5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Headers Question

BIGDCOBIA

Reaction score
question regarding adding long tube headers. The only change so far I have done with my exhaust is adding a magnaflow muffler. I have installed a Superchip programmer, pedal commander and a vararam. I know I will upgrade to a diablo custom tune once I have the $$ but adding the headers should not cause any negative issues correct? Should just be plug and play for now?
Thoughts? ( I know a custom tune is best thing once headers on). Last question do the headers really make that much of a difference as they say?

Thanks

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You will lose some lower end. And powertrain warranty if that matters. Other then that, plug and play

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No experience with Ram, but with my Titan it ran rich until I tuned it. Not a huge deal as long as you're not stressing it too much, but I'd suggest a tune as quickly as possible. I picked up roughly 50hp at the wheels on my Titan with headers, full 3" exhaust, and high-flow cats. I know the Ram's different, but that's been my experience.

Like @Nails said, warranty's basically gone after you go headers because it's so hard to pinpoint if they don't actually cause the problem.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^^^ not only that. As simple as Factory emissions components (cats) have been removed. That’s a free be for fca to deny.

Rplante3108

Reaction score
Long tube headers you will need a tune to run them. Shorties you do not. So, if you are going to do the tune, get that first and then the long tube. If you don't, it will throw a code after install

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Long tube headers you will need a tune to run them. Shorties you do not. So, if you are going to do the tune, get that first and then the long tube. If you don't, it will throw a code after install
I talked to someone who is running ARH longtubes with high flow cats without a tune

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just because you CAN doesn't mean you should. You're changing a big part of the engine/exhaust system.
He said you would need a tune to run them. I was just stating the fact that you don’t necessarily NEED a tune to run them... I don’t have them but I am unlocked and tuned and would get a tune specifically for them if I added them as well...

Sv250

Reaction score
Headers are a pain. Manifold bolts are hard to get out and prone to breaking in the head. Once installed exhaust leaks are common. Header bolts back out, collectors dont seal worth a dam.

All of that for roughly 20hp. If you go with a cam, tune and headers it would be worth it. 75hp or so.

As mentioned your warranty is done and may fail emissions test when getting your inspection tag.

Rplante3108

Reaction score
Sorry, to run them correctly it would be best to have a tune for them as you do not need one for the shorties ; ) my fault.

Orion10182011

Reaction score
Long tube headers often move the stock O2 sensor location farther away downstream. IDK about Mopar but many ECM's don't like that one bit.

My suggestion would be to stick with shorty headers if you don't want to open that can of worms.

Users who are viewing this thread