5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Garage door buttons

Rayzram

Reaction score
Nothing I do will make them work. I have not had issues with other vehicles but tried until I am red in the face. What is the trick here? Following manual to the T and nothing. I dont ever get anything on the dash it keeps telling me I will see.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't recall getting any info from the dash at all. The only feedback was the light for the garage door buttons lighting up. I forget how and don't have the manual in front of me, but reset them all first before trying to sync it up.

Rayzram

Reaction score
I don't recall getting any info from the dash at all. The only feedback was the light for the garage door buttons lighting up. I forget how and don't have the manual in front of me, but reset them all first before trying to sync it up.

I finally got it....went to youtube and tossed the manual to the side. Youtube video was very clear and I got it first go round. I should know better by now to try to gather any information of use from a manual.

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Nothing I do will make them work. I have not had issues with other vehicles but tried until I am red in the face. What is the trick here? Following manual to the T and nothing. I dont ever get anything on the dash it keeps telling me I will see.

The manual is wrong..i didnt get anything on my dash display either. I just held them both pressed for like 1 minute and let go. I've got both 1 and 2 working after a couple tries.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I plan on programming my garage doors next week. Because I've been away for an extended period of time I crammed my 3 other vehicles in the garage and I didn't want to try to take covers off and reach the programming button on the door openers. On previous vehicles I would have to put the homelink buttons into learning and press and hold a transmitter near it and then once it is learned I would go into the garage and hit the programming button on the opener and then scoot back to the truck and hold the button I wanted to use.

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I plan on programming my garage doors next week. Because I've been away for an extended period of time I crammed my 3 other vehicles in the garage and I didn't want to try to take covers off and reach the programming button on the door openers. On previous vehicles I would have to put the homelink buttons into learning and press and hold a transmitter near it and then once it is learned I would go into the garage and hit the programming button on the opener and then scoot back to the truck and hold the button I wanted to use.

For the "newer" garage door openers, you don't need to touch your opener at all...just use the current remote and the homelink button you want to program. You have to hold the remote within a couple of inches of the homelink button and IGNORE the manual where it says you'll see a notification come up on the dash.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For the "newer" garage door openers, you don't need to touch your opener at all...just use the current remote and the homelink button you want to program. You have to hold the remote within a couple of inches of the homelink button and IGNORE the manual where it says you'll see a notification come up on the dash.

Mine are 15 y o Genies. I'm sure it'll end up being the multi step process again. I can't wait for them to break so I can get a Liftnaster jackshaft wall mount style.

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Mine are 15 y o Genies. I'm sure it'll end up being the multi step process again. I can't wait for them to break so I can get a Liftnaster jackshaft wall mount style.

Take this with a grain of salt, but you might not have to:. And by the way, the PDF version of the manual seems to match what I did

1534774013559.png

1534774071578.png

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I didn't have the manual and just winged it the same way I did on my 16', just held the old remote close to the Homelink and held both buttons for a while... voila, set.

Edit: My 16' had a visual confirmation, my 19' only flashed it's little red light.

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Please be aware that some garage door openers only store a set number of codes, in the case of mine, 7. If you have several separate openers, and have gone through multiple vehicles you'll need to erase ALL the stored codes and start over to free up space.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Please be aware that some garage door openers only store a set number of codes, in the case of mine, 7. If you have several separate openers, and have gone through multiple vehicles you'll need to erase ALL the stored codes and start over to free up space.
So you're saying that I'm going to need to start installing double-wide garage doors if I want more than 7 bays?

I'd LOVE to have that problem :)

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So you're saying that I'm going to need to start installing double-wide garage doors if I want more than 7 bays?

I'd LOVE to have that problem :)
Haha, I'm not that much of a high roller! So if you have two clickers, and go through 5 cars over the years you might reach the limit of codes and you'd need to erase them all and start over. Not sure if that's the case with the new ones though.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I set mine up per the manual for both gate and garage w/o issues, on the first try, so apparently YMMV...

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I live in apartments and I have a key fob with a button for the gate and my garage. I reset the home link. I then hold both the home link button down and my button to my garage. It does not blink rapidly like it’s suppose to. I hold it for a minute and then the slow blink turn off. I’m worried that the remote light doesn’t stay on past 4 seconds when pressed. Does this mean the signal is off and therefor the home link is not grabbing it? Previous fob lights with garage buttons would stay on throughout the hold.

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I set mine up per the manual for both gate and garage w/o issues, on the first try, so apparently YMMV...[/QUOTE
Curious, what is your average on mpg? I have the same truck as you and I want to compare.

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I set mine up per the manual for both gate and garage w/o issues, on the first try, so apparently YMMV...
Curious, what is your mpg average? I have a 2019 Laramie 4x4 with no e-torque. I also thought start/stop was available without e-torque?

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I live in apartments and I have a key fob with a button for the gate and my garage. I reset the home link. I then hold both the home link button down and my button to my garage. It does not blink rapidly like it’s suppose to. I hold it for a minute and then the slow blink turn off. I’m worried that the remote light doesn’t stay on past 4 seconds when pressed. Does this mean the signal is off and therefor the home link is not grabbing it? Previous fob lights with garage buttons would stay on throughout the hold.

Try replacing the batteries and try again.
Curious, what is your mpg average? I have a 2019 Laramie 4x4 with no e-torque. I also thought start/stop was available without e-torque?
No, only E-Torque trucks have stop start.

Users who are viewing this thread