5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Headliner Rattle

sactruck

Reaction score
In the last week my truck developed an annoying rattle/squeak when driving the truck. I found that it was coming from the headliner (If you push on the headliner you can duplicate the noise). I thought it might be related to the cold outside temperatures (it has been below zero lately). I took it to the dealer and the service writer immediately said that it was not normal. They researched it on the FCA website and found that it is a known problem caused by the headliner clips. Ram has an updated coated clip that was made to correct the problem. They ordered them and will install them next week which requires dropping the headliner.

Doxmia

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I've noticed it as well. Do you happen to have a recall number or something I can provide my dealer?

Riley01

Reaction score
I have the same issue, dealer said headliner was not installed properly and needs replaced. They ordered one but factory sent wrong one. I was then told they are backordered until July. Dealer had truck for two weeks. Also, they have to remove windshield to replace the headliner.

sactruck

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I've noticed it as well. Do you happen to have a recall number or something I can provide my dealer?

I don't know if it has a recall number, but the service writer looked it up on a factory site they had access too and immediately found reference to the problem. The coated clips are available for next day delivery. They had to order a package of 10 and they thought it only takes 2 clips for the repair. The truck is going in on Wednesday for the repair and I will have more information then.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the clip info. You can pull down on the headliner through the sunroof opening and separate it from the cab of the truck (velcro). Once separated, you can slide out the old clips with your fingers. I do not see a need to remove the headliner just to replace the clips, especially if it requires removing windshield. Clip replacement is a 5 min or less job, with headliner in place

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't know if it has a recall number, but the service writer looked it up on a factory site they had access too and immediately found reference to the problem. The coated clips are available for next day delivery. They had to order a package of 10 and they thought it only takes 2 clips for the repair. The truck is going in on Wednesday for the repair and I will have more information then.

If you can post the part number or service description from the invoice that would be very helpful and I'm glad they looked up the issue! I'm having the same issue with the area above the center lights (clicking/ticking/rattle type sound). I'd like to go to the dealer well armed with info.

*edit - @sactruck was that at the EG automall by chance? just taking a clue from your user name - figure i'll go to the same service advisor to make life easy haha. Thanks!

sactruck

Reaction score
I brought the truck in to have the headliner rattle/squeak fixed today. They estimated the repair would take 1.5 hours to repair. It actually took 3.5 hours to take the headliner out to make the repair. The rattle/squeak is fixed. The repair order states "Customer states headliner squeaks over bumps and/or when pushed on. See star case S1823000051, clips here. Verified concern, found star case related to concern. Dropped headliner and replaced clips as per star case, tested for squeaks again, none found. Returned to customer". The part number for the updated star clips is 6512498-AA

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looked up that part number. If they are using this, they've gone completely away from the velcro attachments.

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I get a faint ticking noise from the headliner when diving at highway speed. Worse if it's windy. Scratching my head on this one...I tried using some foam to stuff into the area it was making nose, but no dice.

zman9119

Reaction score
Noticed this now in the sub-zero temps the last few days right above the drivers head. You can press on it to stop it.

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Noticed this now in the sub-zero temps the last few days right above the drivers head. You can press on it to stop it.

Yep! Same thing for me. I ended up stuffing some dense closed cell foam in from the door side. Seems to have stopped it for now.

Last edited:

The_Chemist

Reaction score
Here is a picture of the current Velcro clips. My headliner ticks and clicks as well. As you can see, my trucks clips don't even line up correctly. When i looked up part number 5612498-AA, it was called a nut. Brass sort of looking thing. Screenshot_20181113-202317_Photos.jpg

5thGenRubyRed

Reaction score
My headliner was squeaking in the front by the sunroof controls. Brought it in, service said there was a "Bulletin to replace the rear clips" they had the truck for 4 days since the clips had to be ordered. After taking it home, I still had the squeak. Brought the truck back the next week, another 4 days and they replaced the front clips, "due to damage when the truck was built" entire headliner was dropped. Problem is now fixed.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
My headliner was squeaking in the front by the sunroof controls. Brought it in, service said there was a "Bulletin to replace the rear clips" they had the truck for 4 days since the clips had to be ordered. After taking it home, I still had the squeak. Brought the truck back the next week, another 4 days and they replaced the front clips, "due to damage when the truck was built" entire headliner was dropped. Problem is now fixed.
Wow. Did the dealer cause any damage when repairing the headliner clips? Any greasy fingerprints anywhere, tears marks etc.? My worst fear is that the dealer will ruin more stuff when trying to fix one problem... I'm afraid to take my truck in for the headliner issues and the loose rolling bolt sound in my dash...

sactruck

Reaction score
Wow. Did the dealer cause any damage when repairing the headliner clips? Any greasy fingerprints anywhere, tears marks etc.? My worst fear is that the dealer will ruin more stuff when trying to fix one problem... I'm afraid to take my truck in for the headliner issues and the loose rolling bolt sound in my dash...

The tech took his time (3.5 hours) and did not damage anything when repairing my truck. The truck is fixed and I am happy.

5thGenRubyRed

Reaction score
No issues, they told me they even replaced the consol with the sunroof controls. Bran new. Hard to tell since the truck was barely 2 months old when I brought it in. So I'll take there word on it.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I too had a squeak coming from the center overhead console area when I first purchased my truck a year ago. I popped my head through the sunroof opening to get a good look, wiggled the console and saw where some dry rubber materials associated with the headliner itself was rubbing on the metal roof of the cab creating the squeak. I also noted that the headliner backing is hard black plastic. Because of this, I decided to spray a thin film of WD-40 onto the edge of the dry rubber. I then wiped out the excess from the top of the headliner. I was not worried about bleed through because of how the headliner is made. It’s been a year now, and I’ve never heard the squeak again. Hope this helps.

NewRam92

Reaction score
Just coming across this thread now. My truck has developed a creaking/squeaking/ticking noise in the headliner around the speakers. If you press on/around the speakers it duplicates the noise. I'm hoping the clips mentioned in the star case above helps to resolve the issue. Curious if anyone else has had this issue. I had my rear window replaced a few weeks ago and it's started ever since. Not sure if they removed the headliner to replace the rear window or not (maybe to disconnect, reconnect defrost wiring?). Or maybe it's just a coincidental timing.

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm getting this noise, and I can control it with pressure on the passenger side of the overhead sunroof control.....
for now, a folded fuel receipt jammed between that plastic and the headliner eliminates 99% of that annoyance... hoping I can do a better fix to either avoid the dealer having to deal with this, or to hold me over until dealers have more time/parts for this stuff

Users who are viewing this thread