5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hard shift

Axisbuck24

Reaction score
I have noticed at times when at a stop and then taken off there is a hard shift in the transmission. Also feel it when I turn the knob at times. I only have 10k miles on the truck but the transmission not shifting smoothly has me concerned. Anyone else experienced such issues?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My guess is that you are coming to a rolling stop, not a complete stop. This leaves the trans in 2nd gear. Then you accelerate and the tranny decides to drop into 1st to meet the demand...hard downshift. Try coming to a complete stop, then accelerate. That should eliminate your shift issue. The trans is very slow dropping into 1st while rolling to a stop. The tires need to come to a complete stop before it will downshift.

Axisbuck24

Reaction score
My guess is that you are coming to a rolling stop, not a complete stop. This leaves the trans in 2nd gear. Then you accelerate and the tranny decides to drop into 1st to meet the demand...hard downshift. Try coming to a complete stop, then accelerate. That should eliminate your shift issue. The trans is very slow dropping into 1st while rolling to a stop. The tires need to come to a complete stop before it will downshift.

This is happening when I take off from a completed stop.

Dlr121

Reaction score
My truck does the same thing. Have you had any problems on the down shift? When I brake down to 15 to 20 miles per hour It throws me forward a little. I'm going to take it in and see what's up.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have noticed at times when at a stop and then taken off there is a hard shift in the transmission. Also feel it when I turn the knob at times. I only have 10k miles on the truck but the transmission not shifting smoothly has me concerned. Anyone else experienced such issues?

My truck does the same thing. Have you had any problems on the down shift? When I brake down to 15 to 20 miles per hour It throws me forward a little. I'm going to take it in and see what's up.

Hi Axisbuck24 & Dlr121,

I'm sorry to hear that you both are experiencing similar concerns. If you would be interested in an additional layer of support while addressing this with your dealers, please let us know via private message. We are always happy to help.

Mark
RamCares

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a similar issue and my dealership did a TCM update (TSB 21-002-19 REV-A) which solved 95% of my shifting issues. Changing my driving style (can't drive it like my old truck) solved another 4%. The other 1% is personal preference and that's something I'm okay writing off now that I'm 99% happy with the shifting.

If I end up doing a rolling stop (light turns green before I'm completely stopped as as HeliPilot said) it will still jolt me if I stab the gas pedal (but not nearly as bad as before). If I ease into it (even quickly) the shift is pretty smooth. I think it's just how the Torqueflite/programming works and you can only get so close to everyone's perfect.

With the small adjustment of throttle application (can't just stab it like on my last Ford truck) and the TSB update/flash I'm very happy with the shifting now.

Dlr121

Reaction score
[/QUOTE
Took my truck to dealer and they flashed the transmission and seems the problem is mostly fixed. It still seems a little slow going in to 1st gear. It's definitely better.

Users who are viewing this thread