5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has any used a Soft Topper

Kooch80

Reaction score
what are your thoughts if you have used one. i am considering this as an option. i do not want a fiberglass topper.

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m assuming you’re talking about a soft tonneau cover? If so I’ve got an OEM Mopar soft roll up tonneau cover. Easy install and easy operation - just roll it up and with the hooks To secure it rolled up, it’s a breeze. You can roll it up all the way, halfway, one quarter... whatever you need. Love it. Some folks don’t like soft cover roll ups due to not being as secure and tight a fit,especially if they carry valuable stuff in the bed - me, I never do. I just use it to keep stuff in the bed from getting wet. The sides are secured by Velcro and as long as you pull it nice and taut when closed up, it does great.

5E6C07D6-8428-4BE7-AFFF-791EEAFE7EA3.png

Kooch80

Reaction score
not a soft tonneau. Soft Topper is like a canopy or cap or whatever it is called in whatever region one lives in. they have a canvas top and are foldable.

Stiradarp

Reaction score
I had one on my Toyota Tundra. Used it for the 10 years that I had the truck. It was still in good shape when I sold the truck. It was awesome for keeping big stuff dry, taking the dogs, and camping in. I would buy another one in a heartbeat without hesitation. Whole top comes off in about 5 or so minutes. Only downside is that the rails sit on top of the bed rails so you can’t really run a tonneau cover too.

My1stHemi

Reaction score
I got one this spring. I like it for what it is and the flexibility it offers. On my 3rd gen 2500 w/8’ box I had a leer 100r. That was a great canopy but a pain when I wanted to remove it by myself. The softopper is like putting up a convertible top or a Jeep top, super easy and when I don’t need it, it rolls up and is stored in the garage rather than dealing with a huge Inverted fiberglass tub.
Rigid canopies have their advantages but for as often as I need covered storage in the bed, And considering cost, this fits the bill. I am looking at getting an external rack built to hold a canoe and my ARB awning and ARB awning tent/room.
I believe it takes me about 15min to remove my tonneau cover and install the canopy rails and all.
61158467-8089-49DC-BF30-F77FD2BEB81D.jpeg L F2DCD6B5-6A72-4987-8359-A398A1B4CE4B.jpeg 0B33962A-D52E-4021-A4FC-A0FF06B19930.jpeg

Last edited:

Rysmoore117

Reaction score
Was hoping to revive this thread. Anybody else have a softopper on their ram?? Would love to see pics!

MileHi Guy

Reaction score
I don't have one but would like to hear other's experiences with them. I have two dogs that I bird hunt with and don't want to have a hard topper on all the time. I'm looking for another solution.

Jdthompson79

Reaction score
Just unsnap the sides, take two pins out and the top comes off in about 5 min. If you want to take the bed rails off to you can add about 10 more minutes to that. I will rarely take mine off. Most of the time I just fold it toward the front if I'm hauling something tall.

Rysmoore117

Reaction score
Ive had mine for about a month now and love it so far. I had a hard shell before this and I think I like the softopper better.
View attachment 98563
So I appreciate your perspective. I’ve had hard toppers on both of my previous trucks and although I love them for 80% of the time, there is always times I wish I didn’t have it. It’s great with the dogs in the winter time but in the summer it can get so hot back there. I also tow a travel trailer and am trying to be conscious of payload and a softopper seems to be the best of both worlds. Is the one you have the gray color?

Jdthompson79

Reaction score
So I appreciate your perspective. I’ve had hard toppers on both of my previous trucks and although I love them for 80% of the time, there is always times I wish I didn’t have it. It’s great with the dogs in the winter time but in the summer it can get so hot back there. I also tow a travel trailer and am trying to be conscious of payload and a softopper seems to be the best of both worlds. Is the one you have the gray color?
Mine is gray. I was concerned about payload also and the soft open is super light weight but very durable. You can roll up the sides and also get dog screens for the windows.

Rysmoore117

Reaction score
So here is my truck. What do you guys think about color wise on the white? I’m torn between the grey or the tan. I’d love to hear everyone’s opinions or if anyone has more pics to share please do!

My1stHemi

Reaction score
So here is my truck. What do you guys think about color wise on the white? I’m torn between the grey or the tan. I’d love to hear everyone’s opinions or if anyone has more pics to share please do!
What color interior do you have? If you have black interior I’d say tan could look good but it might clash with gray seats. Black would match your plastic trim.
I was torn between gray or black and chose black in the event I wanted to sell it. I love my softopper and will not be selling it. B55109DC-5E0E-4728-A360-1077388B394E.jpeg F65BA671-681D-4ECD-AF00-95832CB8C839.jpeg

Rysmoore117

Reaction score
What color interior do you have? If you have black interior I’d say tan could look good but it might clash with gray seats. Black would match your plastic trim.
I was torn between gray or black and chose black in the event I wanted to sell it. I love my softopper and will not be selling it. View attachment 98607 View attachment 98608
For whatever reason it wasn’t allowing me to post a picture from my phone. But yours looks great! My truck has black interior. It’s the bighorn edition pearl white. I think I’ve seen tan on white trucks and think it looks really good once the truck has been built up a bit - without some all terrain tires at least it looks a little funky to have something “rugged” looking on a stock truck. But the grey also looks really good. Love your truck!

bud007

Reaction score
nice topic
As i am looking to order one soon ( i know they are backordered and swamped right now ) but i have been going back and forth on the color , mainly between the black and the grey , for those of you with the grey toppers , does it get dirty easily and is it easy to wash , i have seen a youtube video on cleaning them and it doesnt look too bad
Also has anyone gone with the front dog window or the back mesh screen , as i am considering those options also.

My1stHemi

Reaction score
I sometimes use a soft boat deck brush/extended auto brush or I just carefully use a powerwasher(2000psi with a 20deg nozzle.) pretty easy to clean.

My1stHemi

Reaction score
For whatever reason it wasn’t allowing me to post a picture from my phone. But yours looks great! My truck has black interior. It’s the bighorn edition pearl white. I think I’ve seen tan on white trucks and think it looks really good once the truck has been built up a bit - without some all terrain tires at least it looks a little funky to have something “rugged” looking on a stock truck. But the grey also looks really good. Love your truck!
White and tan looks good in my opinion. I referenced Toyota Tacoma images on google to compare color combinations. Taco community loves the softoppers.

Users who are viewing this thread