5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Headlights, 4WD, active air dam, oh my!

cl302

Reaction score
Hi All!
I have about 9000 miles on my 2019 Laramie and I would say I put my trucks through "worst case scenario" type work on a regular basis. Overall the 2019 is an excellent truck... but I do have a couple issues/questions:

1) Does anyone know how to lower the active air dam manually? I have a bunch of mud caked on mine and think cleaning will go better if I can fully lower that thing through an engineering menu or something.

2) I've noticed on washboard and gravel roads that my LED headlights (I think low beam) shake CONSTANTLY with the vibrations in the road. Does anyone else notice this? It drives me crazy as most of my driving is high speed washboard/rough road. Love the LEDs on the highway, however.

3) Another aspect of my truck is that it sits idling a lot. At times, when I come back to the idling truck after an hour or so, the 4WD lights, brake light, and traction control light will all be flashing on and off. The only way I can get rid of all this dash flashing is turning the vehicle on and off again. Any similar experiences with this?

Thanks!

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Don't know about the first two but is there a reason for idling for so long. Have you thought of maybe getting a timer like the police vehicles have. I know ours will start/stop it several times when we have different parameters set into the device.

Whynot

Reaction score
For #2 are the LED headlights shaking independently of the rest of the car (that is, worse than), or are they shaking because, you know, the rest of the car is also shaking? You are not going to get perfectly smooth and level headlights when your car is driving over rough surfaces. The frotn of the car is vibrating and bobbing up and down even if it is not incredibly noticeable in the cabin. Bulbs like LEDs usually have sharper/more noticeable cutoffs so the vibrations can be more apparent than what you may be use too (don't know if your previous vehicle had LEDs, HIDs, or just plain old crappy halogens).

cl302

Reaction score
@2019REBEL - I have thought about the timers and I can see their benefits. However, this is my 9th truck that I have used for my line of work and never really had issues. Will look into your suggestion further.

@Whynot I would say they shake marginally worse than the overall vehicle. My two previous Rams (one with quad headlamps, the other with projectors) never saw that kind of movement. Also had an F150 with the LED headlamps and it didn't shake like these ones, either.

Thanks both!

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
I idle a LOT too. Havent had that flashing happen yet, after 1300 miles.

Id say, 4 to 1, idle to drive time per hour, easy, maybe more.

And I want the whole lower air dam removed, period.

Cmiller18y

Reaction score
I idle a LOT too. Havent had that flashing happen yet, after 1300 miles.

Id say, 4 to 1, idle to drive time per hour, easy, maybe more.

And I want the whole lower air dam removed, period.
Did you ever remove your lower air dam? I want to remove mine.

Zeeya

Reaction score
Hi All!
I have about 9000 miles on my 2019 Laramie and I would say I put my trucks through "worst case scenario" type work on a regular basis. Overall the 2019 is an excellent truck... but I do have a couple issues/questions:

1) Does anyone know how to lower the active air dam manually? I have a bunch of mud caked on mine and think cleaning will go better if I can fully lower that thing through an engineering menu or something.

2) I've noticed on washboard and gravel roads that my LED headlights (I think low beam) shake CONSTANTLY with the vibrations in the road. Does anyone else notice this? It drives me crazy as most of my driving is high speed washboard/rough road. Love the LEDs on the highway, however.

3) Another aspect of my truck is that it sits idling a lot. At times, when I come back to the idling truck after an hour or so, the 4WD lights, brake light, and traction control light will all be flashing on and off. The only way I can get rid of all this dash flashing is turning the vehicle on and off again. Any similar experiences with this?

Thanks!
Sounds like your in W Texas with me. Same scenario. Haven’t noticed those problems, but I know I have to leave the hood up for a while to get the water to drain from the louvers on the Rebel hood. It’s 8 weeks old and at 8700 miles. A few thousand of those have been on bad lease roads

Users who are viewing this thread