5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Harmon Kardon Longevity

klail

Reaction score
I like to listen to some of my music somewhat loud (level 22 or so) and I don't in any way want to damage my speakers. Back in the day I know it was quite easy to blow out speakers but I don't know how relevant that is on this system. Obviously I don't want to listen to my music at max sound but how high is too high before I start damaging the speakers.

Sorry, I'm no audio expert. Just a thought I had the other day when I was listening to some tunes.

GRAYWOLF

Reaction score
I rarely crank my Alpine system above 20...but I have s buzz in the back, occasionally...not sure if it is a real issue, or just the songs...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
the amps have a clipping circuit in them and wont let the speakers blow and even if they do you have a 3 year warranty.
Just to clarify...do you mean a circuit that detects and prevents clipping by cutting power? I’m rusty, but clipping can be more damaging to speakers than overdriving them, right? Thanks.

barr0208

Reaction score
Just to clarify...do you mean a circuit that detects and prevents clipping by cutting power? I’m rusty, but clipping can be more damaging to speakers than overdriving them, right? Thanks.
ill correct that your system wont let you use more than about 60 to 70 percent of the amps power therefore you will not blow them, clipping and overmodulation is what blows speakers not volume I used to own a set of dynaco a35 floor speakers rated at 75 watts per speaker and ran those speakers at a party using a dynaco 400 amp rated at 200 watts rms but really 300 watts per channel never hurt the speakers.(oh and very loud by the way)

klail

Reaction score
ill correct that your system wont let you use more than about 60 to 70 percent of the amps power therefore you will not blow them, clipping and overmodulation is what blows speakers not volume I used to own a set of dynaco a35 floor speakers rated at 75 watts per speaker and ran those speakers at a party using a dynaco 400 amp rated at 200 watts rms but really 300 watts per channel never hurt the speakers.(oh and very loud by the way)
That makes me feel much more confident. I’d hate to ruin them. Thanks for your responses!

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Understood. I have a home receiver that outputs 170 W x 9 channels, and I'm using satellites rated at <150 W with it. I also have two subs, one of which has an integrated 500 W (RMS) Carver amp, so I'm not drawing power from the receiver for bass. I'm nowhere close to the clipping threshold. I'd shatter windows first :)

Users who are viewing this thread