5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Geno’s Garage Locking Diesel Cap

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For those interested, I receive my Geno’s locking fuel cap today and it fits like a glove. It’s solid, rotates over the top fuel filler lip and locks down solid. They aren’t cheap but worth every penny when you have teens in your neighborhood like mine where I don’t think they’ve had their *** beat - ever. A few years back a bunch of us found our garden hoses (hose bibs are in the side of the house right by the garage and driveway) stuck in the fuel filler neck with the water turned on. Prank a few punks thought were funny cost fifteen of us quite a bit of money in metered water and fuel contamination.

Updated 10 Feb 2022: I’m now using both locking diesel and locking def cap from Geno’s.

Attachments

• 7575FFF5-6C08-4D75-865F-D0E141E49DEF.jpeg
    7575FFF5-6C08-4D75-865F-D0E141E49DEF.jpeg
    110.5 KB · Views: 113
  • 12F2E63D-7E8E-4F9E-879A-E391FD6632C6.jpeg
    12F2E63D-7E8E-4F9E-879A-E391FD6632C6.jpeg
    127.1 KB · Views: 111
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I love shiny bling like this. Nice color and I like the DEF cap you got. More practical question (not that I'm at all practical) but is this to prevent theft or malicious intent like someone pouring water in your tank because you pissed them off? Other than peace of mind, is there now people stealing diesel / DEF? I'm not judging, just curious why you added this. I will order it cause it looks pretty.

Link to the DEF cap?

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I love shiny bling like this. Nice color and I like the DEF cap you got. More practical question (not that I'm at all practical) but is this to prevent theft or malicious intent like someone pouring water in your tank because you pissed them off? Other than peace of mind, is there now people stealing diesel / DEF? I'm not judging, just curious why you added this. I will order it cause it looks pretty.

Link to the DEF cap?
The DEF cap is a leftover from my 2015 and 2016 Ecodiesels which I had sitting around and threw it on. Both the old DEF cap and the new diesel cap are from Geno's Garage for which the link is in my post above.

I'm not worried about stealing diesel or DEF. Instead, I'm worried about the irresponsible teens we had running around the neighborhood a few years ago and consider the cap cheap insurance. A few years ago a group of teens - who were never caught except on camera and too blurry to identify - took the hose attached to the hose bib on the side of the garages on no less than fifteen houses in our neighborhood. These are the houses I know of based upon neighbors and comments in the quarterly neighborhood bulletin. These teens thought it would be funny to run the hose conveniently to the gas tank, turn on the water and walk away. That was an expensive lesson for over two dozen of us as we walked out the next morning to go to work to find a hose in the filler neck, water gushing out as it had filled the tank, and the water still running. Needless to say, none of us leave a hose by that hose bib and all of us have some type of locking fuel cap. We're hoping never to experience it again as two of the guys had Cummins, one a PowerStroke, three Duramax and a ton of gas engines all of which cost a fortune in deductibles and insurance money get the tanks dropped.

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, if that happened in my neighborhood I'd consider what you bought 100% essential. What **** heads. (excuse my language)

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The other thing that big green cap does - and I found this with my 2016 Ecodiesel with the old style non-locking Geno’s cap - is it slows down my wife when she decides to get diesel. It causes her to remove a large GREEN “DIESEL ONLY” cap which helps her it concentrate on the task at hand and she remembers not to put gasoline into it. I prefer her not get diesel but after 35 years there isn’t a thing I can tell her not to do so I do what I can to mitigate another potential disaster via the green cap.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It also keeps the overflow from the cheap DEF fillers from getting into the factory-delivered open fuel nozzle. Yeah. That.

Tgryphon

Reaction score
I just put mine on it and love it. Cheap insurance, be it from a meth head, delinquent teen, or angry social justice eco-warrior (all three quite possible where I live). The locking DEF cap is on back order, but getting for same reasons plus keeping the wife from making a costly mistake.

OleNavyMane

Reaction score
You'd think FCA would have made the fuel door lockable. I like the caps, nice touch. Would still add them even with a locking fuel door.

saulster

Reaction score
You'd think FCA would have made the fuel door lockable. I like the caps, nice touch. Would still add them even with a locking fuel door.
Great point about this. Would easily solve the problem. Sigh. Saw this thread after joining the Forum today. Ordering the fuel fill locking cap from Geno's now. The DEF locking cap is on backorder to May.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Great point about this. Would easily solve the problem. Sigh. Saw this thread after joining the Forum today. Ordering the fuel fill locking cap from Geno's now. The DEF locking cap is on backorder to May.
Yes, quality products as I now have both Geno's locking Diesel and locking DEF caps installed. Worth every penny.

834k3r

Reaction score
FWIW (for gasoline Ram owners) I have the gas cap from Geno's--and it's fantastic.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FWIW (for gasoline Ram owners) I have the gas cap from Geno's--and it's fantastic.
Yes, you are absolutely correct. I had it on my previous Ram which was a 5th Gen eTorque. I've been purchasing from Geno's for years going back to 1998 when I owned my Dodge Ram 2500 CTD. They always have stellar products which outperform my expectations.

They have a section on their website that can be a great resource depending upon what model diesel Ram one has: https://www.genosgarage.com/install_instructions

Vinnie.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It does fit fine…feel free to call Geno’s to ensure but there are several members using them on 2021 and 2022 MY.
thanks for confirming. i was reading the fuel fill issue thread and it made me start thinking something changed '21 model year, but maybe it was the fill neck. i donno i don't care, if it fits, it fits!

awesome!

834k3r

Reaction score
why do they say it won't work for 2021+ models?

View attachment 120221
I'm not sure. I saw that when I first considered buying it as well. I raised my concern here and another user told me my concern was baseless. I ordered it and it does indeed fit well.

It will take some getting used to (primarily in fitting it), but now that I've had it for a while it's second nature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online