5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gear ratio

Steveo1500ram

Reaction score
I have an 05 Ram Hemi 5.7 with 3.92 rear gear ratio and I am trying to find out what other year Ram 1500 has the same gear ratio... I'm asking because the pinion nut loosened and now I have to replace all of that meaning the pinion gear, bearings, crush seal, and nut but if I can find what other year Ram has the same ratio that would help me out. Thanks in advance

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have an 05 Ram Hemi 5.7 with 3.92 rear gear ratio and I am trying to find out what other year Ram 1500 has the same gear ratio... I'm asking because the pinion nut loosened and now I have to replace all of that meaning the pinion gear, bearings, crush seal, and nut but if I can find what other year Ram has the same ratio that would help me out. Thanks in advance
Can't help you with that but I ran into a mechanic friend yesterday and his son bought a 2003 with the same problem. He bought a kit/tools for $150 to repair the rear, sounded like an all day project. I also had to replace my rear on my 2001 with 83,000 miles, truck was never abused. The mechanic involved seemed to express that it is not a simple job or perhaps it was beyond his ability or time restraints. This was an issue with BMW motorcycles and seemed from the forum that there are limited individuals with the mechanical ability to get it right.
Best wishes on your 2005.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did a quick Google and it looks like in trucks with an automatic in 2005 had either a 3.55 or 3.92 rear and manuals had an additional option for a 3.21. If that is accurate and you're looking to get a used set-up off another truck you'll have to confirm the specific ratio of that truck either using a VIN decoder or other method would be my guess.

Users who are viewing this thread