5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Generator/Alternator E-Torque replacement

RGLAF

Reaction score
Hey all, has anyone had issues getting the Generator/Alternator E-Torque replaced? I have a 2020 Laramie with less than 10K miles, and the alternator went out on 4 September; I had it towed to the dealership that same day. Its been at the dealership ever since with no estimate on when the part will arrive.

I filed an inquiry with RAM cares, and they have updated me once a week since contacting them. Fed up with the "we have no estimate for when the part will arrive at the dealer," I requested to lemon law it through the RAM cares rep this past Friday. I don't see any other avenue, it's been 41 days and there seems to be no end in sight.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This has been my biggest fear since these parts shortages started. I'm sorry to hear you're going through this. Please keep us updated on what is going on with this.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
In this economy almost everything is on back order. Ask them to pull one from another truck on the lot.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd contact a lemon law lawyer. Seems you have a pretty solid case.

No money out of your pocket, and they make sure you get taken care of.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Lemon laws vary from state to state. But ram not being able to get a part, like most companies right now, generally won’t quality.

Opening a case with ram to get a payment or two taken over would likely yield better results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RGLAF

Reaction score
My state's (VA) lemon law is applicable after the vehicle has been out of service for 30 days or more. They did offer to cover monthly payments but that doesn't do anything to help me get to work.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lemon laws vary from state to state. But ram not being able to get a part, like most companies right now, generally won’t quality.

Opening a case with ram to get a payment or two taken over would likely yield better results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Most lemon laws are not based on good or bad faith efforts at repair, and the backorder status of a part is not factored into the time requirements the law considers a reasonable amount of time. In short, the laws don't care about parts shortages or backorders. They only care about the number of times you've attempted to have it fixed, and/or the total length of time it's been out of service.

Also, if RAM is producing trucks now (they are) then they have parts. Any challenge by RAM on the basis of a parts shortage is nullified by that fact alone.

Now, RAM may elect to deny you a buyback if you are requesting it directly from them (which is what OP has done)...which happens often. But they are beholden to the law when there's a legal ruling saying they need to buy the vehicle back.

Last edited:

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Seems at a minimum they would give you a loaner while you wait. You could beat the living you know what out of it to releive a little frustration.

Honestly, this is why I went with a standard motor. Alternator fails and I am sure I can get another, warranty or not.

Users who are viewing this thread