5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GMC Sierra Denali... fail

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's as if they ran out of budget after designing that tailgate. This is no longer a premium brand.

If the tiny 24 gallon fuel tank wasn't enough to send you running away, I just learned it doesn't have adaptive cruise control. Instead, they give you something called "Following Distance Indicator"... which tells you how far the car in front is, but that's all. You can even set the gap. But... WHY?? It doesn't do anything. Are they trying to trick people into thinking they have ACC??

And the analog tach and speedo. Carryover from a 1987 Pontiac Gran Am??

I also just learned there is no gear indicator on this truck. The truck tells you you're in "D"... but not which gear.

Man I really don't get this truck.

2019-02-06 23_41_48-2019 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali Review - It Has A Special Tailgate - YouTube.png

Check out the "Augmented Reality" camera view. Did they layoff developers mid-project?? Look at the vertical lines cutting off the view to the left and right.

2019-02-06 23_47_36-2019 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali Review - It Has A Special Tailgate - YouTube.png

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
As much as people would probably think I'm biased, I honestly think for the most part I'm not, infact I was only hours away from owning an F-150 instead of my current Ram. I will admit to not liking GM very much but even taking a step back and thinking everything through logically I can't find any redeeming qualities about the 2019+ GM trucks aside from the 6.2 liter V8. EVERYTHING else seems like a huge miss to me, those trucks are no way competitive with the 2019 Ram or even a 2015+ F150. I'd be hard pressed to say they are any better than a 4th Gen Ram either. They clearly went after trying to retain prior customers without even trying to gain any market share from other brands.

S

Smashy71

Other than the 6.2 GM has fallen way down. Unless they are giving GMs away I will never own anything past 1999. Greedy bankrupt loan reneging and poor design quality need I say more? Before the rebel I almost considered a tundra.

robbiele

Reaction score
I really like the exterior of the Denali other than the square wheel wells. I love the front grill of the Denali. However, they are light years behind on interior features, which is a big selling point for me. The 6.2 is a great engine, but it can't overcome the lack of interior features. And the tailgate, I am of the thought that the tailgate features are all just gimmicks and I have no use for it. (that is to include the new ram tailgate). JMO

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's as if they ran out of budget after designing that tailgate. This is no longer a premium brand.

If the tiny 24 gallon fuel tank wasn't enough to send you running away, I just learned it doesn't have adaptive cruise control. Instead, they give you something called "Following Distance Indicator"... which tells you how far the car in front is, but that's all. You can even set the gap. But... WHY?? It doesn't do anything. Are they trying to trick people into thinking they have ACC??

I also just learned there is no gear indicator on this truck. The truck tells you you're in "D"... but not which gear.

View attachment 15517

Check out the "Augmented Reality" camera view. Did they layoff developers mid-project?? Look at the vertical lines cutting off the view to the left and right.

View attachment 15518

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That "surround view" may be distorted because the side mirrors are retracted. I just noticed the same weird look in my 2019 Ram when the mirrors were retracted.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
That "surround view" may be distorted because the side mirrors are retracted. I just noticed the same weird look in my 2019 Ram when the mirrors were retracted.

I have a feeling that myself and @Electrical watch a lot of the same youtube channels. That is actually a screen shot from a review that was just done on a new Denali. Here is another one, the mirrors weren't folded.

Screenshot (116).png

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a feeling that myself and @Electrical watch a lot of the same youtube channels. That is actually a screen shot from a review that was just done on a new Denali. Here is another one, the mirrors weren't folded.

View attachment 15562
Image of truck show mirrors open in both views, even if in one case the mirrors are closed. The truck is just an animation.

Attachments

• IMG_2965a.jpg
    IMG_2965a.jpg
    793.5 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_2966a.jpg
    IMG_2966a.jpg
    809.5 KB · Views: 66

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Image of truck show mirrors open in both views, even if in one case the mirrors are closed. The truck is just an animation.

I know, what I'm saying is the artifacting isn't because the mirrors were folded, they were in the normal position wheen they complained about the 360 camera and showed the screen.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@Jared B ha! Indeed. These two guys are obnoxious at first, but give them a chance and you'll enjoy their work. We'll need a whole 'nother thread to talk about the Ford :geek:

Yup... mirrors had to be deployed in the normal position because the reviewer stepped through each camera view and the others worked.

