5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hauling 14ft V bottom in truck bed with extender

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm considering buying a Lowe 14ft V (Sport V-1986 or 87) from a family member for a very good price. I do not have any room for a trailer where I live and can't afford to pay to store a boat. I was hoping to use a bed extender to help support this boat with part of it in my bed, part supported by the extender, and all of it obviously ratcheted down. Now the questions:

1. Any genius ideas for unloading this boat off the extender into the water? My original plan was a Lowe jon boat, which was only more like 75 pounds, but from an old Lowe catalog I found, it looks like the Sport V is 150 pounds. By the time you figure in the motor, battery, trolling motor, gas, the weight is definitely more than I planned.
2. Similar, loading it back up into the boat?
3. I think I can build a dolly at bed height to easily slide it into the truck and off once I'm home. Although, I will have to be able to adjust the dolly sides to turn the boat sideways to get through my backyard gate.

Or is this all just too much of a PITA? I want to be able to take my son out fishing more, and a boat is the way to do it and actually have better luck where we are. We'd both be wet often if I put him in a canoe. :)
I already ordered an extender, but I can return it. Before I buy the boat, I need to make sure I'm not biting off more than I can chew. Any suggestions or thoughts?

Capt Joe

Reaction score
That's a lot of boat in that bed
My guess is that it still sticks out 6 feet. How heavy is it....can you and your son even lift it in there?

How about modifying this.

They fold up and stand upright....I bet you could fab some bunks for it easily.

Joe

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As a boater and prior 12' kayak owner, yes, you are biting off more than you can chew with a 14' boat in that weight class. You are better off buying a trailer and renting a storage spot, either inside or outside, depending on your wants/ needs at a local storage facility.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As a boater and prior 12' kayak owner, yes, you are biting off more than you can chew with a 14' boat in that weight class. You are better off buying a trailer and renting a storage spot, either inside or outside, depending on your wants/ needs at a local storage facility.

Yes, I know you are correct of course. :) I have seen a toy loader winch I could hook up by the front of the cab to help with loading. But that is another cost of course. I think if this was the 75 pound jon boat, I would be ok. There are plenty of youtube videos of easier mods for that weight class. The storage options just seems cost prohibitive, as they all start at about 100 per month.

I may located an alternative however. A friend is willing to let me put it on his property, as long as I can wheel into the woods and out of sight. I'm going to check it out tonight.

And captJoe, that folding trailer looks pretty handy. I do think I would end up spending as much on modding it as the cost of the trailer though. It is certainly an option, but cost might not make it an attractive one right. Of course, i could temporarily store this on my dads land two hours away and spend the summer modifying this trailer too.

Thanks guys!

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, I know you are correct of course. :) I have seen a toy loader winch I could hook up by the front of the cab to help with loading. But that is another cost of course. I think if this was the 75 pound jon boat, I would be ok. There are plenty of youtube videos of easier mods for that weight class. The storage options just seems cost prohibitive, as they all start at about 100 per month.

LOL .... The things us anglers will put ourselves through. As I often say, where there is a will, there is a way. Just be friendly to your wallet and don't get in too deep. Boats are a love / hate thing and sometimes the love comes from getting rid of them. ;)

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
LOL .... The things us anglers will put ourselves through. As I often say, where there is a will, there is a way. Just be friendly to your wallet and don't get in too deep. Boats are a love / hate thing and sometimes the love comes from getting rid of them. ;)

Haha, yes. I'm primarily doing it to try and feed the flame for my son. I grew up rural, so I had tons of farm ponds and assorted fishing boats at my disposal to hit the lakes. We are in the city, so our fishing has been limited to standing off the dock or a few spots on the perimeter of lakes. Needless to say, not quite the same results to make it really fun for him. He does enjoy it though.

The cost factor on this is the attractive thing as far as the boat. It is a Lowe 14ft Sport V, with an 8.8 HP Mercury motor, trolling motor, two anchors, two seats, and a nice trailer with lights, etc, for 1K. Best of all, it is my wife's cousin and I know how they care for their stuff. They are just upgrading as their family has outgrown in and they spend a lot of time on the lake. I think I'm getting a good price on it (they said OBO, but I'm not bartering with family when I think the price is already good.)

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Here is a pic of my bed extender holding 10 foot kayaks with a 6'6" bed
20170704_113857.jpg

That is a lot of boat in the bed of a truck.

Did you mean or happen to see the bed extension that mounts in the reciever hitch?
Screenshot_20190422-105820_Samsung Internet.jpg
That might be an option also.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here is a pic of my bed extender holding 10 foot kayaks with a 6'6" bed
View attachment 22895

That is a lot of boat in the bed of a truck.

Did you mean or happen to see the bed extension that mounts in the reciever hitch?
View attachment 22896
That might be an option also.

I realize now how unclear i was. Yes. I was not talking about my Mopar bed extender, but a hitch extender. I ordered this Darby one:

Even though I think I'm going to now be able to use the trailer at my friend's property, I'll likely keep this hitch extender. I can see it being useful for sure at various points

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We are also in the process of doing this to our paddle boat.
20190422_110803.jpg
Ours fits very well in a shortbed Dodge...err...Ram Truck. And I can load it myself but one person's help is appreciated.

This is why I opted for the 8 foot bed this time lol.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I realize now how unclear i was. Yes. I was not talking about my Mopar bed extender, but a hitch extender. I ordered this Darby one:

Even though I think I'm going to now be able to use the trailer at my friend's property, I'll likely keep this hitch extender. I can see it being useful for sure at various points
After I re read your post i thought that is what you meant. I see alot of people hauling canoes and John boats that way.

The trailer will be much easier, and leave the bed for the other stuff you will need once your son and you get out into the great outdoors.

Good luck

Capt Joe

Reaction score
Man the things we do to get away from the piers... I wish you all the luck and if you need any advise feel free to ask. I literally grew up on boats, I'm the captain of the Kirby Moran. She is a new 6000 hp Tractor Tug with a mission of Docking the largest ships that come into New York Harbor. I also own a 22 ft Sea Pro walkaround that is moored in Cape May NJ, about 2 hours from where I live. I'm even currently writing this from the captains quarters onboard the Kirby. I'm a Naval Architect, an Engineer, Master, and an avid fisherman. .....so, boats my thing...lol

easiest option will be a dedicated trailer...but keep it simple and fun...remember lifejackets!

Attachments

• kirby working msc ship.jpg
    kirby working msc ship.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 14
  • 20180903_135835.jpg
    20180903_135835.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 15

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just to add on that folding trailer option - I've had one for the last 6-8yrs and say the worst thing about it are the storage wheels; it's so stupidly useful for hauling little things, that it's worth having around. Toss some marine ply on it and mod to your hearts content...

Good luck and looking forward to what you do! thinking about loading in the bed, you can setup pulleys to the cab-side tie downs and hand rope it into the bed or even get a cheaper 12v winch to make it easier

Users who are viewing this thread