5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Garage containment mat.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm considering running one of these in my garage this winter. I normally stop in the street and knock the snow off of the mud flaps before pulling in my garage. Then, after the rest of the snow melts off of my truck, I squeegee the water outside. If I leave the water on my garage floor, the salt will eventually destroy my garage floor. I figure if I have a containment mat, I can leave the mess in the mat and wait for it to evaporate (heated garage) or just squeegee it out the next day. Has anyone used one of these mats? The reviews are good, but I'd like more input.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm considering running one of these in my garage this winter. I normally stop in the street and knock the snow off of the mud flaps before pulling in my garage. Then, after the rest of the snow melts off of my truck, I squeegee the water outside. If I leave the water on my garage floor, the salt will eventually destroy my garage floor. I figure if I have a containment mat, I can leave the mess in the mat and wait for it to evaporate (heated garage) or just squeegee it out the next day. Has anyone used one of these mats? The reviews are good, but I'd like more input.
I haven't had any issues with just letting the snow melt in my garage, but my garage floor is sloped slightly towards the door, so when the snow melts it runs towards the door. Kind of nice sometimes, but when it's real cold out, creates an ice jam on the outside of the garage door.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I love the concept- quick and simple.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I haven't had any issues with just letting the snow melt in my garage, but my garage floor is sloped slightly towards the door, so when the snow melts it runs towards the door. Kind of nice sometimes, but when it's real cold out, creates an ice jam on the outside of the garage door.

My garage floor is sloped too and it's created an ice skating rink right outside of my garage. If it was just snow, without salt, dirt, sand, etc...I wouldn't mind letting it just sit on the floor and evaporate. My neighbor just lets that slop sit on the floor and his concrete is hammered.

I think I'll buy one for my truck and if I like it, I'll get one for my wife's car.

2019Raven

Reaction score
I have a floor drain in my garage but I still knock the snow from my mud flaps the off the tonneau cover when I get it.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
A friend in Colorado here has them in his house garage stalls and is happy with them. I don't know what brand he has but they were probably just cheap amazon buys.

maybe this: Amazon.com

The one you listed is $10 cheaper on Amazon if you want to contribute to Bezos' yacht fund.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I think I need one awning size for AZ. We don't shovel sunshine.

There's no awning big enough to get away from that gawd awful heat. 🥵 I tried for 20+ years to acclimate to AZ. To this day, I still hate summer in Idaho. AZ traumatized me. 🤣

A friend in Colorado here has them in his house garage stalls and is happy with them. I don't know what brand he has but they were probably just cheap amazon buys.

maybe this: Amazon.com

The one you listed is $10 cheaper on Amazon if you want to contribute to Bezos' yacht fund.

I asked Auto Floor Guard why they were selling their mats cheaper on Amazon. They gave me a discount code that knocks 20% off the price, so it's $10 cheaper than Amazon.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I have to wonder if it would be less hassle to epoxy coat the floor. I gather you are protecting the floor from salt and not really water? A good coating will do this. Not the single bucket at depot but a good two part system that requires etching the floor with muratic acid first, neutralizing and then applying multiple coats.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I have to wonder if it would be less hassle to epoxy coat the floor. I gather you are protecting the floor from salt and not really water? A good coating will do this. Not the single bucket at depot but a good two part system that requires etching the floor with muratic acid first, neutralizing and then applying multiple coats.

I believe the last quote I got was $7k, plus I would have to remove the lockers I installed. I should have had to floor epoxied when I built the house, but it just wasn't in the budget. I can afford it now, but it's not an insignificant amount and a fairly big hassle moving everything outside for 24-48 hours.

The containment mat is just an easier and much cheaper solution.

Last edited:

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Sister and husband in law that live in Minnesota have those mats and they like them. The crap they put on the roads will destroy an unprotected floor, my old rental had big divots in the floors around the tires and behind where the salty slush fell on the floor even with knocking off the big clumps. I am contemplating what to do in my new house but for now I just put down some clear sealer.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
My Sister and husband in law that live in Minnesota have those mats and they like them. The crap they put on the roads will destroy an unprotected floor, my old rental had big divots in the floors around the tires and behind where the salty slush fell on the floor even with knocking off the big clumps. I am contemplating what to do in my new house but for now I just put down some clear sealer.

I put down Diamond Clear sealer before we moved into our house, 7 years ago. It needs to be reapplied. It's definitely better than bare concrete, but I still squeegee the salty water off before it dries.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
The containment mat has been a success so far. This is the crap it caught after a couple of hours driving around in the snow. About 50/50 dirt/salt. I swept off the crud and then went over it really quick with a Swiffer. Originally, I was going to drag it out in the driveway and rinse it off but it was 15° outside. I think it's going to be easier to just sweep and mop it off every few weeks.

20221203_120428.jpg 20221203_120437.jpg 20221203_121140.jpg 20221203_122235.jpg

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The containment mat has been a success so far. This is the crap it caught after a couple of hours driving around in the snow. About 50/50 dirt/salt. I swept off the crud and then went over it really quick with a Swiffer. Originally, I was going to drag it out in the driveway and rinse it off but it was 15° outside. I think it's going to be easier to just sweep and mop it off every few weeks.

View attachment 145157 View attachment 145158 View attachment 145159 View attachment 145160
How do you think that would hold up if you turned your wheels a bit while sitting on it?
I have to do some fancy maneuvering as I pull in, and I have the feeling that would tear or abrade pretty badly.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
How do you think that would hold up if you turned your wheels a bit while sitting on it?
I have to do some fancy maneuvering as I pull in, and I have the feeling that would tear or abrade pretty badly.

I have to turn just a little bit getting out of my garage but I do it very slowly because I'm worried about ripping it.

Could you back in? That way your front tires wouldn't make contact until you are 7/8 of the way onto the mat.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have to turn just a little bit getting out of my garage but I do it very slowly because I'm worried about ripping it.

Could you back in? That way your front tires wouldn't make contact until you are 7/8 of the way onto the mat.
Not an option for me. My Rambar would take out the HVAC ductwork if I backed in.

1670106534599.png

Users who are viewing this thread