I'm with you guys. The 6.2 engine is great. I even like the 5.3 too. But... the COST CUTTING. Before I bought my Durango I looked at the brand new GMC Acadia Denali. The front-wheel-drive bias would have killed the deal but that car also had a cheap-skate feel to it. The DENALI... top of the line, best you can get... no rain sensing wipers, auto-up/down window ONLY on the driver window, multi power adjust seat ONLY on the driver seat. I felt like a bum should pop out of the back seat and ask me for a dolla'.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know, what I'm saying is the artifacting isn't because the mirrors were folded, they were in the normal position wheen they complained about the 360 camera and showed the screen.
Gotcha, understand , now.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
As much as people would probably think I'm biased, I honestly think for the most part I'm not, infact I was only hours away from owning an F-150 instead of my current Ram. I will admit to not liking GM very much but even taking a step back and thinking everything through logically I can't find any redeeming qualities about the 2019+ GM trucks aside from the 6.2 liter V8. EVERYTHING else seems like a huge miss to me, those trucks are no way competitive with the 2019 Ram or even a 2015+ F150. I'd be hard pressed to say they are any better than a 4th Gen Ram either. They clearly went after trying to retain prior customers without even trying to gain any market share from other brands.

And their incentive strategy proves it. Largest incentives only apply if you are a current GM owner, while Ram gives you the largest incentives if you own a competing brand...GM trying to retain current customers, missing the bigger picture. Many previous GM guys on this site provide the evidence.

They were only up like 1% in Jan 2019 sales....this should have been a huge month for them with new and old generation in full swing, some incentives active, and major advertising campaigns.

Rustydodge

Reaction score

Reduxalicious

Reaction score
And their incentive strategy proves it. Largest incentives only apply if you are a current GM owner, while Ram gives you the largest incentives if you own a competing brand...GM trying to retain current customers, missing the bigger picture. Many previous GM guys on this site provide the evidence.

Thats the truth, I got incentives for coming from Ford and even more when I proved my Girlfriend drove an F150 at our House as well.

And for the Commercials it's like the only thing GMC can advertise is a TAILGATE.. out of an ENTIRE TRUCK..

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thats the truth, I got incentives for coming from Ford and even more when I proved my Girlfriend drove an F150 at our House as well.

And for the Commercials it's like the only thing GMC can advertise is a TAILGATE.. out of an ENTIRE TRUCK..
Completely agree about the tailgate, I would be embarrassed as a truck builder to have a 2 minute commercial about a tailgate and nothing else. I would take it as the rest of it isn’t worth mentioning, and they know it. Nana nana, hey hey hey, good by GM. Guess it does stick with you though.:unsure:

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Speaking of commercials and I may be bias but nothing out there no matter the advertisement beats the Ram/Dodge commercials. Love how Ram focuses on human spirit and hard work in the foreground so to speak with the truck itself quietly getting it done in the background, love the stories they tell. And, well who doesn’t like the Dodge brothers racing commercials:cool:

Bhbdvm

Reaction score

View attachment 15517

View attachment 15518
The Tech Package gives you digital read outs on the dash plus the heads up display. All Denali's have the tech package. The only other truck that you can get the Tech package is the AT4. The regular Sierra SLT, etc does not currently have the tech package as an option and the other gauges are also analog. I looked at the GMC for months and ordered the AT4 with the tech package but ultimately decided on the Ram for various reasons (GMC does not have rain sensing wipers, no adaptive cruise control, unable to get Max tow in the upper models, 24 only gas tank, no panoramic sunroof, and inferior interior, etc).

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Someone should go into a GMC dealer and ask for a demo of the tailgate. Before they start, ask if you can put your hitch into the receiver as that is how a truck is used and see their reaction. See if they are naive enough to drop swiss army knife tailgate onto the trailer ball and dent it. "Gm takes a hit in the balls" could be new Ram tagline. And then....."A face only a mother can love" for the front end of the 2020 Chevrolet 2500. See "handsome" photo. Maybe if they added an Edsel oval "horse collar" in the middle of grill to add a cherry on top! I added an Edsel photo for those who forgot or are too young to remember Henry Ford's styling blunder named after his son, Edsel. Maybe Trump will buy GM and rename the 2020 Silverado 2500 the "Erick" lmao :ROFLMAO: IMG_3356.JPG IMG_2705.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread