5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future DIY Mod Ideas

Rustydodge

Reaction score
Wanted to start a thread for people to share/store ideas or areas that they see potential for easy DIY mods. Anything you've done to previous trucks or have seen in other forums.

My initial list:
Mud flaps (without drilling additional holes)
LED lights behind grill
Rear Timbren SES or air bags (for payload support - non air suspension
Swapping links (for easy level/lift of air suspension
On board air compressor
Gooseneck/5th wheel hitch
In channel window visors
WIndow/eyebrow tint
Best drop in replacement air filter (better flow)
Good drop in replacement muffler (better sound and flow)

For the DT, i see a nice potential for reverse LED lights or brake lights/turn signals mounted on the rear bumper (each side of license plate (where rumored ramps would slide)

Mods to increase performance of BSG and battery pack on e-torque?

J

jimh4662@

Dang! Have to drag a 24x24 Mohawk Carpet around so when you park it, its already in Show status. It will Be nice.. Unlimited potential.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll probably do the same as I have on my current truck.

In channel Ventvisors, Magnaflow exhaust, front window tint, probably do that new Mopar CAI and then wait until the warranty is up for the exciting stuff.
1f609.png

I was originally planning on getting the whipple supercharger kit for my 4th gen but since I'll be upgrading to a 5th gen soon, I don't see the point.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Looking at:
Tint
Paint Protection film on front end like I did on my Outdoorsman
looking at Mopar Off-Road running boards or something similar
Bakflip MX4 cover
Opt7 Led tailgate lightbar(taking off my Outdoorsman)
Smittybilt lightbar and Rigid Led lighter(taking that off my Outdoorsman)
adding my Volunteer firefighter emergency lights
husky mudflaps
and probably a few other things too

D

Deleted member103

My "future" Big Horn Quad V6 4X4 Off-Road will probably get some added dark tint on Windshield down to the USA legal limit - don't like using the visors except to outbound.
I already have an ARB Portable Compressor for the G.C.'s tires - air down/up off roading, and for the Raft ! I prefer not permanently mounting this item as it is expensive and sometimes it comes in handy say at a friends place and I didn't drive there !?
Lots of Weathertech items - windows, mats !?
Like the Mopar or 3rd party Rock/Running-Board side protection + a Good place to "bang off the Wading Boots or the footwear & better access to roof or . . . ?
Front &/Or Rear LED bar(s) IF RAM FAILS in Changing their Build & Price for the V6 & LED's !? They WON'T be a MOPAR item, since they would of Failed on that front !
Paint Protection Film - YES, probably just the SIDES to start -- it is where my G.C. has one "Beauty Mark" thanks to a narrow RR Trail and ingrown bushes !
AFE airflow for me - but probably, as you say, just a Drop-In version this time ( to start ) . My 2003 1500 had the full system under the hood. I just in fact used my 1st one on the G.C. last week, Early, as usual / Jared, being a "perfectionist" an-all !
and of course -- the Tonneau OR CAP & BedRug, and maybe a drawer system vs; RamBox -- I like the 'DECKED' brand for it's lightness & load carrying !

DSOOBY

Reaction score
My list is as follows in two catagories since modding has already begun.

Completed:
Front Window Tint
Line-X Platinum
OEM Rubber floor mats (this one is cheating but my truck didnt come with them so I picked them up... They are great and everyone should get them!)

To be Completeted:
Bilstein 5100's @ 2.8" (if thats the max setting to sit totally level)
20x10 -18 offset Fuel Vandals
305/55/R20 Toyo Open Country RT's
Carven Progressive exhaust

Maybe's:
Front protection film
Lomax Bed Cover
Mopar bed utility rails
Mopar Fold out step
stock apline subwoofer swap... This one I'm really on the fence on because it really does sounds great as is, but there are a few times where I find myself missing the extra punch my old system had. I'll let someone else ford the waters first to figure out what subwoofer works best in the new enclosure. I'll bet the Pioneer still works.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
DSOOBY said:
My list is as follows in two catagories since modding has already begun.

Completed:
Front Window Tint
Line-X Platinum
OEM Rubber floor mats (this one is cheating but my truck didnt come with them so I picked them up... They are great and everyone should get them!)

To be Completeted:
Bilstein 5100's
20x10 -18 offset Fuel Vandals
305/55/R20 Toyo Open Country RT's
Carven Progressive exhaust

Maybe's:
Front protection film
Lomax Bed Cover
Mopar bed utility rails
Mopar Fold out step
stock apline subwoofer swap... This one I'm really on the fence on because it really does sounds great as is, but there are a few times where I find myself missing the extra punch my old system had.
You planning any fender flares then? Or waiting until more options are available?

DSOOBY

Reaction score
Rustydodge said:
You planning any fender flares then? Or waiting until more options are available?
I personally am not a big fan of them, but that being said I actually really like the way the OEM ones look on the Laramies and up so I may snag a pair one of these days, but it's not really on my radar at this point.

I'm in Texas, we don't have any wheel width, fender laws either.

It's funny how the design of the DT has had so many folks liking design cues they otherwise have never liked before. For instance, i don't like chrome really at all (hence why I got a sport) but ill be damned if I said I didnt think a DT with the chrome package on it doesn't look good. I'm not a fan of "murdered out" black packages, but holy hell the Laramie black made me nearly pass out. Same goes for the fender flares, never liked em all that much, but they look real good on this truck.

J

jimh4662@

I'm going from no fender flair to having them on 2019. I do like the look. The 2019 I'm dialing it back some. No tint this time, just to dark at night having to roll windows down to see at intersection as to what lane you are turning into. That just don't cut it. Second no window rain shields. Restricts view on the front roof piler. Had some near misses with vehicles in that blind spot. On cross traffic. No Moon roof. Never used it except once saying how neat it was. To hot to keep blind open. And no air suspension. I've beat that horse on other post. Since all LED, Won't need upgrade on that. Will put some 275/60-R20 Michelins on them 1 inch bigger makes all the difference in wheel well fill. Gonna get the step, and utility rails, maybe fix the rake with front spacer. Probably run through all the wax/sealant/washes/wheel cleaners that are best rated.... By others at Autogeek. Give them all a try again. Just Made myself laugh.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
I'm not big on the huge bolted ones either and prefer more OEM look and flush wheel to flare offset.

As far as level goes, i do not due them due to nose riding high once payload or trailer is hitched and premature wear on some front components.

33" more aggressive all terrain load range E tires are the sweet spot for me on 20" rims. Probably go with Falken Wildpeak AT3w

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here are my mods for my soon to arrive DT....pretty similar to what I did to my F150.

- TruXedo TruXport soft roll up tonneau cover
- Mopar Floor liners
- Mopar Mud Flaps (WeatherTech's are roughly 12 weeks out - I'll install Mopars but won't drill into the truck)
- Screen protector on the touchscreen (cheap insurance for $11/two pack)
- Changing out the third brake light/cargo lights to LEDs
- Paint Protection Film on the front end (hood/fenders), door edges/sills, door handle cups
- Tint front windows to match the rears
- BedRug (when it's released)
- Bedlights (when the part is available - I didn't want the bed utility for just these - much rather a BedRug than spray in)

I did a few more factory type mods to my F150...but since I'm stepping up a trim level on the RAM it already has the majority of what I want.

jamesfg

Reaction score
Get remote start installed by dealer ASAP
Tint (completed 7/28/18)
Ceramic coating
Bedliner
Paint the lower front grill body color
Tint tail lights
Modify front pre-runner bumper to fit
Install rocklighting
6" Pro-comp lift (whenever it comes out)
Amp power steps (whenever it comes out)
Bushwacker fender flares (whenever it comes out)

Last edited:

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Love this thread. How could you get a new truck and not want to change it immediately am I right?

I want to figure out if the BigHorn’s non-reclining rear seats can be modded to recline with the addition or modification of parts.

Air compressor is a great idea, though others can just plop one in the 115v powered Rambox.

Would love to see some creativity with the Hemi hood badge.

1AAuto power fold tow mirrors whenever they come out (I like the OEM tow mirrors except they don’t power fold! So I kept the Level 1/2 power folding mirrors just for the wiring and logic so I could easily swap them later. Added tow brake controller option.

Premium aftermarket leather for my BigHorn... no offense but I thought the Laramie leather was underwhelming and blended vinyl w leather too much. Limited premium leather is probably thicker/nicer? A 2018 I tested had nicer leather than the 2019 Laramies I drove, so I went w the BigHorn Level 2.

Sub if “necessary” :D... Other speakers as needed after I try things out, some good tips out there.

DARK tint on my pano sunroof to keep things cool. (didn’t get sunroof). Slight tint on fronts since I live in RI... 70% (n) hopefully there are coatings that let visible light through but still hold out the heat. Any recommendations?

Edit: Not really “mods” but OEM weatherproof mats. Also OEM chrome tow hooks look cool and maybe I’ll have to pull a tooth, open a difficult bag of chips sometime, move furniture in our living room, etc...

Last edited:

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Be careful when you change out the stock mirrors, two of the four surround view cameras are in the mirror itself.

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Be careful when you change out the stock mirrors, two of the four surround view cameras are in the mirror itself.
Thanks, I’m just in a little old BigHorn so no surroundview to lose.

jamesfg

Reaction score
I fired off some emails to AMP, Bushwacker, N-Fab, Pro-Comp (again) and Console Vault asking, no begging is more like it for any eta on parts availability

Blazn

FifGen
Reaction score
I want to figure out if the BigHorn’s non-reclining rear seats can be modded to recline with the addition or modification of parts.

1AAuto power fold tow mirrors whenever they come out (I like the OEM tow mirrors except they don’t power fold! So I kept the Level 1/2 power folding mirrors just for the wiring and logic so I could easily swap them later. Added tow brake controller option.

DARK tint on my pano sunroof to keep things cool. Slight tint on fronts since I live in RI... 70% (n) hopefully there are coatings that let visible light through but still hold out the heat. Any recommendations?
I never thought about reclining seats in the back but if this becomes a viable mod I'm interested.

I kinda wish I didn't go with the tow mirrors...I wonder how hard it would be to make that happen now.

I recommend Huper Optiks 70 for the front. Or Johnson insultIR or FormulaOne ceramic tint. You can't even tell it's tinted.

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I kinda wish I didn't go with the tow mirrors...I wonder how hard it would be to make that happen now.
I think your best chance is if Ram starts making them for the HD trucks next year and the service department gets the parts to retrofit. Not sure if it will be possible otherwise since the truck may not have the folding/heat wiring harnesses. Of course the computer needs to be asked if it’s ok too...

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If anyone is thinking about modding their Ramboxes or cargo system in any way, here is a slow paced but interesting video of a guy taking out his Ramboxes in a 4th gen. Hopefully similar to 5th gen, looks easy! He doesn’t actually do any modding, just shows what things look like in there.

Users who are viewing this thread