5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Headers and a Cam?

Copperstate

Reaction score
Looks like a few options are out (AFE and ARH) for long tubes. From the other threads, it doesn't sound like they are any different from the 4th gens for fitment.

I am drowning in reading trying to find answers. Based on the 5.7 in the 4th gen or other applications, does anyone know what to reasonably expect for gains from long tubes and new muffler / Y-pipe? The gains AFE posted sound too good to be true.

Also, found a lot of posts from older Hemi vehicles reporting good gains with the 260 Comp Cam. Anyone know anything about one of these in the newer trucks?

Thanks all!

19reb

It's the same engine as the 4th gem Rams minus the new E-torque. All of the internals are the exact same as the 4th gen. Only the truck around the engine changed from what I understand.

With LT's, I would expect to gain at least 30-50hp to the wheels with the proper tune and supporting mods. If you do a cam, you should do a custom grind. You gain much more than running a common grind that isn't application specific like the comp cams grinds.

Inertia Motorsports can do custom grinds and Jay Greene does custom grinds. Jay Greene would be my pick, though, because that's all he does. They both use Crower blanks I believe.

SColang22

Reaction score
Looks like a few options are out (AFE and ARH) for long tubes. From the other threads, it doesn't sound like they are any different from the 4th gens for fitment.

I am drowning in reading trying to find answers. Based on the 5.7 in the 4th gen or other applications, does anyone know what to reasonably expect for gains from long tubes and new muffler / Y-pipe? The gains AFE posted sound too good to be true.

Also, found a lot of posts from older Hemi vehicles reporting good gains with the 260 Comp Cam. Anyone know anything about one of these in the newer trucks?

Thanks all!
I’m not sure about cams for the 19s but in the past ram owners reported 20-30 hp tuned from LTs depending on other mods you got. I’m waiting for kooks to come out with theirs. The exhaust pipe connections are different on the 19 then the 4th gen. 4th gens used clamps where the 5th gen pipes bolt to each other. Kooks mentioned they were coming out with ones that were a direct bolt on that didn’t require cutting and welding last I talked to them.

Last edited:

Copperstate

Reaction score
I probably would get better answers on a 4th gen forum, but I digress.

Curious what those guys have been doing to get decent power, not just marketing hype.

But then I found a few threads about how easy it is to bolt a 6.4 in .... Ugh.

Diesel

Reaction score
Headers will probably provide you some good numbers without tuning. The upstream and downstream O2 sensors will adjust for the increased CFM flow pushing through the headers which will thereby ensure the correct fuel tables/AFRs are modified by the EUC. But once you cam the 5.7, tuning your ECU to reap the benefits of the aftermarket cam for the 19s will be your biggest challenge. As of right now, there is none other than perhaps locating a tuner shop that can unlock your ECU and tune your vehicle. I am not sure who to contact for this. Hope that helps

Diesel

HEMI450HP

Reaction score
Longtube headers have been giving the 4th gens 25-30hp, and custom tuning is good for another 30-35hp/tq. The custom grind 5.7 cams have been making another 40-45hp/tq on top of that. Now that tuning was finally released earlier this week, I cant wait to see a few 5th gens start pushing some power.

SColang22

Reaction score
Longtube headers have been giving the 4th gens 25-30hp, and custom tuning is good for another 30-35hp/tq. The custom grind 5.7 cams have been making another 40-45hp/tq on top of that. Now that tuning was finally released earlier this week, I cant wait to see a few 5th gens start pushing some power.
its gonna give good power but its not gonna stack like you described. Long tubes with a tune and a cam wont do up to 110hp. Probably closer to the 60 range at max. Still good numbers though

DTru

Reaction score
Headers will probably provide you some good numbers without tuning. The upstream and downstream O2 sensors will adjust for the increased CFM flow pushing through the headers which will thereby ensure the correct fuel tables/AFRs are modified by the EUC. But once you cam the 5.7, tuning your ECU to reap the benefits of the aftermarket cam for the 19s will be your biggest challenge. As of right now, there is none other than perhaps locating a tuner shop that can unlock your ECU and tune your vehicle. I am not sure who to contact for this. Hope that helps

Diesel

Adding ARH long tubes to my 5.7 Challenger did next to nothing until I got a custom tune. Would not recommend the high cost of headers without tuning to go with.

