5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grille and headlight removal

Kaydee

Reaction score
I am a do it myselfer and I'm wondering if anyone has any tricks in removing the front grill and headlights. at this time I have already gotten off the top Chrome Sill that goes above the grill and headlights but now have to remove the rest of it all for painting. Any help would be great thanks

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score
I am a do it myselfer and I'm wondering if anyone has any tricks in removing the front grill and headlights. at this time I have already gotten off the top Chrome Sill that goes above the grill and headlights but now have to remove the rest of it all for painting. Any help would be great thanks
Unfortunately I don't have any tips. But can I request for you to put together a DIY tutorial once you figure it out? I am going to get a limited in the future and want to paint over all that chrome on the grill ! Thanks in advance!

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score
Thanks Edwards! I assume it's probably similiar steps for the limited! Awesome!

Kaydee

Reaction score
Wow , I am heavy into it already .yesterday removed bumper and that took most of the day!! Just because of lack of knowledge and taking care...next time would be quicker ..lots of plugs , push pins bolts inserts. I am going to paint the bumper and Grille. So this description helps me at least get closer to removing the grill. Thanks for posting hopefully it goes well today without breaking any tabs off. Here are some pictures of yesterday's ordeal

Attachments

• 20180813_130603.jpg
    20180813_130603.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 402
  • 20180813_133557.jpg
    20180813_133557.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 396
  • 20180813_133722.jpg
    20180813_133722.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 380
  • 20180813_154319.jpg
    20180813_154319.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 358
  • 20180813_135411.jpg
    20180813_135411.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 354

Kaydee

Reaction score
How do the body shops remove all these parts without technical information I'm looking online and I can't find any technical books yet on how these parts are removed safely. If anyone has any ideas where you can get technical support please let me know

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How do the body shops remove all these parts without technical information I'm looking online and I can't find any technical books yet on how these parts are removed safely. If anyone has any ideas where you can get technical support please let me know
I believe it was @I Love Grits who had some kind of access and has posted a lot of technical details - schematics, instructions, etc.

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score
Kaydee are you removing all these parts to send to the autobody to paint? Or are you planning on painting yourself?

Kaydee

Reaction score
Kaydee are you removing all these parts to send to the autobody to paint? Or are you planning on painting yourself?
Actually I'm painting it myself. I was never in the business but I have done a lot of custom motorcycles and extra painting work on our other cars.. I used to spray furniture and Cabinetry for years and at least know how to use a gun. Automotive paint is a lot trickier especially when you're doing a three coat like base Pearl and clear

Kaydee

Reaction score
This was some pictures from today of me removing the complete front end. This took me a day and a half because I wasn't too aware and had to learn as I was going lots of special little clips and tricks for removal but I got it all by 4 p.m. today. I have removed all of the Chrome bits from the grill backing. That will make it much easier for sanding and spraying and will look much better when completed I'm still trying to decide whether I'm going to paint the whole front end pearl white or leave some part of the grill black

Kaydee

Reaction score
Then I had to remove all the Chrome bits from all the backing which is black abs it's just a matter of squeezing open the tabs a bit and releasing one at a time that went fairly quickly now it's already for sanding then painting 20180814_160236.jpg 20180814_160236.jpg 20180814_160222.jpg 20180814_104752.jpg 20180814_160236.jpg 20180814_160222.jpg 20180814_104752.jpg

marcd118

Reaction score
Wow , I am heavy into it already .yesterday removed bumper and that took most of the day!! Just because of lack of knowledge and taking care...next time would be quicker ..lots of plugs , push pins bolts inserts. I am going to paint the bumper and Grille. So this description helps me at least get closer to removing the grill. Thanks for posting hopefully it goes well today without breaking any tabs off. Here are some pictures of yesterday's ordeal

Does it appear that the bumper has some adjustment? Like moving it up or down or side to side?

Kaydee

Reaction score
I now am trying to figure out how many of the pieces of the front I want ivory white .. For now ,the bumper ,the long wide piece below the hood and all the grille surround pieces but wondering if the grille slats should be painted or not... this truck has chrome so it would still coordinate with the rest of the truck.... just trying to minimize the overchromed look

I Love Grits

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I believe it was @I Love Grits who had some kind of access and has posted a lot of technical details - schematics, instructions, etc.

Sorry I'm late to the party. Here's the info you requested in case someone else needs it. I also included the torque specs for when you're putting it back together.

The more reputable independent shops will have access to a subscription service where they can get to the service information for a variety of manufacturers. You can access Mopar products here:

Attachments

• Grille - Removal and Installation.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 360
  • Torque Specifications.pdf
    76 KB · Views: 100
  • Front Bumper - Removal and Installation.pdf
    292 KB · Views: 151
  • Torque Specifications - Bumper.pdf
    6.9 KB · Views: 58

Users who are viewing this thread