5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Headers

Mad Mike

Reaction score
Just finished successfully installing long tube headers (catted to stock exhaust) on my 19 5th Gen 1500 5.7.

It was first for me. I should have taken pics, etc, but it was a handful as is. Very happy. Sound and performance.

If you want to go this route and have questions, please feel free to reach out. There are a handful of “lessons learned I can save you time and frustration with.”

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just finished successfully installing long tube headers (catted to stock exhaust) on my 19 5th Gen 1500 5.7.

It was first for me. I should have taken pics, etc, but it was a handful as is. Very happy. Sound and performance.

If you want to go this route and have questions, please feel free to reach out. There are a handful of “lessons learned I can save you time and frustration with.”
Even some “after installation” pics would be sweet. You have to be one of the first 2019 owners to do this.

RamRebel19

Reaction score
Which manufacturer and where did you get them from? Very interested to see some pics and hear about the install. They were a bit of a hassle on my 4th gen so I don't know if I want to bother with them on my 5th gen.

Rob3989

Reaction score
What kind of gains did you notice ? Have part #s ?

SColang22

Reaction score
What kind of gains did you notice ? Have part #s ?
i did them on my 17 Ram so same powertrain and gained about 15HP and 20TQ. Idk what brand OP used but ARH and Kooks say their LTs for the 18 will fit the 19

Cmiller18y

Reaction score
Interested in the gains as well. Also, an after pic? What was your takeaway on tips after the install?

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i did them on my 17 Ram so same powertrain and gained about 15HP and 20TQ. Idk what brand OP used but ARH and Kooks say their LTs for the 18 will fit the 19
I’m sure they will till you get to the resonator or cat back connection. Be some cut and pasting need to be done.

SColang22

Reaction score
I’m sure they will till you get to the resonator or cat back connection. Be some cut and pasting need to be done.
Yea they recommend an after market exhaust. If I remember right the y pipe connected to my borla exhaust. I don’t think I needed anything custom.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Right no big issues . Probably a slip fit on LTs. So just have to cut the exhaust where it needs to go on.

SColang22

Reaction score
Right no big issues . Probably a slip fit on LTs. So just have to cut the exhaust where it needs to go on.
Yea that’s what I mean. I didn’t have to cut anything. It was a bolt on. I had kooks but I think ARH is the same

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^^^ really bolt on? Connections for 5th gens are different then 4th gen, no?

Mad Mike

Reaction score
Alright. With a little more time tonight, here’s more detail.

PLEASE NOTE. I make mention of other performance mods in this post, HOWEVER, this post is about header install. If you have questions or comments about Vararam or Pulsar, please send me a message or a new/ seperate post. I think we would all agree that when researching the hijack posts make it exceedingly difficult.

I bought the OBX catted from eBay. If folks have opinions about OBX, please save them. Thank you.

I also have the Vararam Air Grabber and the Pulsar PCM piggy back. By themselves a badass combo. Trust me. Lots of folks seem to want to doubt the Pulsar, but if I was going to do one performance mod, that would be it. Period. That was my first mod so I am confident in my statement.

As for the headers, it’s been 24 hours, but after driving 50 miles It’s better than it was yesterday and it was pretty darn good yesterday. I have had zero engine check lights/ codes. No spacers.

The sound is GREAT. Not loud if that is what you’re looking for, but I would describe it as aggressive. It’s more engine type sound than loud exhaust. It sounds hot and aggressive.

As for level of effort of installation, It’s big. Not overly difficult (relative I know), but tedious and time consuming. Unless you have experienced help, its stressful to say the very least. Having done it now, its not that stressful, but going through it the first time was.

Not sure if necessary, but we removed the engine mount bolt on one side at a time and pivoted the engine one side at a time. To jack the engine we resorted to the pulley as a jack point. Scared me, but it was fine.

The 02 sensors. The extensions you see on line will not fit the 2019. 2019 are flat 4 like a GM, but the connectors are different. We resorted to measuring each of the 4 and splicing. Not ideal, but we discovered the lack of proper extensions after the tear down.

Pay close attention to what sensor goes where before you disconnect. The are two on each side. Don’t touch the sensor tips. (Pros know this. Written fior us newbies).

O2 sensor connectors. Unique. Hard to describe, but to disconnect them you need to stick a screw driver down the top of the femal side toward the male side after disengaging the red”stop.” In other words, take your thumb nail, pull the red thing down, then stick the screwdriver in the opening on the male side (on the same vertical side as the red part, opposite end).

Dip stick. There is a bracket down by the block that holds it in place in addition to the long bracket up high on the dipstick shaft by the manifold. You can’t just pull it out like you might normallly without creating two small holes in the dipstick shaft. Don’t ask me how I know this.

The driver side header is the easiest by far. No need to disconnect the steering or shift cable. I would try installing without polling out the dipstick. If not possible, pull out the header and figure out how to remove the dipstick bracket. It looked like it’s behind the motor mount...not easy.

Manifold bolts. The stock bolts are too long for headers. Could not find them in local auto parts stores. However, based on research, 8mm 1.25 35mm 8 grade are fine. Use gold anti seize on bolts and O2 sensors.

As far as exhaust, we had to cut the pipe. However, since the cut would be in the middle of the stock resonator, we simply reversed the pipe and cut the other end. Confirmed with local muffler shop resonator is bi-directional.

I’m sure there is more. The process was stressful but fun. It took us two + days. If we did it again it would take us a day or so...just like anything you do the first time...except, well, you know.

In the end I am VERY HAPPY. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Attachments

• B1E1F003-948E-4A33-85B5-49447D87AE6D.jpeg
    B1E1F003-948E-4A33-85B5-49447D87AE6D.jpeg
    165.4 KB · Views: 524
  • 1AAE3749-02FA-4E1B-BE9B-503946F5E39C.jpeg
    1AAE3749-02FA-4E1B-BE9B-503946F5E39C.jpeg
    197.6 KB · Views: 501
  • 3F75E1DB-53E5-49D3-B898-D5D3332262D9.jpeg
    3F75E1DB-53E5-49D3-B898-D5D3332262D9.jpeg
    175.4 KB · Views: 494
  • 78E09CE4-BE22-4BB1-B823-248010AE06B9.jpeg
    78E09CE4-BE22-4BB1-B823-248010AE06B9.jpeg
    137.1 KB · Views: 517
Last edited:

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nice write up, and thank you!! Pics please man, we are drooling here. Haha. Little more info or pics will help on understanding what you did to connect y pipe to cat back please.

SColang22

Reaction score
^^^^ really bolt on? Connections for 5th gens are different then 4th gen, no?
I’m not sure. I bought my 17 used with a borla already on it and the borla had the same hook ups on the 17 as the 19

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m not sure. I bought my 17 used with a borla already on it and the borla had the same hook ups on the 17 as the 19
Interesting, as I’m not disagreeing. Hell I’d be happy as can be if thats the case. It’s just been some time since I’ve been under a 4th gen skirt

SColang22

Reaction score
Interesting, as I’m not disagreeing. Hell I’d be happy as can be if thats the case. It’s just been some time since I’ve been under a 4th gen skirt
I sold it for the 5thgen but I wish I had pics to check it. I don’t remember having to cut anything with the Kooks so I’m hoping it’s the same for the 19 with the borla

SColang22

Reaction score
Scratch that. Talked with my buddy who did the majority of the heavy lifting helping me install and he said he did modify the mid pipe

Copperstate

Reaction score
How are you liking those headers? Curious to hear how they sound with the stock exhaust.

No drone I hope?

Users who are viewing this thread