Diesel

Reaction score
Adding ARH long tubes to my 5.7 Challenger did next to nothing until I got a custom tune. Would not recommend the high cost of headers without tuning to go with.
DTru, I would agree with you in that fact, but fairly sure you gained some performance for adding headers alone. It does take a good 500-750 miles for the ECU to pick up the added benefit. People don't wait long enough, they want results right away. It just doesn't work that way with modern day ECUs. Everything needs to relearn, whether it be them mods you added or your specific driving style once you disconnect/reconnect the negative side of the battery. The good news now is Superchips and Diablo offer us a tuning solution. So add them headers and CAIs and Superchargers...

zdeckich

Reaction score
There is no way LT's will gain 50rwhp on a NA motor. At most you might get 35rwhp with tune, Now with other supporting mods maybe 40-45rwhp at the most.

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
There is no way LT's will gain 50rwhp on a NA motor. At most you might get 35rwhp with tune, Now with other supporting mods maybe 40-45rwhp at the most.

Pretty sure I've seen 50whp from LTs+tune on the NA 6.2 from Mercedes (AMG).

zdeckich

Reaction score
Pretty sure I've seen 50whp from LTs+tune on the NA 6.2 from Mercedes (AMG).

Thats also not a 5.7 hemi and that's also more displacement. Id have to see that to believe it. I have tuned several LS cars with just LT's and tune and most we where getting was 35-40rwhp with a tune on a NA motor. now the LS9/LSA would get close to 50rwhp but we can do more with forced induction tunes than a NA motor tune. Just speaking from experience.

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
Thats also not a 5.7 hemi and that's also more displacement. Id have to see that to believe it. I have tuned several LS cars with just LT's and tune and most we where getting was 35-40rwhp with a tune on a NA motor. now the LS9/LSA would get close to 50rwhp but we can do more with forced induction tunes than a NA motor tune. Just speaking from experience.

Fixed it for you :)
There is no way LT's will gain 50rwhp on a NA 5.7 Hemi. At most you might get 35rwhp with tune, Now with other supporting mods maybe 40-45rwhp at the most.

The previous gen C63 with LT's (it deletes the cats) and tune on pump gas can get 50+ whp. I've almost bought one on multiple occasions back in the day, but they have head bolt issues (fixed in later years). It's still the best sounding NA V8 in my opinion. E92 V8 is a close second.

Last edited:

HEMI450HP

Reaction score
The 4th gen Hemi trucks are picking up 30-35hp/tq to the wheels with custom tuning and an additional 25-30hp/tq to the wheels from longtube headers. I've seen many Hemi trucks pick up a combined 60hp/tq and drop a full second off their 1/4 mile times from just longtubes and tuning. Cam is giving us an additional 45ish hp/tq to the wheels.

zdeckich

Reaction score
The 4th gen Hemi trucks are picking up 30-35hp/tq to the wheels with custom tuning and an additional 25-30hp/tq to the wheels from longtube headers. I've seen many Hemi trucks pick up a combined 60hp/tq and drop a full second off their 1/4 mile times from just longtubes and tuning. Cam is giving us an additional 45ish hp/tq to the wheels.

Show me a dyno of the same truck stock and one with headers and tune picking up 60rwhp. Id like to see that. Id also like to see a time slip of picking up a full second.

SColang22

Reaction score
HP/TQ doesn't add together like that. They compliment each other but they don't just stack.

chois

Reaction score

Diesel

While you are correct that the engine will 'self adjust' to the improved volumetric efficiency from the headers, that will be based on a combination of MAF,TPS,Engine Speed - if there were a significant change in the airflow you might get to where the AFR changes enough for fuel trims to be added, but I'm not sure a bolt on header gets you there.

As others mentioned this is more of a combination deal. The right headers matched with the right cam, the right tune and the right intake might make a nice hp bump, while any one or two of those make little improvement. I completely agree that a custom tune is nice for maximum improvement, but for a street driven vehicle, I'd be sure to have that tune created with a wide safety factor. It's not like I'm refueling from a barrel of sunoco with this thing...

Rogues Gambit

Reaction score
Curious, anyone have a sound clip of either LT's with a stock exhaust, since I got neighbors and HOA, so I figure headers and if possible, Borla Touring

lrobbi

Reaction score
Just for reference:

You can see all my mods in my signature, but hear are the main.... LT Headers, 87 TB, .5 CAM, CAI, B2 Exhaust and Tune by Jay Greene.

rwhp was 374 / rwtq 418 with just a basic tune after that Jay Greene started with a few adjustments and data logging it more and more... Now we believe it is about 385 or more.... I will go have another dyno done next year. For sure there is still a little more hp left in it. Jay is supper at tuning, I know I will be or I am already am at 400 rwhp.

the first pull was 341 rwhp with mods of: LT Headers, 87 TB, CAI and the B2 Exhaust

Hope this info is helpful. see dyno chart attached.... Keeping in mind this is before Jay started doing multiple tunes and me sending him data log... data log ;)

Attachments

• Dyno 374.pdf
    256.8 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread