5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Geocaching and Orienteering

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone else does these activities.

We did alot last year, but it has been so wet here in Pennsylvania this year we only did 5, 3 of which we had already found.

Our state park offers orienteering challenges. We have done a few, but hopefully as my son gets older we can do many more.

Great family time, and a great learning experience for adults and children alike.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone else does these activities.

We did alot last year, but it has been so wet here in Pennsylvania this year we only did 5, 3 of which we had already found.

Our state park offers orienteering challenges. We have done a few, but hopefully as my son gets older we can do many more.

Great family time, and a great learning experience for adults and children alike.

We did this last year as well, for a Scout merit badge. Problem is that the ones we found were in not the best places.
Wouldn't mind doing this in remote locations / nicer locales than in the city.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
They get very interesting. Some you have to find multiple ones to get the info to get the others.

We have a few series our county puts together.

We do alot on state gamelands. They can get pretty interesting trying to get up the tree or down the cave.

Not only have we had great times in the outdoors, but some of them have been great info about local history and nature/science.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We did 3 Geocaches while camping this weekend.

My son did them all from memory and I was pretty impressed.

May try to do some more this weekend as we spend the last weekend for 2018 there

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hoping to get a good bit of time to hit some Geocache spots this camping weekend.

My son is dying to see what made it into the boxes over the winter.

Got to get our packs ready and get a plan.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Hoping to get a good bit of time to hit some Geocache spots this camping weekend.

My son is dying to see what made it into the boxes over the winter.

Got to get our packs ready and get a plan.
Pretty awesome. Post your experience when you get back.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hit a few of the same geocache. I like seeing the kids use memory and woodsman skills to find them aswell.

This is a great family activity, if you haven't tried it you should.

heydre

Reaction score
Careful during hunting season...doesn't mix well with big game Halloween costumes either.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Careful during hunting season...doesn't mix well with big game Halloween costumes either.
We wear all the same requirements of orange when we do. But, we also reserve our time to Sundays when there are no hunters in the woods hear in PA (although I hear this year we lose 3 Sundays)

But this year I think we will be doing some hunting...not sure yet...but next year for sure

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Orienteering class this weekend. Hoping to attend if the weather holds up.

My son will be excited, as we have been practicing. He really likes the instructor as well.

I know, now adays, that you can just use your cellphone to take you anywhere. But, I still think it is important, if you are planning to enjoy the outdoors to know how to use a map and compass.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score

Orienteering class this weekend. Hoping to attend if the weather holds up.

My son will be excited, as we have been practicing. He really likes the instructor as well.

I know, now adays, that you can just use your cellphone to take you anywhere. But, I still think it is important, if you are planning to enjoy the outdoors to know how to use a map and compass.
Agree!
Gifted my son an original US military lensatic compass (tritium) for his Eagle Scout graduation a couple of months ago.
He will put it to good use for a lifetime. No batteries or GPS needed.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
20191213_142114.jpg

I use these ones also. If I will be somewhere where there is no cell service.

I am not a premium member yet, so I just jot down the coordinates on a tablet(you know the kind you write on with a pencil:p)
And then use these to get me there.

We have alot of fun doing it. Each kid knows they have to hold their position until all have had a chance to look.

I think I may have to hit some tomorrow.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use these ones also. If I will be somewhere where there is no cell service.

Thanks! I use Topo Maps Pro (bought it with google credit) for off-road treks, there's some great caches here in Tahoe/NorCal that I can hope to hit this summer. I'll have to post back soon

Users who are viewing this thread