5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting a spray in liner, any considerations for the shop?

brdima

Reaction score
I'm getting my short bed sprayed with Linex in a few weeks.
Anything I need to let the shop know? I know there are plastic covers for the bed lights (i don't have lights, just the blanks).
Screws on the tailgate?

Thanks!

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yup as you stated. Hopefully never have to but will need that tailgate panel/screws accessible. If bed lights down road don’t want that covered either. That should be it.

geotex1

Reaction score
Oh no, there's more!

Use of a cab curtain should be completely unacceptable to you, and you should be clear you expect a traditional mask and paper job. You want to know if and how they are taking the bed caps off. You want to know where/how they terminate on the front and along the tailgate jamb. You want the bed sides protected from hose drag, and you want to be darn clear that NO ONE steps on your sill plates at all during masking!

Last edited:

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^^Baam, from some that’s been there done that!! Didn’t think of that. Details!!

brdima

Reaction score
Thanks guys!
What should I say or expect to do with all these extra holes? And any others that I missed? Including the bigger access holes where my tonneau cover drain holes need to go.

Attachments

• 62E80DFF-FD6B-49D9-A31F-F63F3FF44EE8.jpeg
    62E80DFF-FD6B-49D9-A31F-F63F3FF44EE8.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 122

geotex1

Reaction score
Are you planning on adding the factory bed rail (adjustable tiedown) kit? If so, then there is consideration needed for some of the holes. Otherwise, there's not.

brdima

Reaction score
Are you planning on adding the factory bed rail (adjustable tiedown) kit? If so, then there is consideration needed for some of the holes. Otherwise, there's not.
No rails. But what would shop do to fill those holes?

lambone

Reaction score
I’ll recomend going with LineX Premium. It looks better and the shine will last longer, and it’s not a ton more expensive.

I wrapped LineX into my truck deal and let the dealership take care of it. I now regret that because they sprayed right over the bed light covers and the bed rail holes.

If I have bed lights and rails installed I’ll just have it done at the dealership so it can be their problem to deal with...

geotex1

Reaction score
No rails. But what would shop do to fill those holes?

They do not fill them. They'll just shoot them and that gives you liner build up on the edge of the holes.

If you are putting on a tonneau, there's no need for the higher end Line-X, but if your bed will be open definitely get it to keep the line looking good after years of sun exposure.

brdima

Reaction score
They do not fill them. They'll just shoot them and that gives you liner build up on the edge of the holes.

If you are putting on a tonneau, there's no need for the higher end Line-X, but if your bed will be open definitely get it to keep the line looking good after years of sun exposure.
got it. cover will be installed. will those holes let moisture/water to come into the bed? i suppose i can find small rubber covers.
does dodge or 3rd party sell rubber covers for the big holes (where my cover drain tubes will go) ?

geotex1

Reaction score
got it. cover will be installed. will those holes let moisture/water to come into the bed? i suppose i can find small rubber covers.
does dodge or 3rd party sell rubber covers for the big holes (where my cover drain tubes will go) ?

No, most will not. The rear stake pockets, which are open on the top can let precipitation get in under extremes. I'm waiting on the company that makes the best fitting plugs to finish perfecting their model for the new RAM.

With a cover, water will come in at the tailgate unless you are doing a cap or one piece lid like the ARE that fully overlaps the tailgate. Otherwise, it will come it at the gap at either end of the tailgate.

SamboRambo

Reaction score
Just had my new 2019 Big Horn done with the premium Line-X. My last truck did not hold the luster that this premium is supposed to keep. Also, there are a couple of unnecessary rubber inserts in the bed that I had removed filled/covered. Much cleaner look with the non-essential rubber plugs gone.

brdima

Reaction score
Just had my new 2019 Big Horn done with the premium Line-X. My last truck did not hold the luster that this premium is supposed to keep. Also, there are a couple of unnecessary rubber inserts in the bed that I had removed filled/covered. Much cleaner look with the non-essential rubber plugs gone.
Can you share picture before/after? What plugs you removed and what you plugged up

SamboRambo

Reaction score
Can you share picture before/after? What plugs you removed and what you plugged up
Sir, I don’t have a before picture. But, it was two or three rubber grommets in the bed of the pick up that the Line-X installer indicated were used for original construction and no longer functional for me as the end user. He removed the rubber plugs and taped and filled their holes. A much cleaner smoother look.

Attachments

• 55885DF4-A846-436D-AC38-0294093986A0.jpeg
    55885DF4-A846-436D-AC38-0294093986A0.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 96

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
No, most will not. The rear stake pockets, which are open on the top can let precipitation get in under extremes. I'm waiting on the company that makes the best fitting plugs to finish perfecting their model for the new RAM.

With a cover, water will come in at the tailgate unless you are doing a cap or one piece lid like the ARE that fully overlaps the tailgate. Otherwise, it will come it at the gap at either end of the tailgate.

I got some stake pocket covers off ebay specifically for 2019 Ram and they fit perfectly.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stake-Pock...m-Bed-Rail-Accessories-Set-of-2-/163287135098

brdima

Reaction score
Sir, I don’t have a before picture. But, it was two or three rubber grommets in the bed of the pick up that the Line-X installer indicated were used for original construction and no longer functional for me as the end user. He removed the rubber plugs and taped and filled their holes. A much cleaner smoother look.
Nice. Thanks! Did they remove the screws on the tailgate before spraying?

SamboRambo

Reaction score
Yes, they removed the screws and they did a beautiful clean job. I paid $100 extra for the high luster, deeper & darker black. If it holds up, I got my money’s worth.

kittyjo

Reaction score
Getting my spray in bed liner linex premium next month for 590$ otd price... let me know if u wud like be fore and after pics. Gonna be a month due to dealer we owe work need to be done

pber1

Reaction score
Getting my spray in bed liner linex premium next month for 590$ otd price... let me know if u wud like be fore and after pics. Gonna be a month due to dealer we owe work need to be done
Please post before and after pics! I’m tired of gently setting everything down in my bed so I’m looking to get it done soon!

Users who are viewing this thread