5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Harmon Kardon Speaker Problem - '21 Limited

BNeal

Reaction score
So, my Limited has about 18k miles on it. Up to now the HK system has worked flawlessly. However, got in the truck to come to work today and it sounds like the front left speaker is rattling, distorted, or even blown. I don't play music excessively loud, so I can't imaging it's blown unless it just failed. Anyone else experience this?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Things can fail. If it were me, I would start by pulling the covers and checking the speaker for tightness. If it’s tight, I would swap the driver side and passenger side speakers to see if the sound moves to the passenger side. If it does, then replace that pair of speakers. If not, then the amplifier or wiring could be causing the issue. This test requires no buying of parts from you. All you need is a plastic trim tool to pop up the dash corner covers.

Edit: I just realized you don’t actually say which speaker it is that is having a problem other than in the front left somewhere. Same troubleshooting method applies though.

BNeal

Reaction score
Things can fail. If it were me, I would start by pulling the covers and checking the speaker for tightness. If it’s tight, I would swap the driver side and passenger side speakers to see if the sound moves to the passenger side. If it does, then replace that pair of speakers. If not, then the amplifier or wiring could be causing the issue. This test requires no buying of parts from you. All you need is a plastic trim tool to pop up the dash corner covers.

Edit: I just realized you don’t actually say which speaker it is that is having a problem other than in the front left somewhere. Same troubleshooting method applies though.
Thanks, djevox! I was driving so I couldn't isolate which speaker. I could just tell that is sounded like the one on top of the dash on the drivers side. I'll try it tonight when I get home.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I replaced my dash speakers so if you want OEM let me know. I can throw one in a box and send it to you.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
3 year 36k bumper to bumper on it. Take it to the dealership and let it be their problem. :)
Haha, yeah this is probably the best option that requires the least amount of work

BNeal

Reaction score
So, I have no idea what the problem was, but when I got in the truck after work, everything was fine.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So, I have no idea what the problem was, but when I got in the truck after work, everything was fine.
That’s strange, but stranger things have happened. If the problem is intermittent, I guess you should be able to expect that it will happen again in the future. Hopefully you can do a little diagnosis while it’s happening, because it sounds like if you take it to the dealer, they might not be able to re-create the problem. Or they could, but it makes it less likely.

Users who are viewing this thread