’t bother me.

Users who are viewing this thread