5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grinding Noise coming from underneath the truck during turns? Heeeeeaaaaalp!

JustinCarpet

Reaction score
2019 1500 Big Horn 4x4, 33K miles. So I bought the truck three months ago and a couple days after I bought it, I noticed a grinding noise that happens sporadically whenever I turn. It doesn't seem to matter what direction, or if I'm in reverse or drive, but it seems to happen most often after I've been on the freeway for awhile and then take an exit ramp and then have to make a sharper turn., or when making a 3 point turn. Dealer said they couldn't do anything about it until they were able to replicate the issue. (which they magically haven't seemed to be able to do, even after I've dropped it off literally six times now for this and a couple other small things) I managed to get a video that you can hear the noise while backing up my driveway. Do any of you guys recognize the noise or have any idea of what it could be? Sometimes it's much louder, sometimes its quiet. I'm not sure what to think of it. I know these had some rack and pinion issues, could that be a possibility?

JustinCarpet

Reaction score
That sounds like binding in the ball joints or tie rods. Try greasing them
Aren't they sealed units though? I thought tie rods and ball joints from factory were sealed. Is there a way that I can check? I'm fairly mechanically inclined but haven't messed with ball joints before.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Then you have ball joint or tie rod that's bad.
Have someone turn the wheel while you're underneath the truck listening, you don't need the engine running, just the ignition to run.

Driven through any deep water or sand dunes recently?

JustinCarpet

Reaction score
Then you have ball joint or tie rod that's bad.
Have someone turn the wheel while you're underneath the truck listening, you don't need the engine running, just the ignition to run.

Driven through any deep water or sand dunes recently?
No sir, Only had the thing for a few months now and haven't had it anywhere other than around town and the occasional short trip on the freeway. It only makes the grinding noise when the vehicle is in motion. The grinding speeds up the faster the truck is moving.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
So my truck was making that noise and I was almost 100% sure it was actually the brakes. It came out of nowhere, it lasted about a week, then it went away and it’s been gone for a long time now. Super weird!

BowDown

Reaction score
No sir, Only had the thing for a few months now and haven't had it anywhere other than around town and the occasional short trip on the freeway. It only makes the grinding noise when the vehicle is in motion. The grinding speeds up the faster the truck is moving.

Have you tried pushing the front end up and down listening to the struts?
Only other thing it could be is in the brakes like something is binding with the rotor

JustinCarpet

Reaction score
Have you tried pushing the front end up and down listening to the struts?
Only other thing it could be is in the brakes like something is binding with the rotor
You mean like push down on the bumper and just listen for any noise? I have not done that yet, I'll be sure to give that a try. Thanks for all the input by the way! I'd really like to get this figured out, really hoping I didn't spend 40K on a pickup just to have problems with it.

BowDown

Reaction score
You mean like push down on the bumper and just listen for any noise? I have not done that yet, I'll be sure to give that a try. Thanks for all the input by the way! I'd really like to get this figured out, really hoping I didn't spend 40K on a pickup just to have problems with it.

Yes.
If you hear the noise at a faster rate when driving and it increases with speed, it could be noisy struts

JustinCarpet

Reaction score
So my truck was making that noise and I was almost 100% sure it was actually the brakes. It came out of nowhere, it lasted about a week, then it went away and it’s been gone for a long time now. Super weird!
After thinking about it, it might actually be that shroud that wraps around the brakes hitting the wheel or something. I'm going to be taking it back to the dealer here soon and asking them about it.

RamCares

Reaction score
2019 1500 Big Horn 4x4, 33K miles. So I bought the truck three months ago and a couple days after I bought it, I noticed a grinding noise that happens sporadically whenever I turn. It doesn't seem to matter what direction, or if I'm in reverse or drive, but it seems to happen most often after I've been on the freeway for awhile and then take an exit ramp and then have to make a sharper turn., or when making a 3 point turn. Dealer said they couldn't do anything about it until they were able to replicate the issue. (which they magically haven't seemed to be able to do, even after I've dropped it off literally six times now for this and a couple other small things) I managed to get a video that you can hear the noise while backing up my driveway. Do any of you guys recognize the noise or have any idea of what it could be? Sometimes it's much louder, sometimes its quiet. I'm not sure what to think of it. I know these had some rack and pinion issues, could that be a possibility?

Hi JustinCarpet,
If you need any additional assistance alongside your dealer, feel free to send us a PM. We'd be happy to help.

Sarah
Ram Cares

Users who are viewing this thread