5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has anyone installed the flow master fx?

Jimmy5678

Reaction score
I am looking to install a flow master fx muffler on my 2020 ram 1500 bighorn v8 hemi with dual exhaust tips. I was wondering what I would need to do a bolt on install.

James1414d

Reaction score
I have it on my truck. It sounds nice to me. not too loud, but sounds more aggressive when you get on it. Nice rumble. pretty darn quiet in the cab while cruising.
You need make one cut to the exhaust pipe, which was super easy with a cheapo chain style exhaust pipe cutter. The other end bolts to the flange.
I'm happy with it.

Jimmy5678

Reaction score
I have it on my truck. It sounds nice to me. not too loud, but sounds more aggressive when you get on it. Nice rumble. pretty darn quiet in the cab while cruising.
You need make one cut to the exhaust pipe, which was super easy with a cheapo chain style exhaust pipe cutter. The other end bolts to the flange.
I'm happy with it.
Did you get the direct fit one?

der9765

Reaction score
I am looking to install a flow master fx muffler on my 2020 ram 1500 bighorn v8 hemi with dual exhaust tips. I was wondering what I would need to do a bolt on install.
If you have any reputable shop near you just buy the muffler and have it installed. I bought the muffler for $40 and my local shop charged $44 for the install. Saved around $200 vs. buying the direct fit kit. Plus, I didn't have to do any work!

J92JRamsport

Reaction score
I have it. One cut. Had it on on 20 min. (also have a hoist to work on ;))

PART# 717847 NOTE! you have to reuse the gasket of the OE pipe. Dont throw it out.

Baron74

Reaction score
Yep, I put on the direct fit FX a couple weeks ago. The cutting and bolting was easy. The damn hangers were a pain for me though. Still went on in about 30 minutes. I just moved my truck up to off road 2 and slid under.

SilverNight2020

Reaction score
If you have any reputable shop near you just buy the muffler and have it installed. I bought the muffler for $40 and my local shop charged $44 for the install. Saved around $200 vs. buying the direct fit kit. Plus, I didn't have to do any work!
I was considering doing just the muffler. Do you think it sounds any different than the direct fit Flow FX kit?

der9765

Reaction score
I was considering doing just the muffler. Do you think it sounds any different than the direct fit Flow FX kit?
I haven't heard the direct fit so I can't compare to what I have. I can tell you it isn't super loud. Slight increase over stock. At highway speeds I don't hear it. When I jump on it I notice a better sound vs. stock. Almost wish it were a touch louder though.

SilverNight2020

Reaction score
I haven't heard the direct fit so I can't compare to what I have. I can tell you it isn't super loud. Slight increase over stock. At highway speeds I don't hear it. When I jump on it I notice a better sound vs. stock. Almost wish it were a touch louder though.
Have you considered doing a rear resonator delete?

SilverNight2020

Reaction score
I think I'm going to remove them. The sound from the weepers drives me nuts when I hear it.
I am interested to know how that sounds when you get it done. I am leasing my truck and I don't want to dump a lot of money into the exhaust if I can find some way to get a little bit louder and deeper sound. I also back my truck into my garage and even a stock cold start sounds fairly loud in there.

der9765

Reaction score
I am interested to know how that sounds when you get it done. I am leasing my truck and I don't want to dump a lot of money into the exhaust if I can find some way to get a little bit louder and deeper sound. I also back my truck into my garage and even a stock cold start sounds fairly loud in there.
I've also read some guys just plug the holes on the resonators. Might be a cheap option and not noticable when you turn in your lease.

SilverNight2020

Reaction score
I've also read some guys just plug the holes on the resonators. Might be a cheap option and not noticable when you turn in your lease.
I don't think there is any issue with me turning in the truck with aftermarket exhaust at the end of the lease, it's mainly just the money factor and the loudness in the garage on start up. I am still working everyday and I go to work at night when my kids are asleep, so I am not looking for a crazy expensive or crazy loud system.

Bubba33

Reaction score
I have the fx direct fit. It sounds good not too loud no drone. Louder at cold start and when you get on it. These guys putting a 40 dollar muffler on ,it is not the fx. The fx is stainless, there's will rust out. Just keep that in mind.

hdgmctruck04

Reaction score
Bought it as soon as I could get it from Flowmaster. Absolutely LOVE it! Perfect tone. Just enough to tell everyone get the hell outta the way, there's a real truck coming through. Took maybe half hour to install on the lift.

jabara572

Reaction score

I have had the flow FX for about 4 months and just did the B2Fab resonator delete. All i can say is....holy hell.... I would estimate it got between 50-75% louder when on the gas hard. Still fairly quiet putting around easy, more rumble at idle/parking lot speeds, but when you step on it...it actually gets pretty darn loud. I would consider the flow Fx by itself a "quiet" option, deleting the resonators made it "medium" loud. I'm actually amazed how much louder it got, i think its every bit as much of a change as going from stock to flow FX. Needless to say I love it, and I actually think the MDS got less noticeable somehow. But if you like the Flow FX being quiet... deleting the resonators put mine fairly into the "noticeably loud" category.

I always thought the Flow FX sounded good just quiet, after resonator delete I can actually hear the sound coming out behind the truck, before it was just kind of this muted sound in the middle of the truck. You can tell you're pumping out some volume behind the truck now.

der9765

Reaction score
I have the fx direct fit. It sounds good not too loud no drone. Louder at cold start and when you get on it. These guys putting a 40 dollar muffler on ,it is not the fx. The fx is stainless, there's will rust out. Just keep that in mind.

$40...stainless steel

AJW1054

Reaction score
Ive been looking for an upgrade for my 2020 Ram Rebel. I think stock is too quiet. Im looking for something that has a little more rumble. Something you can tell is not stock, but not too much more. I dont want obnoxious. Ive been looking at magnaflow direct fit, flowmaster flow fx direct fit or the mopar catback. I was sold on the mopar catback but after watching some vids, it may be too loud. Just looking for a deep rumble thats not too loud or drones. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread