5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hard, folding tonneau for ram box and multi function tailgate?

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
Has anyone begin making a hard, folding tonneau for the DT with ram box and multi-function tailgate? I've used the Extang Encores on my last dozen trucks and really like them, but nothing there for this new one yet. The Ram soft tonneau is an option until a hard cover is available I suppose, but I don't like the soft covers much.

Thanks

LouCap

Reaction score
I have the MFT, but not the ram boxes, but from what I can see any cover that fits a bed with the Ram Boxes should work. The issue many of us have with the MFT is the brackets at the front of the bed , but you don't have that issue. Am I missing something about the tailgate that's different?

RSConsulting

Reaction score
I have the MFT, but not the ram boxes, but from what I can see any cover that fits a bed with the Ram Boxes should work. The issue many of us have with the MFT is the brackets at the front of the bed , but you don't have that issue. Am I missing something about the tailgate that's different?

This^^^

The RamBox has an inner wall in the bed, that doesn't use the corner brackets that non-ram box MFT's use - therefore, any cover that works with RamBox's should work even with an MFT.

The thing that some folks are concerned about is the tailgate seal - since all are designed for the tailgate for swing up/in, instead of from the side. From what I've seen with my Gator Hybrid - it's not an issue.

The Gator fits non ram box MFT's, because the side clamps sit REARWARD of the corner brackets.

Rick

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
I don't think there's anything different, but I wasn't sure. Thanks

Reaction score
This^^^

The RamBox has an inner wall in the bed, that doesn't use the corner brackets that non-ram box MFT's use - therefore, any cover that works with RamBox's should work even with an MFT.

The thing that some folks are concerned about is the tailgate seal - since all are designed for the tailgate for swing up/in, instead of from the side. From what I've seen with my Gator Hybrid - it's not an issue.

The Gator fits non ram box MFT's, because the side clamps sit REARWARD of the corner brackets.

Rick
Has anyone begin making a hard, folding tonneau for the DT with ram box and multi-function tailgate? I've used the Extang Encores on my last dozen trucks and really like them, but nothing there for this new one yet. The Ram soft tonneau is an option until a hard cover is available I suppose, but I don't like the soft covers much.

Thanks

I’ve been scouring this forum looking like you. I texted my dealer I bought from this week and he said he had no idea and mine was the first MHT he’d even seen (small dealer).

I saw one thread in here where someone tried with a retrax. I’ve seen mixed reviews on this forum for the Bak MX4. I asked my dealer but he and I have no idea about the Mopar hard cover.

I am about to say screw it and wait until a hard cover is specifically made for this gate and Rambox. Unless someone here has had a good experience with any brand? I’ve just seen the Retrax thread...

Reaction score
I’ve been scouring this forum looking like you. I texted my dealer I bought from this week and he said he had no idea and mine was the first MHT he’d even seen (small dealer).

I saw one thread in here where someone tried with a retrax. I’ve seen mixed reviews on this forum for the Bak MX4. I asked my dealer but he and I have no idea about the Mopar hard cover.

I am about to say screw it and wait until a hard cover is specifically made for this gate and Rambox. Unless someone here has had a good experience with any brand? I’ve just seen the Retrax thread...

To follow up, on the Q&A on the BAKflip MX4 page a user asked this question. W/ Rambox and MFT they said use part # BAK-448227RB. You can see the Q&A on this page:

derp

Reaction score
I like my Rollnlock. I find that it doesn't interfere with opening the gate as well as is a simple open. the RamBox is a real tonneau feature killer though. good luck in your quest.

Cpenn

Reaction score
To follow up, on the Q&A on the BAKflip MX4 page a user asked this question. W/ Rambox and MFT they said use part # BAK-448227RB. You can see the Q&A on this page:

Check again. They deleted the question and answer you refer to above after I asked the specific question. They now say they have not yet confirmed that this cover will fit. The only issue I see could be the tailgate seal. I had a Bakflip F1 on my 2013 Ram with Ramboxes and it worked fine. But not sure if the tailgate seal will work well with the barn door opening. I'm in the same boat as you guys, need a good option for MFT and Ramboxes in a folding cover. Not really interested in rolling covers.

cpmiazga

Reaction score
FYI. I have a 2020 Rebel with Rambox and MFT. I ordered a hard folding cover that would fit my year with ramboxes, but the cover was about 3" too long to fit inside the tailgate. I assume the MFT is that much thicker than the normal tailgate. I have not had a ram truck before, so nothing to compare to.

cookeze

Reaction score
When you receive it let us know what you think. I've ordered too and will advise...
Received my Extang and installed today. Fits perfect and looks great. Excellent addition with the MFT. I got mine through Summit Racing and it shipped FedEx from the factory in Michigan. I'd buy it again. Part number is EXG-83427 for 5"7" box W/O Rambox with MFT.

Extole

Reaction score
Received my Extang and installed today. Fits perfect and looks great. Excellent addition with the MFT. I got mine through Summit Racing and it shipped FedEx from the factory in Michigan. I'd buy it again. Part number is EXG-83427 for 5"7" box W/O Rambox with MFT.
Thanks for the update! I'm still waiting on mine, bleh...

cookeze

Reaction score
The
I know its probably to early to tell and no cover is waterproof but does it seem lt's seals the cab okay?
The seal system is very compatible with the rails on the Ram. From the looks of the multi seals the should be pretty water tight....

Johnnyb1102

Reaction score
Just installed Bak MX4 on my 2020 Ram 1500, 5'7 bed w. rambox & MFT. The MFT sits back about 1" further than the regular tailgate so the cover has be split between the bulkhead and the tailgate. A little water does get in but thats due to the tailgate not the cover.

BombSquadMike

Reaction score
Just installed Bak MX4 on my 2020 Ram 1500, 5'7 bed w. rambox & MFT. The MFT sits back about 1" further than the regular tailgate so the cover has be split between the bulkhead and the tailgate. A little water does get in but thats due to the tailgate not the cover.
So glad to hear that because back in December I bought a F1 online and it has been sitting in the garage with me questioning if it will fit because the sales people were less than reassuring. I work at the US Embassy in Baghdad, Iraq and was worried that I made a costly purchase that won't fit correctly. I will get to put it in in a week and half and now I'm more excited.

jme2

Reaction score
Do you have a picture of how it fits?
THANK YOU!

zane8000

Reaction score

can you post pics of your solid fold installed and underneath where it attaches at? im using my solid fold from my 14 ram and it fits ish. about half an inch is hanging off the back and i have no seal at near the cab since i had to slide it back to make it fit

Users who are viewing this thread