5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

G5 rebel towing vs g5 1500 trims

Mjkatona

Reaction score
Morning All. In the throws of finding the best deal on a 1500 to tow a 6000lb dry weight travel trailer. Maybe 4 or 5 times a year and only to KOA like campgrounds. The rig will also be my daily and family hauler. Since the rebel has the 3.92 gear its rated well above my expected trailer gross weight limit and the expected payload weight will be under the 1800 rebel limit. So when all is said and done, numbers are good.. but is the Rebel a good choice to tow or does it lose hauling stabilization due to the off road configuration?

Last edited:

2wd

Reaction score
Payload will likely limit you before the axle rating/tow rating.

Someone can correct me if wrong, but Rebels I believe have lower payload due to off-road gear. Traditionally you lose Payload as you go up in trim level (due to added options), so Tradesmen is the best, then Bighorn, then Laramie, etc.

We would need the payload sticker for the specific truck you're looking at (not the Website or chart from Ram - those are max ratings for those configs).

Do you have the hitch weight of the trailer you're looking at?

Being a hundred lbs overweight 4-5 times a year probably not a big deal but I wouldn't want to be 300+ over.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I don't own a Rebel however the basic "chops" of the truck suggest it would tow just fine. It certainly won't lack any "grunt" with 3.92's.
Since my Ltd has a rear sway bar, I can only presume the Rebel has at least as good as one or possibly even stiffer. (Although the jeepers and hardcore off-roaders remove or disconnect their swaybars to allow suspension articulation).
The lift on the Rebel just means you have to have a lower drop hitch than say a stock BH or Laramie.
Fatter off-road tires could be a bit "skittish" on the pavement however their higher load rated sidewalls would be a plus as stock street tires, even "XL" rated ones, don't handle the increased payload as well as the "AT/truck/LT" type tires do.
So all in all if thats the trim you want, its fine.
I couldn't really tell if you wanted the Rebel specifically or not. As a DD it could cost you ride quality and fuel consumption... A BH or Laramie with 3.21's would tow your proposed trailer just fine, ride better and maybe get you a bit better daily mpg's.
Maybe try for the E-Torque if you are getting 3.21's. (Did I really just type that? :oops:)

Last edited by a moderator:

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I highly doubt you'll find a rebel with 1800 lbs of payload, especially if its a crew cab. Most crew cabs are between 1,000 and 1,600 lbs payload, with the higher optioned trucks having the lower numbers, and the sparsely optioned trucks having the best payload. However, it's very possible that a 6000 lb trailer will fall well within the limits of 90% of the crew cab trucks out there, certainly well within the towing capacity, just gotta keep an eye on the payload and tongue weight. Remember, when you and your family are camping, you have to consider everyone's weight, luggage, stuff in the bed, etc, etc, AND the trailer's tongue weight.

slightredneck

Reaction score
Here is what the FCA Towing Guide by VIN says for my Rebel. (no air suspension) 1840lb Payload/ 11340 Max Towing. Click the Link and select "Look Up My Vehicle >" enter your VIN. IMG_1346.jpg

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here is what the FCA Towing Guide by VIN says for my Rebel. (no air suspension) 1840lb Payload/ 11340 Max Towing. Click the Link and select "Look Up My Vehicle >" enter your VIN. View attachment 31567

Welcome to the forums and congrats on your truck!

As mentioned multiple times on this forum, even though you put in your VIN, that doesn't mean that the rating is exact for YOUR truck. The VIN number tells them nothing about options, and if you didn't enter in all your option codes, (because there isn't a place to) they have no way of knowing what's on or in your truck. The numbers listed are the maximum for what the VIN does tell them, which is only your trucks build configuration (i.e. crew cab, 4x4, Hemi, 3.92, etc). You need to look at your door jamb loading sticker for your exact vehicle payload, and then compare it with the maximum. Take the difference and subtract it from the towing number and then you'll have your exact trucks capabilities.

Here's an example. Let's say your door jamb sticker says 1,450 lbs for payload. That's your payload, period. Ignore everything else.

Now take 1,840-1,450, which equals 390 lbs. That's the weight of the options on your truck. I wouldn't be surprised if your Rebel is close to that number.

Take 11,340 and subtract 390, and that's your towing capacity: 10,950 lbs

Last edited:

brotharon

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums and congrats on your truck!

As mentioned multiple times on this forum, even though you put in your VIN, that doesn't mean that the rating is exact for YOUR truck. The VIN number tells them nothing about options, and if you didn't enter in all your option codes, (because there isn't a place to) they have no way of knowing what's on or in your truck. The numbers listed are the maximum for what the VIN does tell them, which is only your trucks build configuration (i.e. crew cab, 4x4, Hemi, 3.92, etc). You need to look at your door jamb loading sticker for your exact vehicle payload, and then compare it with the maximum. Take the difference and subtract it from the towing number and then you'll have your exact trucks capabilities.

Here's an example. Let's say your door jamb sticker says 1,450 lbs for payload. That's your payload, period. Ignore everything else.

Now take 1,840-1,450, which equals 390 lbs. That's the weight of the options on your truck. I wouldn't be surprised if your Rebel is close to that number.

Take 11,340 and subtract 390, and that's your towing capacity: 10,950 lbs
In the interest of using the data that I have available in my driveway. I have a very well optioned Rebel. It has pretty much everything including the 12A and air suspension. With all that jazz the door sticker tells me that my payload is 1511. So, If I had a trailer with a dry weight of 6000 lbs, using the OPs trailer as reference, and I loaded up 2000lbs of gear in the trailer I would be at ~8000 lbs. I would be well under my max tow weight, and if I load it with 10% on the tongue I would be transferring 800lbs to payload. This would leave me 1511-800 = 711 for me, the wife, the kid, and the dog. The kiddo is all of 50lbs soaking wet, the doggo is 21 in the same state, and since the wife and I are not anywhere near 350 combined let alone a piece I believe we could even stop off for some combo meals on the way to the campsite!

TLDR: Look inside your door. Get the actual numbers. Do some napkin math. Odds are that with a 6000lb trailer you have plenty of wiggle room with your Rebel.

Lize

Reaction score
If you wanted to have a check on payloads of various models/options see this thread:

Users who are viewing this thread